• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1H - 2S how to use it?

#21 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-April-01, 23:13

I play it as very weak, but I know quite a few good players who play it as 8-11 HCP and singelton, 2NT singl ask. This seems to work pretty well. :)
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#22 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-April-02, 07:39

View Postawm, on 2011-April-01, 08:43, said:

I haven't found this to be true in practice. There is an issue that it can be hard to bid an invite opposite a super-max in standard bidding. What happens is that the auction starts 1-1 and then opener rebids at the three-level. This cramps your sequence somewhat, and responder's initial invite isn't enough to push past game even opposite 18-19. I think you can have much better auctions by starting 1-2 and letting opener take control via asking bids, rather than having to start 1-1-3x-3. This is item (3) on my original list. Note that a slam auction opposite a constructive (like 5-8) 2 bid is extremely rare.

For item (5), bidding over 1-2 invitational is really risky! You will get doubled basically any time the opening side doesn't have a spade fit (i.e. you know you're outgunned). Bidding over 1-2 constructive is a lot safer; opener basically needs extras to double you which is possible but not odds-on. So I think the invitational jump gets you a lot more numbers out of the opponents (or just shuts them out of the auction completely, if they are a bit more conservative).

For item (6), when I have an invitational hand with spades a lot of the time we are just going to play in 4. I would much rather have the auction 1-2-4 than a slower auction 1-1-2x-2-4, because opener's extra call in there is much more likely to help the opponents on lead than to help my side. Another one is 1-2-3NT where opener might have a rather stronger holding in one minor than the other, whereas 1-1-2x-2-3NT reveals which is the four-card side suit. The invitational spade hand is much more likely to land in 4 than the weak spade hand is.

Finally, there are occasionally constructive hands where your choice of contract depends on opener's second bid. For example say I have six lousy spades; I might be happy to pass after 1-1-2, but willing to rebid my spades after 1-1-2m. Or say I have 5125; I might want to rebid my spades after 1-1-2 but obviously not after 1-1-2 or 1-1-2. The intermediate hand is more likely to have a good spade suit (more overall strength), and what I lose by finding the "wrong" partial (i.e. say I have 6232 and partner has six hearts and I play in 2 instead of finding my 6-2 heart fit) I might get back by being a level lower (i.e. on the aforementioned hand without 2 INV I might bid 1-1-2-3, reaching the better strain but one level higher).

I agree with all of this. I suspect all of us who have played both ways for years would be able to augment this with even more reasons.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#23 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2011-April-03, 04:37

Wow, I had never considered playing it as anything other than an invitational three-card raise in hearts...
I Transfers

#24 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-07, 07:05

I play it as invitational hand for hearts, based on shortness (2NT asks). It comes more or less as often as invitational in spades, and it is a bit more useful. I posted a hand long ago where it allowed us to find a very good slam finding that responder has the perfect hand.

#25 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2011-April-07, 19:15

I can see that it would be kind of nice to have it as invitational in spades because that solves the problem of whether 1-1, 2-3 is invitational or forcing to game. Now it can be forcing to game which would make any good hand with 6+ spades easy to bid instead of being a bidding-forum problem. And the invitational-with-3 hearts hands are easy enough to bid, you change suit then jump to 3.
I Transfers

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users