• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

BBOFlash Comments Thread3 Release 6

#141 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-June-21, 07:30

hallway, on Jun 21 2008, 04:27 AM, said:

I LOVE the new mail features - copy/paste - preview - cursor over - list form (can scroll down and reply to important mail without having to wade through all the ones that dont require an answer ) Oh it is a treat I could go on and on about it :P

Probably a work in progress - but needing to do some homework on BBOFlash in preparation for the onslaught ! - I went through the Help List, lots of it doesnt load :)

No team game help
No tournament help except for conventions
No Help for:
MB$
About Playing Here
Pick up game
Playing special partner
Set games
Mail messages
Private and Public Clubs
Masterpoints
Quick Search (page opens but the links on that page do not)
About Kibitzers
Vugraph

Question:
On the Private Club Descriptions
The Club URL looks like it is a link (has the underline and even has the hand ) but it takes one nowhere - do the Private Clubs need to send in the URL for the Hyperlink to be activated ?

We are still working on the Help system. I am guessing that all of the topics will have something in them within the next week or so.

I am not sure why the private club web site links are not working. I will investigate and, assuming it is a bug which seems likely, I will fix. Thanks for noticing this.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#142 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2008-June-21, 08:59

fred, on Jun 20 2008, 07:22 AM, said:

Yes BBOWin will continue to exist in the foreseeable future. That being said, the rate at which we introduce next features and improvements to BBOWin rates to continue to be low (or zero) for the foreseeable future.

I cannot say with any certainty that "BBOFlash is the future", but I am fairly confident that "BBOWin is not the future".

Fred,

Well, here is my wish that the bridgemaster deals will continue to be available to those of us who have them-- could a web version of those be created, separate from bbo flash, so that we may continue to use it?

My other concern is Pbidding. the features in pbidding are the best, they are easy to use and the control which we have of sequences, even contested sequences is very good. Certainly, if there were to be come a paod-feature, such as the gib robot, i would gladly pay for it.

thanks

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#143 User is offline   hallway 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Founder/Manager - Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO

Posted 2008-June-21, 14:26

OOPs my love affair with the Mail Box is in crisis :o

5.0.3 - Clearing mail using "OK" saved the message to my harddrive - so I could put messages 'on hold' to reply to later . Also meant I had them on file to refer to days/weeks/months later when necessity arose (and it does often !) all neatly in their month of issue.

BBOFlash - has Delete per line and a Delete all but no Save that I can see - deleting really does delete it - it does not give me the option to save to my hardrive

'Close' leaves it sitting in the mailbox. I could just leave them there forever more I suppose BUT they are listing in descending order - oldest at the top - don't fancy having to scroll forever to find todays mail. Newest at the top could do it.

Right clicking the message does not give me a save option just Select all - CtrlC CtrlV pastes to a word doc but only the message not the sender details - ID - date/time etc. I cannot copy/paste the header. Typing those details <BBOIDs are :) > takes one back to the nightmares of 2003.

I am sure there must be a simple couple of keystrokes that will solve this problem ?
Maureen
Founder/Manager
Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO
Join on BIL Bridge

#144 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-June-21, 14:53

hallway, on Jun 21 2008, 10:26 PM, said:

I am sure there must be a simple couple of keystrokes that will solve this problem ?

I'm afraid there is no simple solution, because browser applications are not allowed to access local harddisks. This is important, because otherwise surfing the net would be a big risk.

#145 User is offline   hallway 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Founder/Manager - Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO

Posted 2008-June-23, 23:20

Thanks Hotshot < hey long time no see !> Time then to figure out a workaround - they say such brain activity can stave off senility so could be useful on 2 counts.
Well the old grey cells have done their poor best and yes , I have a workaround :) that will enable me to take the best from the Flash Mail and still save the messages I need without too much of a hassle.

For those readers who do need to keep copies of some of their mail here's what to do.

Attack the mail - Scroll through
Delete those that require no reply ( hint if the sender has left spaces the preview can appear to be complete so always mouse over to see if there is more to it )
Click on More to send a reply then delete if you do not want a copy or click on Close if you want to keep a copy to save
When all mail is dealt with Click on Close to clear the screen and go play some bridge
<not for me though clearing the mail can take hours>
Now log into BBOWIN and hey presto the mail you wanted to save is still there :)
just click the ok button and it is Safe and Sound in your BBO Chat log on your hard drive for ever and a day - well that is to say until the space gremlins get them
and of course so long as there is a BBOWIN to save it for us.
Maureen
Founder/Manager
Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO
Join on BIL Bridge

#146 User is offline   edwardz73 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2008-June-24, 07:54

I can have a chat with everyone who are playing in TM!! :rolleyes:

But can't have chat with someone from another table when I'm playing with the robots, how's that?? ;)

#147 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-June-24, 11:15

Is there any way of telling in which club an individual is playing?

I see a friend online. I click on the name, and all it tells me is that said individual is playing "in a public club". I can join the table but it is still not stated which club I am in. If I click on "back" with the intention of seeing all of the other tables in that club in play it takes me straight back to the sign-in screen.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#148 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-June-24, 11:18

1eyedjack, on Jun 24 2008, 05:15 PM, said:

I see a friend online. I click on the name, and all it tells me is that said individual is playing "in a public club". I can join the table but it is still not stated which club I am in. If I click on "back" with the intention of seeing all of the other tables in that club in play it takes me straight back to the sign-in screen.

Look at the browser's title bar (or maybe the title of the tab in some browsers).

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#149 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2008-June-24, 12:27

fred, on Jun 24 2008, 06:18 PM, said:

1eyedjack, on Jun 24 2008, 05:15 PM, said:

I see a friend online.  I click on the name, and all it tells me is that said individual is playing "in a public club".  I can join the table but it is still not stated which club I am in.  If I click on "back" with the intention of seeing all of the other tables in that club in play it takes me straight back to the sign-in screen.

Look at the browser's title bar (or maybe the title of the tab in some browsers).

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

Yup - missed that :rolleyes: thanks

Will we be able as kibitzers to follow a specified individual throughout a tourney?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#150 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2008-June-24, 12:48

Is the timeout set the same so that prolonged inactivity auto logs you off the server after the same interval as it does in BBOWin?

#151 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-June-24, 13:24

1eyedjack, on Jun 24 2008, 06:48 PM, said:

Is the timeout set the same so that prolonged inactivity auto logs you off the server after the same interval as it does in BBOWin?

BBOFlash timeouts are currently disabled. They rate to be enabled within the next few days.

To answer your other question, our first official release will not contain the ability to follow a tourney player as a kibitzer. This is something I expect we will implement in the future.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#152 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2008-June-24, 23:41

fred, on Jun 24 2008, 08:24 PM, said:

To answer your other question, our first official release will not contain the ability to follow a tourney player as a kibitzer. This is something I expect we will implement in the future.

Outstanding, Fred.

Will the results pane then show the results of the person that you are following, rather than the history of the results at the table that you have just joined following a round change? I can see that this might be problematic if during the course of the tournament the kibitzer changes the identity of the player to be followed. The most desirable solution would be to see, at a given instant, a history of results throughout the tournament of the particular individual being followed at that instant. But I can understand that could be a programming nightmare.

#153 User is offline   geppe 

• PipPip

Posted 2008-June-26, 15:20

Today I have played a pair of Team Matches with BBO Flash.
I have found the interface, usability good.
Two very little things:
- I haven't found the possibility to chat to "Tournament", as I was used with the "older" client
- When I use accented wovels in the team names (a normal situation in Italy, France and other countries...) these letters doesn't appear.

Thank you very much for your very good work!

geppe

#154 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2008-June-26, 20:12

teaching tables are in our future, just not in this initial release.

#155 User is offline   ppek 

• PipPip

Posted 2008-June-27, 07:37

The BBOFlash is great, good job and good news for non-Win users. I am looking forward to see new features comming.

May be a stupid question, but I can't find it anywhere. What's the funcionality of the "Pin" button in user's profile?

Pavel

#156 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2008-June-27, 09:37

By default, the profile windows fade away after some seconds of disuse.

You can make a specific profile window stick around as long as you want by "pinning" it to the screen. i find this useful for holding conversations ( note the "private chat" button at the top of the profile window )

#157 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2008-June-27, 10:06

When I login to BBO Flash, Safari reports in the status bar "There was one error opening the page." When I open the Activity window to see the details, it shows an error trying to load http://bridgebase.br...crossdomain.xml, because the hostname bridgebase.bridgebase.com doesn't exist.

This doesn't cause any problems, but it's a cosmetic glitch that seems like it should be easy to fix.

#158 User is offline   geppe 

• PipPip

Posted 2008-June-28, 13:13

Is there a way to use bboflash as viewer for lin files? or it is necessary to use the old windows bbo client?
thanks

geppe

#159 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2008-June-28, 13:28

Flash applications aren't allowed to access user files, it's a security feature.

#160 User is offline   geller 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-01, 08:55

I haven't read the whole thread so my apologies if this has already been answered. What are the plans (if any) for adding language options other than English?

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users