• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hope you voted.

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-November-07, 19:44

It seems the older I get the less I know about all of the issues and judges, bonds, etc on the ballot.

Did not have this problem back in Chicago where we just voted for Daley as King and he ran the city. :D

#2 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2006-November-07, 20:49

Mike, where's that blue wave they were hyping up in the media?

All I see is a very calm ripple instead. :D

<hoping that Allen hangs on in VA>
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#3 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2006-November-07, 21:05

keylime, on Nov 7 2006, 09:49 PM, said:

All I see is a very calm ripple instead.  :D

<hoping that Allen hangs on in VA>

Seems like a blue tidal wave at this point close but yes....

With that said I liked Ford and Steele......but hard for a black man to win.

In my old home state a black man may run for president again......no one knows what he is so we will all project :)

#4 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-07, 21:14

Looks like Steele might lose, and frankly he and Santorum ran 2 great campaigns.

Allen as of 10.13pm is barely hanging on:

G F Allen Republican 1,052,606 49.86%
J H Webb Jr Democratic 1,033,221 48.94%
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#5 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-07, 21:15

Looks like Talent (MO) and Corker (TN) will win; the GOP will hold the Senate in a squeaker.

According to my notes, so far, the GOP has lost 3 seats in the Senate and in the House.

#6 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2006-November-07, 21:19

ya sanoturom says it all..he loses big..and yet he is very typical good republican.
I hope steele runs again..but tough in such huge dem state. I liked ford....he was republican yes? :)

#7 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2006-November-07, 21:20

keylime, on Nov 7 2006, 10:15 PM, said:

Looks like Talent (MO) and Corker (TN) will win; the GOP will hold the Senate in a squeaker.

According to my notes, so far, the GOP has lost 3 seats in the Senate and in the Hourse.

Well the rep do not deserve to win anything but.....I guess we think the Dems will be worse? Maybe not...hard to mess up this bad.....

#8 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-07, 21:21

I think he was. (correction, Ford was Dem).

I'd be interested to see how the House sets up now that the Central Time Zone's done with the balloting. Even if the GOP loses the House, a split Congress may not be necessarily a bad thing.

Santorum deserves much credit for staying true to himself. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvannia will sorely miss him.

#9 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-07, 21:35

I'll be brutal about it - there isn't many good alternatives right now with either major party. I do tho think a split Congress would curb any excess that either party would want to afflict (the Dems already have stated that they want impeachment hearings; the GOP wants to throw more money into the war).

#10 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2006-November-07, 21:43

I think the rep want to throw billions in pork.....Dem object as too little :)

#11 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-07, 21:44

I like bacon tho...extra crispy please. :)

#12 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2006-November-07, 22:35

Would tonight be considered "Shock and Awe"?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#13 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-07, 22:42

Tonight instead of the blue wave, I term it "a divided country, part 3".

#14 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-November-08, 07:31

keylime, on Nov 8 2006, 05:49 AM, said:

All I see is a very calm ripple instead. :)

What would look like a wave to you?

The Democratic Party has taken control of the House. The have picked up a minimum of four seats in the Senate. The last two seats are too close to call, however, there is a very real chance that the Republicans are going to lose in both Virginia and Montana. (As of 2:00 AM, Allen was down by 8,000 seats in Virginia. Tester is ahead by 2,000 votes in Montana)

This isn't the victory that I dreamed of. Lieberman winning re-election really soured the night for me. More significant, I'm have mixed feelings whether a pro-life, anti-gay rights "Democrat" is really all that much of an improvement over a moderate Republican. From what I can tell, this election boiled down to over-sight on the White House rather than any real political realignment. However, I consider that over-sight absolutely essential. Also, capturing the Governorship in Ohio is going to be very significant for the 2008 election cycle.

Finally, I hope that the extremely poor showing by the electronic voting machines demonstrates that a we need to invest some significant resources in overhauling this part of our electoral system.
Alderaan delenda est

#15 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-November-08, 07:45

keylime, on Nov 8 2006, 06:14 AM, said:

Looks like Steele might lose, and frankly he and Santorum ran 2 great campaigns.

In what way, shape, or form did good old Senator "Man on Dog" run a great campaign?

He was down in the polls between 5 and 15 points through the entire election.

He has some of the lowest approval ratings of anyone in Senate. (This means that people don't like his policies)

Many of his speaches were down right deranged

He LOST the election by 20 points...

I certainly agree that he spent a lot of money - he spent 25 million dollars compared to Casey's 15. However, he sure didn't provide a compelling message.
Alderaan delenda est

#16 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-08, 10:25

I guess this means we won't be running any more threads on voting machine malfunctions? :lol:

Good job dems, time to put up or shut up.

And four more for the new improved Arnold in CA :)
"Phil" on BBO

#17 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-08, 10:47

hrothgar, on Nov 8 2006, 08:31 AM, said:

This isn't the victory that I dreamed of. Lieberman winning re-election really soured the night for me. More significant, I'm have mixed feelings whether a pro-life, anti-gay rights "Democrat" is really all that much of an improvement over a moderate Republican.

I concur -- Lieberman was a dampner for me as was Ford's loss. I agree w/ you on principle regarding social issues but I think that the Dems took a practical stance. For instance, it would have been almost impossible to unseat Santorum (good riddance) without assuming a conservative stance on those issues.

Now, as long as they don't enact any legislation based on those obnoxious personal views, I couldn't care less what they say they believe...
foobar on BBO

#18 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-08, 11:39

pclayton, on Nov 8 2006, 06:25 PM, said:

I guess this means we won't be running any more threads on voting machine malfunctions? :lol:

Dunno about threads, but I find it hard to understand how the American public can accept electronic voting machines with a record for obscurity, technical glitches, and a lack of a paper trail. And why some consider it a threat to American democracy when a foreign company considers buying shares of a voting machine company, while they are not worried for the lack of transparency in the first place, that would enable such a company to rig elections.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#19 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-08, 12:24

In a very morbid way, I'm happy the GOP lost - we need to purge some folks from our party. We jettisoned the RINO's (Republicans in Name Only) resoundingly. Now it's time to get back to the core values and lose some of the arrogance.

#20 User is offline   DrTodd13 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-08, 12:53

How many times are you going to hand control back and forth between these two groups of tyrants before you realize they are corrupted beyond redemption and only seek to maximize their power. Isn't the popular definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? My suggestion is that you don't vote (unless you have a "none of the above" option) for anyone and that you tell everyone who will listen why you aren't voting and why they shouldn't vote either. Do everything you can to drive down the % of people who vote and sooner or later people will realize that the system is illegitimate. Then they will get rid of the fascists. Death to tyrants!

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users