Page 1 of 1

a simple question

#1 User is offline   blover 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-September-11, 08:33

NV against VUL
(1H)-1S-(2H)-?
Will you bid 2S, is it automatic? At the table i passed, because i don't want my partner to compete too much. And if LHO pass 2H, i believe partner will reenter auction at balancing seat if he has right hand. Do i think right or totally wrong?

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-September-11, 09:21

I would bid 2 for a couple of reasons - partner's overcall should be reasonable at this vulnerability as it has consumed no space, so hearing of support opposite could be important.

Secondly, if partner is on lead against NT I want a spade lead.

I would think this is fairly automatic - a simple competitive raise does not promise the world.

p
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   tendenz 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-September-11, 09:27

Bid Two Spades... follow the Law...
Good Bye :-)
Aldo
Niente consigli, fa' quel che senti.. tanto lo faresti lo stesso...

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-September-11, 09:38

automatic 2
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   ack_hh 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:carrots, bees, and PCs :)

Posted 2004-September-11, 10:13

Automatic 2 - partner might not be able
to reenter the auction without a fit.
I usually open with 13 cards

#6 User is offline   helium 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:BRIDGE!!!!!!

Posted 2004-September-11, 10:38

is it imp or mp?
i could pass in imp, in mp a clear 2
foole me once, shame one you!!
foole me twice, shame on me....!!

#7 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-September-11, 12:20

2 no matter the scoring.. i don't like my hand, but partner can't possibly know what to do if ops bid 3H (he could have 6, when 3S might be right)
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#8 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-September-11, 16:05

2S is automatic, no matter the game. More evidence of 2 handed rather than 4 handed bridge.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#9 User is offline   paulhar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Challenge square dancing (besides the obvious)

Posted 2004-September-15, 20:56

I bid 2S too, but I think it's a lot closer than everyone else here. Reason? I'm not sure my hand is good enough! Yes, I have 7 HCP, but I have a (probably) worthless king of hearts, I am aceless, I have two queens, I have 4-3-3-3 shape (with only three trump), my high cards are scattered, and no high cards are in my longest suit. Negative evaluation factors all over the place. If partner bids 4S I suspect he will be sorely disappointed.

Kaplan and Rubens call this hand 5.25 as dealer and it is certainly worse now with that heart bid. I don't think that blover is guilty of anything except good hand evaluation. B)
I tend to lead fourth best - as opposed to the best suit, the second best suit, or the third best suit for our side

#10 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-15, 23:59

I bid 2S unless my patner is a novice, then I pass. B)

#11 User is offline   blover 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-September-16, 00:29

Full hand is:

2H is final contrtact, We can make 2S, they can make 3H, but they may not compete to 3 level if i bid 2S.
I feel i'm wrong on this one because so many think 2S is automatic.

#12 User is offline   Dwayne 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-16, 01:55

2S anywhere, anytime, any place.

And twice on Sundays.

You can't worry about your partner overcompeting - you have to bid your hand.

Dwayne - honourary LoTT club member since 1992.
Al kuko kaj kaso cxiam venas amaso.

#13 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-16, 02:39

Id bid 2sp but you are not wrong, your thinking process is right meaning there is a down side to this bid, but here this down side isnt strong enough, put another card in heart and you will be right to pass. which partner will tend to double and you will bid remove to 2sp.

#14 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2004-September-16, 07:36

blover, on Sep 16 2004, 08:29 AM, said:

Full hand is:
Dealer: ?????
Vul: ????
Scoring: Unknown
AKxxx
xx
KQJx
xx
xx
AQJxx
xxx
Axx
JTx
xxx
AT
KJxxx
Qxx
KTx
xxxx
Qxx

2H is final contrtact, We can make 2S, they can make 3H, but they may not compete to 3 level if i bid 2S.
I feel i'm wrong on this one because so many think 2S is automatic.

here's my reasoning on competing to 2S... this is a competitive auction and we have a fit... they have a fit... if i pass, they play the hand at 2H making 140... partner doesn't know we have a fit and can't make a decision without this knowledge

imagine he has 6 spades and you show support with 2S... now over 3H he can decide to pass, double, or bid 3S... with 9 trumps, 3S is the winning bid (unless doubled vulnerable vs. nv ops, which might be the case here i don't know).. whatever he does, you should be happy since you got your bid off your chest and can abide by his decision.. on the other hand, had you withheld support you'd probably feel vaguely uneasy defending 2H (maybe even 3H)
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#15 User is offline   nikos59 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-16, 09:07

I too would bid 2S but with a lot of misgivings.
It is far from automatic imho. But you bid it because
everyone bids it, so your partner won't scold you
if passing turns out bad and won't expect you to
pass if passing is the winning option.

nikos

#16 User is offline   Rebound 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-16, 11:04

To me it is automatic except when vul vs. nv. At that vulnerability it's a pass to me. No one ever got shot for passing a poor hand.

I would prefer a partner to be more aggressive than to pass with that hand at the stated vulnerability.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - but it might improve my bridge.

#17 User is offline   paulhar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Challenge square dancing (besides the obvious)

Posted 2004-September-16, 11:50

nikos59, on Sep 16 2004, 10:07 AM, said:

But you bid it because everyone bids it, so your partner won't scold you if passing turns out bad

That's a heck of a reason to bid!

In some of the fields I play in, if I'm dealt Qxxx, Qxx, Kxx, Jxx and my partner opens 1NT (15-17), I suspect the field will bid 2NT. (Not a good field mind you, but the field I'm in.) Does that mean I should bid it - because everybody else does?

IMO, the 2NT bid is a joke and if partner berates me for passing, that's all the more reason to find a new partner that's more interested in good bridge than in results. Note that I would pass even though I expect my partner to outplay the field. (Heck, a few brave souls might pass 1NT and I want her +120 to beat their +90's.)

I have some small sympathy for your point of view though. As I've pointed out in these pages below, it doesn't matter if you can keep your head. If you expect to keep playing with this partner, and accept that this is something you can't change, maybe it's better to make the inferior 'field' bid to keep partner who might also think like the field from thinking you're having a bad day which might make him hog hands or shoot to make up for your alleged incompetence. (BTW if partner does that, you should seriously consider a new partner - but if this partner is your spouse, or the only other 'decent' player in your small town, or whatever, sometimes you are just stuck.)
I tend to lead fourth best - as opposed to the best suit, the second best suit, or the third best suit for our side

#18 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2004-September-16, 13:20

hey, i agree with that... i'd never 'scold' a partner for passing that hand, and wouldn't even say anything about it in public... i figure partner is always bidding and playing according to what seems right at the time... if he's wrong, he's wrong... it happens... of course i want the same courtesy

supposedly we're both trying to win, and he wouldn't have passed unless he thought that was best.. i'd try, later and in private, to show why i disagree, but that's about it... either play with someone or don't

#19 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-16, 13:44

Count me in for 2 too. However, compare this hand to this discussion we had last month:

Pass with this defensive raise?

Sorry, I don't know how to create the topic link.
"Phil" on BBO

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users