Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Discards attitude

#1 User is offline   nailseaz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-November-22, 17:36

what does 'attitude' mean . . . . . . e.g. 'simple discards and attitude' ?

#2 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-November-23, 00:55

View Postnailseaz, on 2023-November-22, 17:36, said:

I associate "attitude" more with leads, and with regards to leads, it may
be similar to "Top of nothing", i.e. a low card indicates an honor,
but take this with a lot of salt.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#3 User is offline   nailseaz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-November-23, 07:49

Amazing . . . I wonder sometimes (actually often) whether some people puts stuff on their profile because they think it makes them look like a better player. I see this word 'attitude' often, if it is not something universally agreed as meaning xyz what is the point of putting it on your card???

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-November-23, 07:58

Attitude leads are a common lead convention, it depends on the area you learned to play,
i.e. writing "xyz" in your profile is similar, for what it is worth, I have no real
understanding what xyz really means, I have seen xyz enough to recognze it as a convention,
which is quite popular in a 2/1 system content in North America, I am from Germany.

Attitude leads get discussed in the following thread

https://www.bridgeba...0higher%20card.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-November-23, 12:19

View Postnailseaz, on 2023-November-22, 17:36, said:

Attitude is the standard bridge term for a like/dislike or encouraging/discouraging signal. If you play HELD or UDCA then you are playing a form of attitude signal. Standard carding means attitude (high like) -> count (high even) -> suit preference. UDCA is the same but substitute low for high. There are also attitude (aka Busso) leads, which use a similar principle (low like, high dislike) but for leads rather than signals. The "low from doubleton" leads of Eastern Europe are a form of this though they are best known in the English-speaking world for being a part of the Journalist Leads system.

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-November-23, 16:08

View PostGilithin, on 2023-November-23, 12:19, said:

Attitude is the standard bridge term for a like/dislike or encouraging/discouraging signal. If you play HELD or UDCA then you are playing a form of attitude signal. Standard carding means attitude (high like) -> count (high even) -> suit preference. UDCA is the same but substitute low for high. There are also attitude (aka Busso) leads, which uses a similar principle (low like, high dislike) but for leads rather than signals. The "low from doubleton" leads of Eastern Europe are a form of this though they are best known in the English-speaking world for being a part of the Journalist Leads system.

'Busso' is of course Italian (literally, "I am knocking") where Attitude is 'Gradimento' (like). Bridge terms equivalence goes downhill in terms of logic and simplcity from there... a "cue" of opponents suit is a "surlicita" (overcall) and an overcall is an "intervento" (intervention/inteference).
In other sports it is even worse, as Italian has a limited vocabulary and is keen to adopt English terms, without paying much attention to how they are actually used :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users