• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

BBOFlash Comments Thread3 Release 6

#41 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2008-May-08, 05:39

Adam,

Using the latest Safari on Windows, I had to reinstall Flash from scratch and then it worked, but rather slowly. I do confirm that on my Mac, the load time took almost 2 minutes on a 15Mbps connection to get to the login prompt.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#42 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-May-08, 08:34

awm, on May 8 2008, 06:45 AM, said:

There is still an occasional claim problem. It seems to occur most often when my machine is otherwise slow and the window pauses for a moment.

What happens is, someone claims, and the little window for the claim (either the window asking how many tricks if I am the one claiming, or the window asking if I accept when an opponent claims) does not appear. This is particularly bad if I am the one trying to claim, since I am also unable to play a card (the software is waiting for me to complete my claim, but I cannot because there is no claim window).

I have also noticed that the old version of BBOFlash (prior to this release) worked very well on Mac using Internet Explorer, but did not work on Mac using Safari. The new version does not seem to work on Mac using Internet Explorer -- the login prompt never actually appears (I just get a page with shades of gray). It does work on Mac using Safari, but it seems to be quite slow (especially when logging in).

Thanks for letting me know about this. I have some questions that might help me figure out what is going on:

How do you recover from the claim problem? Are you able to leave the table and return? Do you log off and log in? Do you have to refresh your browser?

Does BBOFlash seem to continue to work normally other than your inability to play cards?

If you don't mind doing a bit of expermenting the next time you see this happen I would appreciate it. I realize that might further disrupt your bridge game :unsure:

The slow loading time in Safari is the result of an unfortunate bug in that browser which prevents that caching of files over a certain size (even more unfortunately this size is not very big - something like 100K). The result is that, when BBO Flash launches, Safari makes something like 12 requests for the same 1MB file (plus a bunch of smaller files).

Hopefully Apple will do something about this rather serious bug...

Hopefully Uday will be able to figure out how to get BBOFlash to work on Macs running IE...

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#43 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-08, 12:30

I'm not a Mac user, but if Safari has this cache issue, perhaps there is a local proxy server advanced user could install on their system to prevent that behavior.

#44 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-08, 13:38

The claim situation works as follows:

(1) Opponent claims. I simply cannot see the claim box in order to accept/reject or see how many tricks are being claimed. However, I can see all four hands at the table. I can still talk to table, leave the table if I want, etc. Typically I ask the person claiming to claim again and everything works (the software does tell me that the claim has been cancelled).

(2) I claim. The menu asking how many tricks I am claiming never appears. I cannot play a card, but I am still able to chat to table and am also able to leave the table. None of the opponents can play a card either (it is normally my play) and they do not see any claim to accept/reject (logical since I have not specified a number of tricks). Normally I fix this by leaving the table and then joining again.

Neither of these problems happens "all the time" -- they are both occasional. They seem to be lag related (although I think most "lag" that I experience has to do with memory and/or CPU activity on my machine; my connection is actually quite fast).

I'll experiment with this more next time it happens.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#45 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2008-May-08, 17:13

awm, on May 8 2008, 02:45 AM, said:

I have also noticed that the old version of BBOFlash (prior to this release) worked very well on Mac using Internet Explorer, but did not work on Mac using Safari. The new version does not seem to work on Mac using Internet Explorer -- the login prompt never actually appears (I just get a page with shades of gray). It does work on Mac using Safari, but it seems to be quite slow (especially when logging in).

A Mac using IE? MS stopped supporting IE on the Mac several years ago. I'm surprised it ever worked, since the latest version of Flash for OS 9.x is 7,0,73,0, compared with 9,0,124,0 for more recent OS releases.

I use it in Safari all the time, and the only slowness I notice is when it's initially loading, prior to the login prompt.

#46 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2008-May-08, 17:41

The blurring you do when a confirmation window pops (e.g. confirming payment to register for a tourney) is a clever effect, but I've decided I don't like it. It makes my eyes squint whenever it happens.

#47 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-09, 09:28

I've had a couple of Mac users email me and ask what they should do about getting to BBO.

In Safari, I've had to reset the browser each and every time a new BBO Flash comes down. I don't know if it's due to the Flash or if it's the upgrade of the browser. I did also install the latest Flash plugin.

Has anyone using a Mac, tried this through Firefox yet?
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#48 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-09, 10:40

Fred,

When privately messaging someone, it truncates the first letter of their name, and when sending the message - it fails to send. This is happening with Safari in Windows, latest version.

#49 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2008-May-09, 21:50

keylime, on May 9 2008, 11:28 AM, said:

IIn Safari, I've had to reset the browser each and every time a new BBO Flash comes down. I don't know if it's due to the Flash or if it's the upgrade of the browser. I did also install the latest Flash plugin.

I've never had to do this. With some of the new versions I got an error the first time I tried to connect, but when I tried again it succeeded, and never failed again (until a new version came out).

I haven't tried Firefox, since other than these glitches when first upgrading to the newest version it has worked pretty flawlessly.

#50 User is offline   andych 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-May-10, 00:35

Prefer the b/g colour at the table area not to be white. It was too bridght. Some previous version of BBOFLASH was using brown which was far much better than white, in my view .... :unsure: B)

#51 User is offline   Dwingo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-10, 04:01

I am able to chat with people playing a Team Match. This is not something which you want. Firefox 3 Beta 5 Browser if that matters. I am on BBO Flash and the chat recipient is on BBO WIN

As a player in TM, I am able to chat with the player in the other Room privately
Bridge Players do it with Finesse

#52 User is offline   linus53 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2008-May-10, 07:59

Hi
Someone Can Help me to find the option "ignore lobby chat". I cannot see lobby messages.

thx in advance :unsure:

#53 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-10, 08:18

linus53, on May 10 2008, 01:59 PM, said:

Hi
Someone Can Help me to find the option "ignore lobby chat". I cannot see lobby messages.

thx in advance :rolleyes:

There is no such thing as lobby chat in BBOFlash.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#54 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-10, 08:25

keylime, on May 9 2008, 04:40 PM, said:

Fred,

When privately messaging someone, it truncates the first letter of their name, and when sending the message - it fails to send. This is happening with Safari in Windows, latest version.

Some particular type(s) of chat message is triggering this condition. I have already eliminated this problem in a couple of unusual cases (the worst being private club managers who send multi-line chat/mail->club despite our requests that they stop doing this - it screws up BBOWin as well).

But apparently there remains at least one type of chat message that causes this problem to occur. After you get such a chat message all clicks on player names of subsequent chats will result in lost character(s) at the start of the name.

If anyone sees this happen again it would be very helpful if you could either:

1) Try to figure out the first chat message for which you see this problem. Then send me a copy of the chat message immediately before that.

2) Send me an transcript of the chat log of the entire session.

You can select, cut, and paste chat in BBOFlash.

I realize that some private chat really is "private" so I understand if you do not want to send me chat transcripts. For whatever its worth, I have absolutely no interest in reading the actual chat - I just want to try to fix this bug :rolleyes:

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#55 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2008-May-10, 21:56

I'm seeing a different claim problem from awm. I didn't have any problem when I claimed or I was responding to an opponent's claim. But when I'm dummy and partner claims, all I see is a little window containing my partner's name.

I'm using Safari 3.1.1 on OS X 10.5.2.

#56 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-11, 08:14

barmar, on May 11 2008, 03:56 AM, said:

I'm seeing a different claim problem from awm. I didn't have any problem when I claimed or I was responding to an opponent's claim. But when I'm dummy and partner claims, all I see is a little window containing my partner's name.

I'm using Safari 3.1.1 on OS X 10.5.2.

Hi Barry,

This is almost certainly related the bug that Adam is experiencing.

3 things you could do that would help a lot next time you see this condition:

1) Please e-mail a screenshot to fred@bridgebase.com

2) Try resizing the table surface (either resizing the entire browser window or moving the sliders at the right of or below the table should do the trick). What do you see in the area where the claim-related box should appear?

3) Try switching between pictures of cards and hand diagrams (or vice versa). What do you see in the area where the claim-related box should appear?

Adam - please try 2 and 3 also!

Thanks,

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#57 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-12, 09:53

Fred,

I have noticed that the truncation is happening in VuGraph and large kibitzer tables only for some reason. I'll pass along anything I gather to the appropriate address of course.

#58 User is offline   jocdelevat 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-12, 14:39

New version is nice and fast. 2 things I miss from bbo client are mouse over and right click player to join table or chat. I red the whole thread and I see not too much to do about just wanted to show my support for those 2 options.
Very nice job congratulations.
It's not what you are, it's how you say it!

best regards
jocdelevat

#59 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-22, 18:28

As there was no post in this thread for quite a while, it looks like all problems with bboflash are solved. However, here are some new observations and suggestions (using Firefox 2.0.0.14 under Ubuntu 7.10):

1. When joining a table as a player, the destination for outgoing chat remains the same. Rather, I would always want to greet the other players before I continue some private chat, and therefore it would be convenient if the destination changed to "-> Table" automatically. In any other situation I agree that the setting should not change.

2. I understand that unlike BBOWin BBOFlash does not constantly get all information available about the current BBO state. However, I would expect, that all information that I con currently see is either up to date, or it is indicated that updating is in progress. This is working fine for the play at a table and for the partnership desk of a tourney, as far as I can see. It is definitely not working well for e.g. the list of kibs at a table or the results at other tables for a given board. Concerning the kibs, it occurred that I was playing after having previously kibbed at that table, and my name was still in the list of kibs after some time. Clicking on "My results" and back to "Who's online" did not change anything. I think the kib list is worthless if I cannot be sure if it is current or not.

3. Not long ago I saw that an icon is displayed left of a players name to indicate the host of a table. However, it is not always displayed. I saw it right it sometimes disappeared when the host changed, but I have no idea what made it reappear.

4. I was watching a table where one player asked some other about his email address, and the response was, "it is in my profile". However, I was not able to see it there. I agree that it is not necessary to have this field in BBOFlash profiles, but if it is a profile created under BBOWin and the contents of this field is not "private", it should be displayed under BBOFlash.

5. I like to have the BBOFlash-Window full-screen by pressing the F11 button. This works fine. However, I cannot revert to a normal window after I have done so, and I cannot close the window using the mouse - I have to press Alt-F4 instead. Consequently, I can never see in what bridgeclub or tourney I am playing, nor can I see my table number in a tourney.

6. When clicking on "Help", a small Firefox window with the BBO logo appears, but everything else in this window is blank. The address is http://online.bridge...om/v2/help.html

7. By now most time I click on a name in the chat area I can privately chat with that person. But recently, the error reported by Helene in this post occurred again, deleting the first letter of the destination name. I thought that the error was fixed already.

Karl

#60 User is offline   david_c 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mathematics;<br>20th century classical music;<br>Composing.

Posted 2008-May-23, 19:01

barmar, on May 11 2008, 04:56 AM, said:

I'm seeing a different claim problem from awm.  I didn't have any problem when I claimed or I was responding to an opponent's claim.  But when I'm dummy and partner claims, all I see is a little window containing my partner's name.

I saw the same thing when kibitzing tonight (using IE). Similarly, when I subbed into a team match a few days ago it asked me whether I wanted to accept a claim but didn't tell me how many tricks were being claimed. (This could be the same bug.) But at other times it has worked OK ... I couldn't see a pattern but will keep looking.

Also, twice tonight I was chatting to someone who was about to log off. There was no way to tell when they did log off (or at least no reason to notice) so my "chat" ended up being a mail message instead, but I didn't want to send it as a mail message. They'll have no idea what it means when they log on next time. Can there please be a confirmation before a mail message is sent, like in the client version? Or at least some obvious indication that that's what you're about to do.

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users