inverted minors general opinions wanted

#21 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-August-02, 19:19

Free, on Aug 2 2004, 06:31 PM, said:

1D - 2D
2S - 3H

This is just last train principle. Opener denied a H stopper, so what else would you be looking for? At this point only 3NT

That's the way most people play it, me included.

But you can also use 2NT to ask about the club stop, which allows 3H and 3S to be slam tries with a 4 card suit. I believe that's what the earlier person was talking about when he mentioned 'reverses'.

#22 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-03, 00:02

BTW, for what it is worth, with a discussed partner I tend to go directly into low level splinters after a 1m-2m inverted raise, rather than going directly into NT probes. If neither has a shortage then I shall take my chances in NT even with a suit wide open.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#23 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-August-03, 03:22

jtfanclub, on Aug 3 2004, 02:19 AM, said:

1D - 2D
2S - 3H

This is just last train principle.  Opener denied a H stopper, so what else would you be looking for?  At this point only 3NT

But you can also use 2NT to ask about the club stop, which allows 3H and 3S to be slam tries with a 4 card suit. I believe that's what the earlier person was talking about when he mentioned 'reverses'.

If you don't play inverted minors as GF, 2NT is to play! Depends on the agreements :angry:
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#24 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-August-03, 03:55

Free, on Aug 3 2004, 01:31 AM, said:

1D - 2D
2S - 3H

This is just last train principle. Opener denied a H stopper, so what else would you be looking for? At this point only 3NT

i know what 3H is, at least i know what i would mean it to be... i was just interested in more of ben's concepts on it
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#25 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-August-03, 06:25

jtfanclub, on Aug 2 2004, 09:19 PM, said:

1D - 2D
2S - 3H

This is just last train principle.  Opener denied a H stopper, so what else would you be looking for?  At this point only 3NT

correct you are.. and hearts can be more than four.. you can be 5-6 in the reds, for example on 1D-2D-2S-3H...

Ben
--Ben--

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users