BBO Discussion Forums: Who says 1 diamond overcall has no effect on opponents. - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who says 1 diamond overcall has no effect on opponents. ATB

#21 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-22, 14:16

Epic gnasher post.

Anyways, I think if you bid 2D and partner bid 3C the correct bid is 3N. Given that you have a diamond stopper and no 4 card major, partner knows 2D was based on a GF hand with long clubs, and can act accordingly. 2D should be looked at as:

1) GF with a major
2) GF with long clubs
3) 18-19 balanced with no diamond stopper.

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-February-23, 02:39

The player who passed 1 at the table was a famous worldclass player (Jens Auken). And he is not the only one among famous worldclass players who replied that they would pass. This was a hand from JEC match.

Open room, North did not overcall 1 or 2 and opponents found the slam pretty easy. The player who did not overcall in open room was L. Lauria from Italy. We will never know what would West bid in open room had he faced the same auction. I thought that was an interesting board which was played at 1 level in one room and slam in other one. :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-23, 09:27

As poor E stares at yet another motley collection of cards KJTx QJxx x xxxx , there is actually a brief
surge of optimism as this the best hand they have had in months. Surprise surprise P has actually opened
the bidding 1c (p only player in universe that seems to hold worse cards then E does) the opps might not
be able to bid a slam (for the umpteenth time today) Rho overcalls 1D and E happily X knowing that noone
could possibly fault them for using the bid on a hand which is practically out of a textbook. Lho pass and
P shocks (not with the expected 1h or 1s sign off try) but with an astounding 2d bid (somewhere in back
of our mind we remember this is a game force) YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY and even better with our rock gut
minimum hand we can now make yet another perfect bid of 3c. We are content and pleased that we have so
perfectly described our hand that we can now sit back relax and p should be able to place the contract.

Our realm of contentment is suddenly shattered as after pass by lho p now bids 3d and rho p again. BUT
we have already told P everthing about our hand dead minimum 4414 how can we possibly bid anything now??
P has a HUGE hand for this kind of bidding so we might be looking at a plus score instead of trying to
garner all of our imps/MP by holding down opps overtricks.

Breathe yes thats right dont panic P is a very thoughtful bidder and surely knows we can do something
intelligent in case we were dead minimum but WHAT. Surely jumping to 5c and wasting huge swathes
of bidding space to almost play slam cant be right (with a dead minimum) I doubt that would be right even
if I was 4405 instead of a much more plebian 4414.

We cant possibly bid 3N (surely P is not searching to see if we have the stiff dia A) because we lack either
the K or Q of diamonds in case P needs a partial stopper for 3n.

Hmmm in context bidding-----what about a major suit? P knows we cannot possibly have a 5+ card major suit since
we did not bid it over 2d so P will never mistake us for extra length----might they mistake a major suit for a cue
bid???? maybe maybe but they have shown us a monster hand and surely with a cue bid and extra values we could proceed
beyond 3n if p happens to bid it and p would then know our 3s bid was a cue bid. So which major do we choose?
Seems logical to choose the major we have most of our stuff in so we now bid 3s. P now bids 3n and we happily pass.

Even better as 3n makes and the hand is over P looks over at us and says well bid P very thoughtful of you to make a good bid and still keep all of our options open --- I knew you had it in you but next time with both majors stopped (having 4 small not a stop) bid 3h that way if I needed hearts stopped I can bid 3n and if I need spades stopped I can still bid 3s:)(BUT ill bet 10 bucks you at least thought about bidding 5c at one time thinking you might have a clue why I was bidding the way I was---be honest now).

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-February-23, 16:51

View Postgszes, on 2011-February-23, 09:27, said:

As poor E stares at yet another motley collection of cards KJTx QJxx x xxxx , there is actually a brief
surge of optimism as this the best hand they have had in months. Surprise surprise P has actually opened
the bidding 1c (p only player in universe that seems to hold worse cards then E does) the opps might not
be able to bid a slam (for the umpteenth time today) Rho overcalls 1D and E happily X knowing that noone
could possibly fault them for using the bid on a hand which is practically out of a textbook. Lho pass and
P shocks (not with the expected 1h or 1s sign off try) but with an astounding 2d bid (somewhere in back
of our mind we remember this is a game force) YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY and even better with our rock gut
minimum hand we can now make yet another perfect bid of 3c. We are content and pleased that we have so
perfectly described our hand that we can now sit back relax and p should be able to place the contract.

Our realm of contentment is suddenly shattered as after pass by lho p now bids 3d and rho p again. BUT
we have already told P everthing about our hand dead minimum 4414 how can we possibly bid anything now??
P has a HUGE hand for this kind of bidding so we might be looking at a plus score instead of trying to
garner all of our imps/MP by holding down opps overtricks.

Breathe yes thats right dont panic P is a very thoughtful bidder and surely knows we can do something
intelligent in case we were dead minimum but WHAT. Surely jumping to 5c and wasting huge swathes
of bidding space to almost play slam cant be right (with a dead minimum) I doubt that would be right even
if I was 4405 instead of a much more plebian 4414.

We cant possibly bid 3N (surely P is not searching to see if we have the stiff dia A) because we lack either
the K or Q of diamonds in case P needs a partial stopper for 3n.

Hmmm in context bidding-----what about a major suit? P knows we cannot possibly have a 5+ card major suit since
we did not bid it over 2d so P will never mistake us for extra length----might they mistake a major suit for a cue
bid???? maybe maybe but they have shown us a monster hand and surely with a cue bid and extra values we could proceed
beyond 3n if p happens to bid it and p would then know our 3s bid was a cue bid. So which major do we choose?
Seems logical to choose the major we have most of our stuff in so we now bid 3s. P now bids 3n and we happily pass.

Even better as 3n makes and the hand is over P looks over at us and says well bid P very thoughtful of you to make a good bid and still keep all of our options open --- I knew you had it in you but next time with both majors stopped (having 4 small not a stop) bid 3h that way if I needed hearts stopped I can bid 3n and if I need spades stopped I can still bid 3s:)(BUT ill bet 10 bucks you at least thought about bidding 5c at one time thinking you might have a clue why I was bidding the way I was---be honest now).

Fred may sue you for using excessive bandwidth. After all this is just a forum, not a free space to publish a book :P (joke m8)

Gnasher ! I hold u accountable for this :D
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-February-23, 17:03

He just wants up votes too.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#26 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-February-25, 12:20

1C 1D x p
2D p 3C p
3D p 3S(cuebid)
3N p 4C
It's hard to avoid a slam here.

#27 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-04, 05:12

View PostMrAce, on 2011-February-21, 16:19, said:

- How would u bid it ?

1 = 15+ nat/clubs or 18+ any
... 1 = 9+, 4+ spades, if balanced or 3-suited then 4+ hearts, GF
1 = relay
... 1N = 4+ hearts
2 = relay
... 2 = bal or 3-suited
2 = relay
... 2 = 44(32) or 44(41)
2N = relay
... 3 = 4414
4 = RKCB for clubs
... 4N = 2/5 -q
5 = K ask
... 6 = nope

The auction is identical after a 1 overcall. Of course, over the strong-ish club opening they probably overcall 2 instead...
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users