#41 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-July-13, 11:06

fred, on Jul 13 2005, 04:21 PM, said:

luis, on Jul 13 2005, 02:55 PM, said:

flytoox, on Jul 13 2005, 02:41 PM, said:

I think Fred's comment worths repeating here:

'I am almost tempted to bid my diamonds (since our fit in that suit will often determine where we belong),

BUT, if I do so then I may not be able to express my spade support without getting us too high.

I prefer to try to get my hand off my chest anyways.

Perhaps it is my singleton club and not my long diamond suit that partner needs to hear about'

You always have time to show the singleton club, but you don't have time to show a 6 card diamond suit.

Example:
2c - 2d
2s - 3d
3h - 3s
3n - 4c

You showed both a diamond suit, not enough for a direct 2c-3d, 3 card support in spades AND the club control.
You can't describe the hand better.

Disagree.

The bidding has to go exactly as you suggest (ie partner has make the cheapest bid at each of his next 2 opportunities) in order for you to have a chance "show all the features of your hand" at a convenient level.

If the auction continues in any other manner, you are going to have to get to the 5-level to convince partner that you have 3-card support and/or a singleton club.

It is unusual for a hand that could not make a positive response to withhold 3-card support for partner's major. As such, it is my opinion that even the auction that you describe should not be used to cater to these rare (and obscure) hands.

Couldn't the sequence you gave be completely natural? Maybe responder is 2-1-5-5 (and maybe you belong in clubs).

I have not thought this all the way through, but a good general principle seems to be that you should not withhold 3-card support in this auction unless you are willing to go to at least the 5-level.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

I have my doubts about what is worst, not showing the 3 card support of spades or not showing the 6 card diamond suit. While thinking about it I will take your opinion as the way to go since you have more experience but I would like to run some simulations and talk with my pd about what he would prefer me to show.

Luis
The legend of the black octogon.

#42 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2005-July-13, 11:15

I think Fred's point is that the diamond suit needs a lot of help from pard to be of help in a slam.

#43 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-13, 11:28

whereagles, on Jul 13 2005, 05:15 PM, said:

I think Fred's point is that the diamond suit needs a lot of help from pard to be of help in a slam.

Lot of help in diamonds? Nah...
Since pd opened 2 the chances of him having AK of diamonds are high so the diamond queen is starting to look like an important card but that card will only play a role if you show diamonds, if you don't show diamonds you will never be able to show the dQ and since you only have a king and a queen I think it's sensible to plot a plan where your queen will play.

Example:
AQxxx
Ax
AKx
AQx

In this hand over the 4c splinter bid opener can count with 11 tricks (5 spades, club ace, two club ruffs, 2 diamonds and the heart ace), if pd has the hK or the dQ you can win a slam, for a grand you will need more and probably won't have spade to find it. So the chances are that you will reach 6 spades while 7s or 7d are very cold.
(In the example over 3d opener can bid 4d and then the 4s cuebid showing the K will make reaching the grand slam quite easy)

I'm not saying that 3d is right because of this just that I have a lot of doubts. All the players that didn't bid 3 mentioned desire to show the diamond suit.
I think we have a very basic bidding problem here, after 2c-2d;2M with a 6331 hand with 3 card support for the major is it better to show the 6 card minor or the major? One approach should be better than the other. Volunteers to run a simulation and see what works bets?

#44 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2005-July-13, 11:35

luis, on Jul 13 2005, 07:28 PM, said:

Example:
AQxxx
Ax
AKx
AQx

Does your partner expect a balanced hand when you rebid 2?

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#45 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-13, 11:38

Walddk, on Jul 13 2005, 05:35 PM, said:

luis, on Jul 13 2005, 07:28 PM, said:

Example:
AQxxx
Ax
AKx
AQx

Does your partner expect a balanced hand when you rebid 2?

Roland

Don't be fancy,

AQxxxx
A
AKx
AQx

Better now? Cmon!

#46 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-13, 11:39

Don't be fancy,

AQxxxx
A
AKx
AQx

2C=2D
2S=3S
4NT=5D
5NT=7D
7S

5D=ONE KEYCARD
2D=DENIES A LONG SUIT HEADED BY 2 OF TOP 3 HONORS BUT IS GAME FORCE.
3S=Stronger than 4S
5NT=Confirm all aces, partner show me kings or leap to 7 with some extra features that you have not shown. Yes, Playing this style you will bid some under 80% grandslams.

#47 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-13, 13:02

mike777, on Jul 13 2005, 05:39 PM, said:

Don't be fancy,

AQxxxx
A
AKx
AQx

2C=2D
2S=3S
4NT=5D
5NT=7D
7S

5D=ONE KEYCARD
2D=DENIES A LONG SUIT HEADED BY 2 OF TOP 3 HONORS BUT IS GAME FORCE.
3S=Stronger than 4S
5NT=Confirm all aces, partner show me kings or leap to 7 with some extra features that you have not shown. Yes, Playing this style you will bid some under 80% grandslams.

Fantastic bidding one player asks for kings and the other bids 7 without any king.
Superb.

#48 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-13, 17:23

One thing I hope to have learned from the latest MSC in Bridge World (now that there is an official partnership between BBO and Bridge World, might as well drop some more advertising notes, hehe) is that after 2-2-2-3, bidding should continue naturally. (Rosenberg actually suggested that opener can bid 3NT to trigger cuebidding, but all other bids leave the auction in a natural mode.) So I have another hope, namely that I can still show a bit of a diamond suit after 3, maybe even a lot of them by bidding 4 and 5. (Yes I know the auction may well not work out like this.)

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#49 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2005-July-13, 18:02

I actually don't remember what I bid on this one; however, I can assure one and all that whatever I bid was the perfect bid and I will defend myself to myself to the end. ;)
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#50 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-14, 03:00

Winstonm, on Jul 14 2005, 12:02 AM, said:

I actually don't remember what I bid on this one; however, I can assure one and all that whatever I bid was the perfect bid and I will defend myself to myself to the end. :rolleyes:

lol.

#51 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-15, 07:05

Contestant's answers:
3 13

4 9

3 7
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#52 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2005-July-25, 05:31

Anyone who expects AKx in partner's hand is likelly to overbid a lot.

#53 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-27, 22:10

Fluffy, on Jul 25 2005, 11:31 AM, said:

Anyone who expects AKx in partner's hand is likelly to overbid a lot.

Unless you expect AK of diamonds when pd opens 2 then I would say you are just realistic.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users