• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

BBOFlash Comments Thread3 Release 6

#161 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-July-01, 10:37

geller, on Jul 1 2008, 02:55 PM, said:

I haven't read the whole thread so my apologies if this has already been answered.  What are the plans (if any) for adding language options other than English?

Here's the story:

After over a year of working on this thing, we have finally reached a milestone (yay!): if you go to www.bridgebase.com you will be steered toward BBOFlash instead of BBOWin. We did this rather quietly - it was what we call a "soft launch". Assuming everything continues to go smoothly we will likely start making a serious effort to publicize BBOFlash within the next few weeks.

In terms of what comes next for BBOFlash, we are not sure yet. Our management team is meeting at the ACBL Summer Nationals to decide that (among other things). I think it is safe to bet that we will continue to put a lot of resources into BBOFlash development, but I really cannot predict with confidence when any specific new feature or improvement rates to appear.

I expect making BBOFlash multilingual will be near the top of our priority list, but it would not surprise me in the least if we decide to push this off for several more months.

Unlike BBOWin, releasing new versions of BBOFlash is almost entirely painless. So some good news is that you won't have to wait several months between new versions like you did with BBOWin.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#162 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2008-July-01, 13:10

I like to bookmark the login page so I don't have to go through a separate "Click here to play or watch" page, and I've had to update the bookmark every time you announced a new version (and sometimes when you didn't bother to announce it, like last week's v16). Once you release this for real, are you going to stick with a consistent URL that we can bookmark?

#163 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-01, 15:45

barmar, on Jul 1 2008, 07:10 PM, said:

I like to bookmark the login page so I don't have to go through a separate "Click here to play or watch" page, and I've had to update the bookmark every time you announced a new version (and sometimes when you didn't bother to announce it, like last week's v16). Once you release this for real, are you going to stick with a consistent URL that we can bookmark?

Only if we can figure out how to also guarantee that people will get the latest version when they visit that URL.

Our current inability to do this is making our lives harder too.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#164 User is offline   Mr. Dodgy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge (duh), mathematics, Information Technology, fantasy fiction and role-playing games, flirting with girls, eight-ball pool and snooker, dancing, drinking, The Simpsons, House, Futurama, The X-Files...

Posted 2008-July-03, 11:27

Still some glitches with kibbing tourneys barometer display? Not, I suppose, a fatal flaw but peculiar:

Posted Image

note the odd % display (it's an IMP tourney; yeah the pic could be better) and partial display of results when I kib a table in a tournament i have just finished.

#165 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-05, 04:49

I've used BBO flash quite a bit this week and it has improved a lot! Some critique:

I miss partnership bidding.

When I scroll up to read old chat something happens. When I scroll back down I can't get it back into default position where it scrolls along when new text appears. I have to keep scrolling along which I think is not how it is supposed to be.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#166 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2008-July-06, 00:03

I think you have to make sure you scroll ALL the way to the bottom, then it will keep scrolling automatically. Otherwise, it assumes you want to read what you scrolled to, rather than having it keep jumping to the bottom whenever someone speaks. It does this even if you're short by a few pixels.

#167 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-06, 00:55

BBOWin also behaves this way.

#168 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-06, 12:53

Mr. Dodgy, on Jul 3 2008, 05:27 PM, said:

Still some glitches with kibbing tourneys barometer display? Not, I suppose, a fatal flaw but peculiar:

Posted Image

note the odd % display (it's an IMP tourney; yeah the pic could be better) and partial display of results when I kib a table in a tournament i have just finished.

I have not been able to replicate this bug, but I think it might be caused by a combination of new server and slightly out-of-date client.

There is a more recent client available now (the one I used when I tried but failed to replicate this condition). If you see it happen again, please let me know.

The details you provided in your last report (as well as the screenshot) were very helpful (thanks!). If it happens again please let me know if anything else "unusual" happened during the session in question. For example, if you were disconnected and reconnected in the middle of a tournament, briefly joined a vugraph table before going back and kibitzing the last round, and (especially!) if you were in involved in any kind of substituation, please let me know.

Feel free to use e-mail (fred@bridgebase.com) rather than posting to Forums if that makes your life easier.

I will arrange to give you some free BB$ for your troubles and for your ongoing help with testing and reporting bugs. What BBO user ID should I use?

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#169 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-06, 13:09

Just a reminder: the latest version of the program now resides on our home page

http://www.bridgebase.com

I believe that MrDodgy was using a slightly older version of the program.

U

#170 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-15, 23:23

I was invited to commentate one of the US Junior matches tonight, and had to use my mac. Unfortunaly this seems impossible...got the ungag message, but the option to talk to table wasn't present.

EDIT: I actually found a workaround. I went to an open table selected the ->Table button, and then copy/pasted the ->Table and was able to chat. Not ideal, but it did allow me to commentate.

#171 User is offline   HeavyDluxe 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-17, 11:57

Noted an interesting glitch today...

- WinXP (SP3) w/ plenty of hardware horsepower
- Firefox 3.0
- Client v18

BBOFlash crashes whenever I try to view the profile of someone who has commented to the kibitzers.

So, for example:
stokk1 -> Kibitzers: etc etc etc

Right-click that person's name, select view profile, and the whole browser session crashes.

This does *not* appear to happen in IE (6.0), though I've been able to replicate it in FF on two computers. One other thing, I don't recall this glitch being present when the v17 of the client was posted.

Anyway, may just be me... if so, sorry!

#172 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-17, 20:30

i didnt read every page of the posts , but in the current version is there a way to create free tournies if you have TD priveleges? couldnt find it if its there.

#173 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-18, 13:02

pigpenz, on Jul 18 2008, 02:30 AM, said:

i didnt read every page of the posts , but in the current version is there a way to create free tournies if you have TD priveleges? couldnt find it if its there.

Sorry but we have not done any work yet on TD-related functionality in the Flash client. Most likely this will be one of our highest priorities in the months to come.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#174 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2008-July-18, 15:18

fred, on Jul 1 2008, 05:45 PM, said:

I like to bookmark the login page so I don't have to go through a separate "Click here to play or watch" page, and I've had to update the bookmark every time you announced a new version (and sometimes when you didn't bother to announce it, like last week's v16).  Once you release this for real, are you going to stick with a consistent URL that we can bookmark?

Only if we can figure out how to also guarantee that people will get the latest version when they visit that URL.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

How about a URL that simply sends a redirect to whatever the current version is?

If not, can you at least display a warning if someone loads an old version? It's annoying having to check www.bridgebase.com periodically to see if the version number has changed.

#175 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-18, 18:36

barmar, on Jul 18 2008, 09:18 PM, said:

I like to bookmark the login page so I don't have to go through a separate "Click here to play or watch" page, and I've had to update the bookmark every time you announced a new version (and sometimes when you didn't bother to announce it, like last week's v16).  Once you release this for real, are you going to stick with a consistent URL that we can bookmark?

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

How about a URL that simply sends a redirect to whatever the current version is?

If not, can you at least display a warning if someone loads an old version? It's annoying having to check www.bridgebase.com periodically to see if the version number has changed.

Barmar - the number of keystrokes you have used to complain about this is probably less than the number of massively inconvenient 2nd clicks that you will need to launch the Flash client a couple of times a day for an entire year.

I said we would do something about this when we can figure out how.

This is the last time I will respond to your posts on this subject.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#176 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2008-July-21, 10:58

fred, on Jul 18 2008, 08:36 PM, said:

barmar, on Jul 18 2008, 09:18 PM, said:

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

Barmar - the number of keystrokes you have used to complain about this is probably less than the number of massively inconvenient 2nd clicks that you will need to launch the Flash client a couple of times a day for an entire year.

I said we would do something about this when we can figure out how.

This is the last time I will respond to your posts on this subject.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

I'm sorry if you interpreted my response as badgering, I thought I was being constructive. I admit that I don't know much about Flash, but I do know PHP, and think my suggestion can be applied in the PHP script before the Flash client is invoked.

Besides having to go through multiple clicks, I don't like the way the link on the home page opens up a huge new window and disables the standard browser toolbar (the beta page used to have "Open BBO Flash in this window"). I don't like portal pages in general, my bookmarks are my "portal".

#177 User is offline   bb79 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-24, 14:54

Not sure if this is reported but there seems to be a bug in the vugraph version of bboflash (bbotv.com/vugraph). While kibbing a table, if you click the rectangle showing the running score (left bottom in the green area), the right frame (that shows detailed results) turns to a blank white frame, and it can't be restored unless you logoff and rejoin. This both happens in IE and firefox browsers. In the regular version, there's no problem when you click that rectangle, it shows the other table's results.

#178 User is offline   geppe 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2008-July-25, 15:23

hi all
sorry if my english is very poor.
a few weeks that I use bboflash
my system: ubuntu 8.04 & firefox 3.0 on a Dell Inspiron 1525 notebook
all seems running well, but
- sometimes the window of bbo remain hanging, and all is blocked, i have to shut down the pc... but i'm not able to reproduce this behaviour
- when i start bboflash from the link in www.bridgebase.com, the windows occupy all the display (also the panel bars), and there is no choice (as there was before) to decide how many space give to bbo...
- when i play in a team match, i'm not able to see the names of the other table players until they have played the first hand; and i haven't find a way to chat with the people at the other table (in bbowin there was the "tournament" voice on the chat menu)

thanks for your very good work.

geppe

#179 User is offline   Ant590 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-26, 18:10

When viewing vugraph it seems the position of NSEW in the main window is the same as the way it was when you last played. For instance, I recently played in a teams match sitting east, so during the team match East was at the bottom of the screen. Now I watch vugraph and east is still at the bottom of the screen, but the movie at the bottom right of the screen still has south at the bottom. I think either south should always be at the bottom of vugraph, else keep the main screen in the same direction as the movie.

#180 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2008-August-08, 14:23

I was using "Manage Friends", and I clicked on one of the names and it said "Not found". When I then clicked on Delete, nothing happened.

Closing and reopening the Manage Friends window cleared up the problem.

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users