BBO Discussion Forums: multi faceted question - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

multi faceted question

#41 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2024-March-21, 08:32

View Postnullve, on 2024-March-21, 07:43, said:

Yes, and it should be standard IMO.

Thanks
For me I think the 2M bids after 2 (no 5-cM) can show the invitational canape.

#42 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-March-21, 11:03

View PostDouglas43, on 2024-March-21, 03:13, said:

Has anyone carried out a simulation to see what percentage of unbalanced 1 include a club suit of 4+ cards?
I've been content with treating it as including 4+ clubs until proven otherwise and bidding as normal, except that I do occasionally make a one-level overcall on a good 4 card suit against a prepared club. It's simple, no memory strain and I've seldom been left ruing my inability to compete in clubs.
Paul
Yeah, I've run simulations on this before (assuming you mean 'balanced club'). It depends on style and exact agreements, but it's exactly two about 10% of the time and exactly three about 15% of the time, give or take a bit. If we condition on LHO overcalling the numbers go down a little.

#43 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2024-March-21, 15:36

View PostDavidKok, on 2024-March-21, 11:03, said:

Yeah, I've run simulations on this before (assuming you mean 'balanced club'). It depends on style and exact agreements, but it's exactly two about 10% of the time and exactly three about 15% of the time, give or take a bit. If we condition on LHO overcalling the numbers go down a little.

Thanks David. Based on subjective experience, I might have "guestimated" that 33% are short. If in fact it's 25% then my agricultural "treat it as natural" comes out slightly better than I expected. (At least half my oppo play Acol, so defence to short club is less significant than in countries where 2/1 is almost universal).
Paul

#44 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-March-21, 16:04

View Postpaulg, on 2024-March-21, 02:23, said:

The Italians like to play a Multi 2 overcall over 1 when it is permitted, but the Brown Sticker classification makes it less attractive.

When the Italians are at home, they are not allowed to play either 2 or 2 as a multi over short 1 in any event where Brown Sticker is disallowed.

#45 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2024-March-21, 16:06

View PostDouglas43, on 2024-March-21, 15:36, said:

Thanks David. Based on subjective experience, I might have "guestimated" that 33% are short. If in fact it's 25% then my agricultural "treat it as natural" comes out slightly better than I expected. (At least half my oppo play Acol, so defence to short club is less significant than in countries where 2/1 is almost universal).
Paul

David's numbers are right and (playing in a country where short club is standard) I agree it is not agricultural to "treat it as natural". Most people are far too ready to assume the opposite.

#46 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2024-March-22, 03:14

View PostDavidKok, on 2024-March-19, 17:04, said:

I think the Dutch previously played (1)-2 as a multi (a weak jump overcall in hearts or spades). As far as I know this mostly has shock value, but maybe there's technical merit. If I remember correctly this was part of a larger structure of artificial or multi-meaning overcalls. I've seen discussion on this on these forums in the past but have forgotten both the name and the treatment.

https://www.bridgeba...n-sticker-bids/

#47 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-March-22, 11:40

View Postnullve, on 2024-March-22, 03:14, said:

Thank you!

#48 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2024-March-27, 09:06

Late, but in response to MikeH, re: (1)-2 either major. On the Open/+ charts, opposite a quasi-Natural (3+ or "Natural if opened 1NT") the following are the only disallowed Overcalls (1. and 2. refer to defences to Natural suit opening bids):

ACBL Open Chart said:

3. A Purely Destructive overcall.
4. Psyching an Artificial overcall.

Purely Destructive is a strange definition, but the two relevant "not PD" cases:

b. 5+ cards in one of two possible suits.
d. An either/or combination of any two of a, b, or c (which may be the same option twice).

So 2 "5+ hearts or 5+ spades" meets b. 2 "an unknown 5+ card suit" meets d. (using b. twice, once for each pair)

The dreaded (1)-1 "13 cards" is PD, but as long as it promises a 5+card suit, 1 "wants to play at the 2 level" is not.

Interestingly enough, they may have won (the brown sticker battle) in Shanghai, but they lost in the ACBL.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users