• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Style or whim?

#21 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-25, 14:12

I would bid 1 on both.

The hands are from yesterday's afternoon JEC match. Giorgio Duboin bid 1 on the first hand and passed on the second whereas the Scottish player passed the first and doubled the second. Duboin's actions were more successful on both occasions although were not the sole reason for winning some imps. At least the comments will give some solace for the Scot's action on the second hand and give him something to consider on the first!
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#22 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-February-25, 15:05

1 on both for me.
Michael Askgaard

#23 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-February-25, 16:07

The point of overcalling on the first one is simple, it might simply be our hand for a heart contract, and this way we won't have to guess whether to balance or not later.

It also might cause the opponents problems if partner raises to 2H and they guess wrong what to do (as is the case with all intervention). I am certainly not unhappy with my hand if partner raises me to any level in hearts, he knows we are a passed hand. I think it is unlikely he will go overboard with no fit, and it is extremely unlikely that we end up in 1H X so it doesn't seem that risky to me.

The lead directing thing can go both ways, but I am not unhappy with partner leading a heart either in general.

#24 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-February-25, 17:23

I'd overcall both. More inclined to pass the first.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#25 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-February-25, 21:17

1 for me in both hands.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#26 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-February-25, 22:25

gordontd, on 2011-February-25, 05:03, said:

Have you been spending a lot of time with teenagers, Paul? :D

I'd pass the first and bid 1 on the second, but I see lots of good players bidding 1 in situations like the first and doubling on the second.

I was thinking the same thing, Gordon.

1H on both for me. I don't really mind a x on the second.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#27 User is offline   relknes 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-25, 22:59

Am I totally insane for considering 2 on the first hand? Partner will have to interpret it as a weak jump overcall, in fact so weak that it couldn't open 2, so he won't go crazy. I would rate it as way beter than 50% that we have an 8+ heart fit, making it a good sacrifice if the opponents double for penalty, and taking up the most room possible if they decide to bid on. It might push them into a 4-4 spade fit, if one of them is willing to bid a 4 card suit at the 2 level, but if I pass they will find that anyways with more room to explore the best level for the contract.
If the opponents have a major fit, it is 4-4 in spades, so bidding 1 dosn't interfere with them all that much and probably helps them play it if/when they do find the fit. Otherwise they will end up in NT, and again 1 helps them play it, while 2 at least makes it more difficult for them to find the best contract.

#28 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-February-25, 23:06

Pass on the first one, we are vul and they are not. What am I trying to do.

1 on the second one, seems normal to me.
--Ben--

#29 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2011-February-26, 02:44

JLOGIC, on 2011-February-25, 16:07, said:

The point of overcalling on the first one is simple, it might simply be our hand for a heart contract, and this way we won't have to guess whether to balance or not later.

It also might cause the opponents problems if partner raises to 2H and they guess wrong what to do (as is the case with all intervention). I am certainly not unhappy with my hand if partner raises me to any level in hearts, he knows we are a passed hand. I think it is unlikely he will go overboard with no fit, and it is extremely unlikely that we end up in 1H X so it doesn't seem that risky to me.

The lead directing thing can go both ways, but I am not unhappy with partner leading a heart either in general.

A good synopsis of what actually happened. Partner raised to 2 and they took the push to 3 making eight tricks. In the other room this hand decided it was too dangerous to balance when 2 came back to him - whether that it is right or wrong, it certainly looks safer to bid at the first opportunity.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#30 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-26, 03:28

relknes, on 2011-February-25, 22:59, said:

Am I totally insane for considering 2 on the first hand? Partner will have to interpret it as a weak jump overcall, in fact so weak that it couldn't open 2, so he won't go crazy. I would rate it as way beter than 50% that we have an 8+ heart fit, making it a good sacrifice if the opponents double for penalty, and taking up the most room possible if they decide to bid on. It might push them into a 4-4 spade fit, if one of them is willing to bid a 4 card suit at the 2 level, but if I pass they will find that anyways with more room to explore the best level for the contract.
If the opponents have a major fit, it is 4-4 in spades, so bidding 1 dosn't interfere with them all that much and probably helps them play it if/when they do find the fit. Otherwise they will end up in NT, and again 1 helps them play it, while 2 at least makes it more difficult for them to find the best contract.

Yep, 2 would indeed be insane at these colours. For the asylum. It would help a tiny bit, of course, if partner knows about my mental condition (style) so he can make sure never to raise me. But still.
Michael Askgaard

#31 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-February-26, 04:07

What am I trying to do, Ben? Maybe make a part score, maybe push them to an unmakeable level, maybe avoid a balancing decision later. Just those three things.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#32 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-March-04, 04:47

On the first my first answer was 1 if you are Italian and Pass otherwise so I found it amusing that Duboin was the player involved. On the second the consensus when I was learning was to Double with this hand type but I think 1 is much more common nowadays. In any case both actions are a style issue and I do not believe either is wrong.
(-: Zel :-)

#33 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-04, 08:45

1) 1>P

2) 1>P>>>X
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#34 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-04, 10:00

What hands are left to reopening?
1H bidders claim this hand in overcall,
so I assume pass, to reopen is much weaker.
With reasonable 10's left to reopen, how is a good score missed?
How can partner stay in the safe zone if overcall (in their forcing auction) is this weak?
How does this seat show 16 instead? Should partner raise with 10?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

12 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users