IQ or IQRKCB

#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-March-29, 21:18

I just had an idea.

My wife is afraid of RKCB. I don't blame her.

Suppose, however, a new method, one that could be called "IQRKCB" (or "IQ" for short), for "Immediate Queen RKCB."

The idea is this. Spades are agreed. Exclusion RKCB is out either because of context or because partner doesn't do that expert stuff. Instead, this structure is used:

With the trump Queen, bids "IQ 4NT." Partner will answer like normal Blackwood, but adding the trump King to his count. 5C, then shows 0 or 4 key cards, 5D one, 5H 2, and 5S three. No need to figure out 0 or 3 (should not be tough, but this is for newbies). No Queen-ask (and no 1430 or RKCB discussions). No new steps to remember.

Without the trump Queen, answer as if partner bid 4NT, using the same steps. So, a call of 5C instead of 4NT shows 0 or 4 without the trump Queen.

I kind of like this for people afraid of RKCB.

But, I also wonder if this wouldn't also have some advantages if enhanced for an expert style. The answering of the trump Queen question by who asks would create more space for other things after a stacked answer. (5C still 0 or 3, but then 5D asks for specific Kings, for example.)
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-29, 21:52

Sorry, I wasn't quite able to discern one detail from this. Does your system only allow a bid of 4NT with the trump queen? It seems like if you don't have the trump queen you have to "answer" the blackwood bid whether it was asked or not. Is this correct?
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-30, 04:09

Let's see if I got this right in this example:

1NT - 4H! ( Texas )
4S - ??
a ) 4NT = iQRKC "asking" and I have the Q ( steps are 0/4, 1, 2, 3 )
b ) 5D = nQRKC "telling" ( 1 key ) and I don't have the Q ( 5D = 2nd step above 4NT = 1 )

where iQ = i have the trump Q
and nQ = no trump Q in my hand
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2011-March-30, 05:47

Exactly, at least as far as it goes.

I mean, you could still do the steps as 5 for 0/3, 5 1/4, or 5 2/5. But, the idea is simplification (for some) and space (for others).
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-30, 09:14

View Postkenrexford, on 2011-March-29, 21:18, said:

My wife is afraid of RKCB. I don't blame her.

Why on earth would someone be "afraid" of RKCB?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-March-30, 09:31

So, if I understand this correctly, the person with the trump Q can ask, but the person without the trump Q can only tell.

Given that the decision whether one should ask or tell is dictated by the entire hand one holds, not whether one holds the trump Q, I find this to be kind of silly (with all due respect).

#7 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-March-30, 10:47

BeerRKCB anyone?

You side NT with the beer, and otherwise let partner declare. Seems like an awesome system.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#8 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-30, 12:42

View Postkenrexford, on 2011-March-30, 05:47, said:

Exactly, at least as far as it goes.

I mean, you could still do the steps as 5 for 0/3, 5 1/4, or 5 2/5. But, the idea is simplification (for some) and space (for others).

I like it, not for the simplicity, but that I'm a RKC "mechanic' ( some may say "maniac" ).
I think I would like only 3 steps:
5C = 0/3
5D = 1/4
5H = 2

Then, what is also appealing, is that the "next step" would now be a K-ask ( cheapest specific King if you will ) since the trump Q is no longer an issue.

That means the "2nd step" would be an "outside Q-ask" ( or 3rd Rnd Ctrl Ask ).

Also, this could be incorporated into Minorwood after suit agreement in a GF auction:
4m = iQ-Minorwood -- "asking" but "I have the trump Q " ;
and any bid above 4m = 0/3, 1/4, or 2 -- "telling" and " I don't have the trump Q "

Advantages for Minorwood are the subsequent K-ask at a lower level and plausible outside Q-asks which are practically non-existent otherwise.

For example:
1D - 2D!( inverted, GF )
4D!( asking w/Q ) - 4S ( 1/4 )
??
...4NT = to play
...5C = K-ask ( normally would be Q-ask and 5H = kickback for K's )
...5D = to play
...5H = Q-ask
...5S = Q-ask
...6C = Q-ask
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#9 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2011-March-30, 13:15

A couple of other things.

First, it may seem (like Art thought) that captaincy is transferred, but that is incorrect. Take a simple auction. Blah-Blah-Blah, then 5 as "1 or 4 without the Queen." The person bidding 5 remains captain. Partner will (1) resign to five of trumps if that holding is insufficient for slam, (2) immediately bid specific Kings if that holding is enough for a possible grand, (3) bid six if that holding is only enough for a small slam. (One might even include a one-under five as "slam last train" for some reason.) Think of this as somewhat like Culbertson's 4NT/5NT convention.

Second, if the usual captain is the usual declarer, the frequent showing rather than asking reduces the number of useful lead-directors.

Third, the entire "IQ" concept actually is intended to be part of a bigger scheme. "IQ" means immediate "cue" rather than "queen." In the simple situation, the asker cues (or fails to cue) the trump Queen, which has benefits. In other situations, the "IQ6KCB" perhaps, the ask-or-answer is done with traditional responses (including Queen-asks), but the immediate cue is of a critical side focal suit King. E.g., after 1-P-2-P-3-P-3, ask with the diamond King but answer immediately without it. The "IQ" might be a specific void (after showing 4441 or 5440, ask with stiff but answer with void, which is cheaper than Exclusion) or might be control of the opponents' suit (after 1-(3)-4-P-?, ask with heart control but answer without heart control, which is cheaper than a 5 asking bid).

-P.J. Painter.

#10 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2011-March-30, 13:16

View Postmtvesuvius, on 2011-March-30, 10:47, said:

BeerRKCB anyone?

You side NT with the beer, and otherwise let partner declare. Seems like an awesome system.

I also find this alternative idea incredibly good, but only when no one has bid trumps yet, obviously.

-P.J. Painter.

#11 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2011-March-30, 13:47

Like a lot of schemes that seem to pop up in the forums, this approach suffers from keycard-itis.

What I mean is, supposing that looking for keycards is your only way to investigate slam, this method seems perfectly reasonable. However there are a lot of other approaches to slam auctions including showing shape, showing extra values, looking for control (ace or king or singleton or void) in a side suit, and so forth. Keycard is probably the worst of options.

Playing this approach, suppose partner opens 4. I want to look for slam. All I can do is bid 4NT (with the trump queen) or show my keycards at the five level (without the trump queen). Playing more standard methods I can isolate a problem suit by cuebidding at the five level, or I can make a general invite via 5. These approaches seem more frequently useful to me than what you've described.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#12 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2011-March-30, 13:57

View Postawm, on 2011-March-30, 13:47, said:

Like a lot of schemes that seem to pop up in the forums, this approach suffers from keycard-itis.

What I mean is, supposing that looking for keycards is your only way to investigate slam, this method seems perfectly reasonable. However there are a lot of other approaches to slam auctions including showing shape, showing extra values, looking for control (ace or king or singleton or void) in a side suit, and so forth. Keycard is probably the worst of options.

Playing this approach, suppose partner opens 4. I want to look for slam. All I can do is bid 4NT (with the trump queen) or show my keycards at the five level (without the trump queen). Playing more standard methods I can isolate a problem suit by cuebidding at the five level, or I can make a general invite via 5. These approaches seem more frequently useful to me than what you've described.

Yes, you are correct that if you played IQ in every conceivable situation, there might be something better.

However, one could decide to use this approach only in specific, defined situations.

Consider, for instance, that a person who already denied a void would not want to use Exclusion. A partnership who also just went through an exhaustive cuebidding sequence might not need much more in the way of cuebids. In some situations, therefore, some permutation of IQ might be just right. The key might be in deciding upon the circumstances where a permutation of IQ applies.

The simplest is the one where Meckwell uses an ask-or-answer. Texas-v-Jacoby followed by 5-level. If Meckwell sees no fruit in anything but ask-or-answer, then perhaps IQ works there fairly well.

-P.J. Painter.

#13 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-March-30, 14:25

I think this method needs to be further developed. Write a book about it, including a detailed description of when the method is on and when it is not. Then, give it to your wife.

It might just cure her fear of RKC.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#14 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2011-March-30, 15:07

View Posthan, on 2011-March-30, 14:25, said:

I think this method needs to be further developed. Write a book about it, including a detailed description of when the method is on and when it is not. Then, give it to your wife.

roflol

Actually, the version for my wife is simple:

With the Queen, ask. Without the Queen, answer.

The answers are just like Blackwood -- 0 (4), 1 (5), 2, 3. But, add in the trump King.

I told her about simple RKCB, and she ran away. I told her about this, and she likes it. The simple version is clearly better than Blackwood. So, whatever works, eh?

I don't see her using the full monty, though.

-P.J. Painter.

#15 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-March-30, 15:11

View Posthan, on 2011-March-30, 14:25, said:

Or instill an even greater fear of IQRKCB, which will dwarf her fear of RKCB.

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-March-30, 16:41

View PostArtK78, on 2011-March-30, 15:11, said:

Or instill an even greater fear of IQRKCB, which will dwarf her fear of RKCB.

I believe that was the point.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#17 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-March-30, 16:49

View Postkenrexford, on 2011-March-30, 15:07, said:

With the Queen, ask. Without the Queen, answer.

Working out when a cue bid is an "answer" or something else seems like a real headache. Anyway, I am really wondering why this is less frightening than Roman Keycard Blackwood.

#18 User is offline   tolvyrj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-March-30, 19:44

My wife is afraid of spiders and i think thats also irrational :rolleyes: . Though i must say araknofobia is more difficult because u meet spiders more often than situations where u need to ask aces from prds hand :lol: .
Seriously, u system is harder to learn than RKCB; 0314 or 1403 2 without and 2 with the trump Q.

#19 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2011-March-31, 06:49

RKC is simple for asking the question and when you get 5H/S answer, but many have trouble with Q asks and some such and I don't really blame for that. This seems to solve exactly that problem.
I think this won't really be an upgrade on RKC even with better agreements. At best you can win couple of steps for specific king ask. Sure this might be useful when minor is trumps but then you'd often rather also play kickback/minorwood or turbo.
And it's quite a job to consider when this would be on.

#20 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-April-03, 01:14

I have a hard time believing someone who finds RKCB too complicated would be less confused by this two-way system. Is it just the queen-ask part of RKCB that scares her?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users