Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

decline in casual field level

#1 User is offline   paulhankin 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-November-23, 04:40

Maybe I'm wrong, but my perception is that the casual field on BBO has become terrible. I mean it's never been great, but I feel like it used to be possible to find partners who maybe had terrible judgement or couldn't declare or defend but had at least a simplistic rote bidding and play that made sense. Now it seems like no matter the (self-declared) level, there's a plethora of beginner mistakes -- not covering honors, reversing with flat minimum hands, leading 4th best from KQJx, not bidding game with opening hand opposite partner's opening. Not even things that require any thought whatsoever, just the kind of things you learn as "rules" as a beginner.

Is it just me?

#2 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2022-November-23, 09:57

View Postpaulhankin, on 2022-November-23, 04:40, said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but my perception is that the casual field on BBO has become terrible. I mean it's never been great, but I feel like it used to be possible to find partners who maybe had terrible judgement or couldn't declare or defend but had at least a simplistic rote bidding and play that made sense. Now it seems like no matter the (self-declared) level, there's a plethora of beginner mistakes -- not covering honors, reversing with flat minimum hands, leading 4th best from KQJx, not bidding game with opening hand opposite partner's opening. Not even things that require any thought whatsoever, just the kind of things you learn as "rules" as a beginner.

Is it just me?

I think it is more likely you are getting better.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-November-23, 13:59

View PostDJNeill, on 2022-November-23, 09:57, said:

I think it is more likely you are getting better.

Maybe, but I think it's quite conceivable that there really has been a percentage decline.
Several factors coincide in that direction:
- the exodus of f2f players to online during lockdown, with resulting chaos of casual play and explosion of organised alternatives
- historical decline of the model of casual play on BBO
- lack of control of hosts, facilitating bullying and animosity.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users