Page 1 of 1

Showing interest in a minor slam

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-December-28, 17:41

Hi

Any thoughts on how to bid this hand please
I couldn't think of a way to force other than a cue bid and ended up bidding and stopping in 3NT
I wanted a strong bid and chance to find a likely(?) slam

Your mission should you decide to accept is to do better than bidding 3NT
-if you end up thinking along slam lines how do you get to the best one

#2 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-December-28, 22:58

I bid 2.

At MPs, I give up and bid 3N if partner bids 3. If partner bids a minor, I hope a raise to 4 is forcing and a mild slam try.

At IMPs, I will try 4 if partner bids 3.

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-December-28, 23:46

Thx
I considered the cue and wasn't sure if it would work.

I think a few people found their fit after it. In fact you get 3 diamonds and need to decide what next. I think 4 diamonds would reach game.

I was scared of too low a level minor bid being passed

Regretting not doing the cue bid

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-December-29, 01:39

Honestly, stop worrying about slams *period* until you stop getting continually passed in/passing GF bids.

#5 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2023-December-29, 07:48

I agree with TylerE and in order to minimise pass anxiety both you and your pertner need to learn the principles behind when a bid is forcing or not, and how far it is forcing. There is a logic here.

On this hand I have some sympathy for your anxiety as I went through a spell of partner's taking 4m raises as invitational to 5m rather than slam interest. Here there is no logical reason a cue bid followed by a minor suit raise to the four level bypassing 3NT can be anything other than forcing. There are other ways of showing weak or game invitational strength hands.

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-December-29, 11:21

View Postakwoo, on 2023-December-28, 22:58, said:

I bid 2.

At MPs, I give up and bid 3N if partner bids 3. If partner bids a minor, I hope a raise to 4 is forcing and a mild slam try.

I'm perplexed by 4, can we stop in 4NT if necessary?

#7 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-December-29, 16:45

I'm going to ignore any obnoxious intentional personal attacks to try to wind me up and only interact with people with a modicum of politeness in future - I don't get it - to me this was a fairly complex auction in knowing how to proceed in the right kind of forcing way

Here is the whole hand - NS anyway - disappointed not to have done the cue bid. I imagine I would have considered Blackwood immediately after a 3D bid
Those who bid 4 were raised to 5, and those who jumped straight to game were raised by North to slam

It makes a Grand lol in both minors but 3NT+2 scored well, double lol

#8 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-December-29, 23:23

Patient: It hurts when I do this

Doctor: So don't do that

Patient: *keeps on doing that*.

I honestly don't even understand why you post when you just snipe at anybody that replies.

#9 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-December-30, 03:49

View PostTylerE, on 2023-December-29, 23:23, said:

Patient: It hurts when I do this

Doctor: So don't do that

Patient: *keeps on doing that*.

I honestly don't even understand why you post when you just snipe at anybody that replies.

Com Tyler. you can't keep gaslighting me
Anyoe can see who made the first obnoxious attack - and its not the first time either. FU
You saying your account was hacked are you
You didn't like the way I ignored your attack the first time
So you came back for more
Like losers do
You made the first personal sniping attack. Anyone can see
I tried to ignore you so you came back and make another one
Like all the ones bebfore
I seem tor emember me asking to you leave me alone years ago
You know when people refuse requests to stop harassment over many repeat offences
What gets me is that other people engaged in a nice way and tou are so stupid to think my comment was directed at anyone other than your obnoxious personal and unhelpful snide comment. Go and play with Mike. The two of you must have a cerche you can play in. Or maybe both go and see a psychologist. You both have problems. Work them out together and leave me alone forever

You both clearly lack basic comprehension skills, total lack of insight and a tendency to defame and gaslight
Also the delusion that you repreated snide personal attacks on being helpful and something I should show gratfitude for
I respect the others ut not you and not Mike

You have problems. Deal with them

I have been dealing with your rubbish and Mike's rubbish for 7 or so years now, and you know I keep beng friendly and good humoured andcoming back hoping not to have a thread ruined by one of the two of you. Some of us have faith that people can change for the better

I am giving upon the two of you

And why is you keep doing it. Attacking someone who has loved the game his whole life, but feels very unconfident playing in clubs and on this site due to the obnxoious bullying pervasive in the game. Someone who keeps trying to be nice. To be be friendly. To out up topics for serious discussion only for the two class bullies to keep attacking and then saying its my fault

Well as I said FU, my childhod and whole life was destroyed by bullying - so I don't tolerate it anywhere and I will keep calling out the pathtic people who do it, and seem to need to work in gangs against a selcted target

Am I really such a threat. Why

#10 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-December-30, 11:15

Possum, there is an option under My Settings, Profile which allows you to block content from specific users. I hope this is helpful.

NOT that I am suggesting someone should be blocked, it would simply save the rest of us from the drama.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#11 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-December-31, 15:50

View Postthepossum, on 2023-December-29, 16:45, said:

Here is the whole hand - NS anyway - disappointed not to have done the cue bid. I imagine I would have considered Blackwood immediately after a 3D bid
Those who bid 4 were raised to 5, and those who jumped straight to game were raised by North to slam

It makes a Grand lol in both minors but 3NT+2 scored well, double lol

I would not have doubled with those hearts, nor "psyched" Unusual with those clubs... so I guess 2, which as it happens would work out nicely.

Yesterday I was tempted to suggest 4NT after the double, and seeing the hand it would have led at least to 6 probably better than most.

Happy new year :)

#12 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-December-31, 20:20

View Postakwoo, on 2023-December-28, 22:58, said:

I bid 2.

I play a major suit cue as a game force, as opposed to a minor suit cue that can also be invitational with both majors. In my opinion, (1) - X - 2 -- 3 - 3NT is already showing a mild slam try in the minors. Otherwise we would surely have bid 3NT directly over the Double. I would not expect a random pink-up partner to get this but I would expect most forum posters to think about why we are bidding 3NT via 2 rather than directly.

#13 User is offline   jmcilkley 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2024-January-03, 07:37

To me, this looks like a slam hand so would 4nt show 2 places to play? The reply would be 5c which could be raised to 6.

#14 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-January-03, 11:21

View Postjmcilkley, on 2024-January-03, 07:37, said:

To me, this looks like a slam hand so would 4nt show 2 places to play? The reply would be 5c which could be raised to 6.

After a Double, 4NT in N/B forum might just be passed or elicit an ace-showing response. Even with a more experienced partner, it looks a lot like "pick a minor" so you would probably get 5. You can raise that to 6 here too but you might want to revise the auction when partner's red AK turns up in hearts.

#15 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2024-January-04, 15:56

View PostGilithin, on 2024-January-03, 11:21, said:

After a Double, 4NT in N/B forum might just be passed or elicit an ace-showing response. Even with a more experienced partner, it looks a lot like "pick a minor" so you would probably get 5. You can raise that to 6 here too but you might want to revise the auction when partner's red AK turns up in hearts.

I'm not sure why such difficult hands are posted in N/B rather than I/A, but we have to discuss real world options.
I would expect a sane N/B to pass 4NT in consternation rather than show Aces, I see nothing wrong with an I/A/E doing the same with conviction looking at AK too.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users