• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

BBOFlash Comments Thread3 Release 6

#21 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2008-May-02, 06:58

Fred,

Clarification: I have found that the 64 bit O/S and Flash don't like each other nearly as much as the 32 bit flavor. That would explain some things.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#22 User is offline   blahonga 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2008-May-03, 03:18

Hello,

i really like the new look! I no longer see the explanation of my partner's alerts, so this seems to be fixed.

A more minor bug seems to occur when chatting. I was using the flash client, and the recipient was using the old windows client. Everything looked good to me, but when i used å,ä, or ö they looked weird on his side.

/Mattias

#23 User is offline   xcurt 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-May-03, 20:44

First off let me say very good work. This has come a long way since BBOFlash v2. It's important to my enjoyment of BBO, since I don't use Windows.

Two small requests:

One -- in hand diagram mode, can you show the ten-spot as "T" instead of "10," as the latter looks like two cards at a quick glance? Or, if possible, please make this a configurable option. This isn't a big deal in pictures-of-cards mode as there is a visual cue from the corners of the cards how long each suit it. But as a long-time text client user on another service, I strongly prefer hand diagram mode.

Two -- in BBOFlash, the default chat chats to the table when kibitzing. It's just too easy to accidentally chat to the table when kibitzing. If you're looking at all four hands, you should have to do something special and hard to do by mistake to chat to the table, if that should even be possible at all. I fell into this one last night -- fortunately I was commenting on the hand previous and not the hand current.

Once again, thank you for a very nice product.

Curt

edit -- also, a fixed-width font option for hand-diagram mode would be nice

This post has been edited by xcurt: 2008-May-03, 21:33

"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch

#24 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-May-04, 04:19

I'm sorry to say I'm not exactly in love with this new version. I can't stand the color scheme of the main interface. Too *bright* by far. Also, having the main background and informational elements (e.g. the player list) be the same color is just bad. I find my eyes hunting around and just generally not liking it.

Ditto, it gives me eye strain

#25 User is offline   Dwingo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-04, 08:11

sceptic, on May 4 2008, 03:49 PM, said:

I'm sorry to say I'm not exactly in love with this new version. I can't stand the color scheme of the main interface. Too *bright* by far. Also, having the main background and informational elements (e.g. the player list) be the same color is just bad. I find my eyes hunting around and just generally not liking it.

Ditto, it gives me eye strain

Can't please everyone, when it comes to color choices. Will be good to have 2 or 3 skins to select from.
Bridge Players do it with Finesse

#26 User is offline   Dwingo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-04, 08:34

Tournaments. Partnership Desk. Before inviting, when I click on a palyers name for checking profile, the Pop up blocks the Player list making it necessary to move the Pop up box to the side ( left or right). If the Pop Up appears to the left or right without obstructing the player list, it will enable us to click on the player list one after the other to find a suitable partner for the tournament.
Bridge Players do it with Finesse

#27 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-04, 12:26

How about adding proxy settings? Hopefully flash an just tunnel on top of HTTP, making a cinch for those who are behind firewalls...
foobar on BBO

#28 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2008-May-04, 12:49

xcurt, on May 3 2008, 10:44 PM, said:

One -- in hand diagram mode, can you show the ten-spot as "T" instead of "10," as the latter looks like two cards at a quick glance? Or, if possible, please make this a configurable option. This isn't a big deal in pictures-of-cards mode as there is a visual cue from the corners of the cards how long each suit it. But as a long-time text client user on another service, I strongly prefer hand diagram mode.

I'm pretty sure this has been requested in the past, both for BBOWin and BBO Flash, and the answer was no. Most bridge books, magazines, and newspaper columns use "10", not "T".

One thing I noticed about those printed hand diagrams is that there's a noticeable difference in the spacing between the cards and the digits in "10", i.e. it looks something like:

A K 10 9

(not quite this extreme, but this gets the idea). BBO seems to cram everything together, like:

AK109

However, increasing the spacing between cards would exacerbate the problem with suits longer than 6 characters, where the additional cards are not shown. BTW, in my earlier message about this, I said that you can infer the length of a long suit from the distribution of the rest of the suits. I just realized one case where you can't: a 7600 hand. You can tell that you have a 7-6 from the two voids, but you don't know which suit is 7!

#29 User is offline   slior 

• PipPip

Posted 2008-May-04, 17:53

Minor point: I moved from playing at a table (where I was chatting to "Table") to kibitzing a table where kibitzer couldn't chat to players. The arrow at the bottom left wasn't updated and so continued to read "-> Table". Chats correctly went to the other kibitzers though.

Cheers,
Lior

#30 User is offline   slior 

• PipPip

Posted 2008-May-04, 17:56

Font issue (running Mozilla 1.5, adobe flash 9 on Linux): the suit symbols are not appearing in chats (they are replaced by blank spaces). Since I don't know how to debug flash myself, could someone tell me which font the application is requesting for displaying the suit symbols? Given that it should be no problem to set an alias.

#31 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-04, 20:59

slior, on May 4 2008, 11:56 PM, said:

Font issue (running Mozilla 1.5, adobe flash 9 on Linux): the suit symbols are not appearing in chats (they are replaced by blank spaces).  Since I don't know how to debug flash myself, could someone tell me which font the application is requesting for displaying the suit symbols?  Given that it should be no problem to set an alias.

What you need is a Unicode Arial font.

There might be more to than that. For example you might have to tell your computer that your Unicode Arial font is the default Arial font on your system. I know almost nothing about Linux so I really have no idea what else (if anything) will be involved.

But if you can't figure it out from here I think there is a good chance you will be able to find whatever answers you need through Forums. Both Uday and (especially) Gerardo have a lot more Linux experience than I do (as do many regular Forums posters).

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#32 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-05, 06:38

On the Ubuntu distro, there is a package that if memory serves called Microsoft Core Fonts (mstcorefonts or something similar) - this allowed me to get my preferred Arial and Georgia fonts.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#33 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-05, 08:33

There is a lot of linux knowledge here. Our official answer-man for linux issues is gerardo@

#34 User is offline   Patapon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-05, 16:03

Two things I noticed:

1)It is still possible to chat with people playing in a team match.(that is nice!:P

2)When you click right on a ID in the chat area,then click on 'show this person's profile" , you sometimes get another profile that the one you asked..
This happens when you don't click "perfectly in the middle of the name" you wish to see the profile.If you click between 2 different ID's you get the profile of the other ID, the one under the person you wanted to look at.

Not sure I am very clear but I can try to explain better if needed!

#35 User is offline   Patapon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-05, 17:23

Playing money bridge:

1)There are no movies, not even for the previous hand.

2)I can't see my account balance.

3)When I am declarer the dummy 'doesn't move' and stay like it was.The trump suit isn't on the left.

#36 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2008-May-05, 17:38

For .deb based distros (including Ubuntu): package is named msttcorefonts.

For .rpm based distros, check , there are instructions to create a package.

Or just dpwnload the fonts, from the same page.

The issue is the license for them doesn't allow redistribution so a package with the fonts would violate it. The Debian package actually downloads the fonts at installation time.

#37 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-06, 01:29

Does anyone else think that it's easy to make mistakes with the bidding box? I can't explain it exactly, but it seems to happen most often while trying to alert a bid and type in the explanation.

I have passed a couple of times doing it when I meant to bid and never had any such problem with the BBO Windows client...
foobar on BBO

#38 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-06, 11:43

Fred,

I do agree in principle about the bidding box - is it possible to have the box slightly taller to help differentiate the pass versus a bid?

#39 User is offline   ng:) 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-06, 18:09

Nice work, Fred.

After a short test I have noticed only one thing: team colors are badly missing.

Gabor

#40 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-May-08, 00:45

There is still an occasional claim problem. It seems to occur most often when my machine is otherwise slow and the window pauses for a moment.

What happens is, someone claims, and the little window for the claim (either the window asking how many tricks if I am the one claiming, or the window asking if I accept when an opponent claims) does not appear. This is particularly bad if I am the one trying to claim, since I am also unable to play a card (the software is waiting for me to complete my claim, but I cannot because there is no claim window).

I have also noticed that the old version of BBOFlash (prior to this release) worked very well on Mac using Internet Explorer, but did not work on Mac using Safari. The new version does not seem to work on Mac using Internet Explorer -- the login prompt never actually appears (I just get a page with shades of gray). It does work on Mac using Safari, but it seems to be quite slow (especially when logging in).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users