Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

response 2 clubs

#1 User is offline   maris oren 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-July-22, 00:15

In a tournament my partner opened 1. opponent pass. I had 3 card support and 5 with 16 points. I bid 2. Is this a correct bid? we play short clubs/
how should my partner continue bidding?

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-July-22, 00:43

2 clubs is the normal bid for most people. Continuations depend on whether you are playing 2/1 game forcing or not, and style issues (e.g. do reverses promise extra values, NT promise stoppers and/or extra values, raising minor promising extras or not, jump shifts splinters or not, rebidding 2H or some other bid promises extra heart length or not). There are many possible ways to play, some sets of agreements are more coherent than others.

Give your system constraints and partner's hand.

#3 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2024-July-22, 02:32

2 is normal for most
Try Advancing a Nebulous 2C Responses for follow ups
I use the above, but it will only contain 3 when there is a potential choice of / slams with other 3-card raises taking alternative routes.

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-22, 02:58

View Postmaris oren, on 2024-July-22, 00:15, said:

In a tournament my partner opened 1. opponent pass. I had 3 card support and 5 with 16 points. I bid 2. Is this a correct bid? we play short clubs/

As said, 2C is normal, your plan is to show the heart support in the next round via 3H, ...,
I guess there are systems, for which 2H after a 2D response already show 3 card support, you know
your system better.

In the seq.

1H - 2C
??? - 3H

3H showes support and slam interest.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-22, 03:17

View Postmaris oren, on 2024-July-22, 00:15, said:

In my opinion, Stephen Tu's post captures all the key points. The actual rebid by your partner will indeed be dependent on your generic system plus your agreement.

A. With 2/1 GF, your 2 bid has ensured that bidding will continue until your side reaches game. However, you still need a partnership agreement as to whether opener's 2 now definitely shows 6+ card suit or whether partner will be allowed to bid 2 with 5+ hearts. For example, I prefer to play 2 as not promising extra length while confirming that opener is a minimum (11+ to 14 HCP only).

B. If you are playing 2 to show a natural, positive but not game-forcing hand, then again your partnership agreement needs to help you (responder) know which of partner's second bid choices convey a basic hand and which show extra HCP and/or shape values.

Hope this helps.

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-22, 16:31

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2024-July-22, 02:58, said:

As said, 2C is normal, your plan is to show the heart support in the next round via 3H, ...,
I guess there are systems, for which 2H after a 2D response already show 3 card support, you know
your system better.

In the seq.

1H - 2C
??? - 3H

3H showes support and slam interest.

With kind regards
Marlowe

In general in every system I've played, 3 would just show the game force already promised by the 2 response, and 3+ hearts. The only question mark is over a 2 rebid, whether 2 can show primary heart support, or is just a preference, and 3 shows primary heart support.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users