BBO Discussion Forums: Is there a better way to bid this? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there a better way to bid this?

#1 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-April-13, 15:24

IMP scoring

This deal occured in a KO match that we lost by a single IMP. 1NT is 'semi-forcing", so Sounth was allowed to pass. Reverse 2-way Drury, so 2 and 2 seem to be unavailable. Does anyone have a better suggestion on how to bid this?

I must admit that I (North) misplayed the hand at a crucial point - we should have made our contract and won the match. East led a heart and west took the first three heart tricks before switching to a diamond. I now made the misguided play of leading a spade to me hand to take the club finesse. While it won (stiff K onside), the J was a stopper and east had the K and the remaining hearts. If I play my clubs from the top, I make 1NT on the actual hand as well as any hand where clubs are 2-2 or 3-1 with a singleton honor. My actual line requires clubs to be 2-2 with the K onside. My actual line makes sense if I need 8 tricks, but I had only contracted for 7.

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-13, 18:27

2NT by a passed hand to show the minors might be especially helpful to those hampered by Drury.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-13, 18:59

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-April-13, 18:27, said:

2NT by a passed hand to show the minors might be especially helpful to those hampered by Drury.

Agree..... but I play it as a long minor... puppets to 3C for pass or correct.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-April-13, 20:15

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-April-13, 18:27, said:

This is how I like it.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#5 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-13, 20:39

View Postjh51, on 2011-April-13, 15:24, said:

1NT is 'semi-forcing", so Sounth was allowed to pass.

Semi-forcing means opener can pass with a balanced minimum, it doesn't mean he can or should pass with 5413.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#6 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-April-14, 02:21

View Post655321, on 2011-April-13, 20:39, said:

Semi-forcing means opener can pass with a balanced minimum, it doesn't mean he can or should pass with 5413.

Indeed !
Why look for complicated gadgets, on this simple sequence.

Bob Herreman

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-April-14, 04:17

View Post655321, on 2011-April-13, 20:39, said:

Quite true, but that only gets us out of 1NT. If Opener is 5-4-1-3 we want to play in clubs. If 5-4-3-1 we want to play in diamonds. The 1NT response, doesn't get the job done.

Being a passed hand creates an idle bid to fill a hole. An unpassed responder wouldn't have that.

This post has been edited by aguahombre: 2011-April-14, 04:24

#8 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-14, 04:40

2NT from passed hand delivers the message the passed hand wants to TELL. It is only a complicated bid to those who refuse to think. Why players insist on bidding 2NT to show the 10-11 hand is just not at all wise when you already have a way of showing that hand. about 8-11 and 5-5 + minors, gee how easy is that!

#9 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2011-April-14, 04:49

Hi,

Auction looks reasonable, although I prefer 2H instead of Pass,
and it is not clear, if you end up in 3C after 2H.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#10 User is offline   Raff90 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-14, 07:48

First i would bid 2H with the opener hand and after that 2NT for showing minors.

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-April-14, 09:50

View PostRaff90, on 2011-April-14, 07:48, said:

First i would bid 2H with the opener hand and after that 2NT for showing minors.

It is often difficult in these fora to discuss the merit of a treatment, convention, gadget ---whatever, when people are coming from different starting points. A tool is a good thing if it fills a gap on sometimes difficult hand patterns --and then, only if the bid is unused for some other purpose, or the bid it replaces can be incorporated into another sequence.

When people state how a convention or treatment sucks, is unworkable, etc. they really mean for THEM. The delayed 2NT suggested by Raff90 to show minors would mean that pair must have some other way of handling an 11-point passed hand without support for Spades or hearts.

p-1S
1N-2H
?

When the passed hand bid a semi-forcing NT, and held the eleven, it was all right if opener was weak-balanced, and passed. But presumably if opener had a suit to rebid he was expected to do so. 2NT/2H is now needed with the eleven count non-fitting invite.

Pairs will spend years "tweaking" their system, moving bids around so that more situations can be handled. Spouse and I have chosen not to use Drury at all, and to treat the 1NT response to a major forcing by a passed hand. This allows us to have natural 2m responses (forcing for one round only) and differentiate between a 10-11 point minor 2-suiter and one with less (direct 2NT). In turn, it affects what third-seat will open at all with and what a 3rd-seat weak two (major) might look like.

We don't think Drury sucks. We just don't find it inconvenient to include balanced limit raises into the 1NT responses, and this allows 2m to be used differently. Others believe Drury is vital (because of what their opening bids might look like); and we don't think that sucks for them.

#12 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-April-14, 12:22

Do you play an opening bid of 2 as weak two in diamonds? If so, consider giving up on two way drury, and just use 2 as drury. This allows 2 to be natural and non-forcing. You are more likely to want to bid clubs naturally after a major opening than diamonds because you don't have a weak two club opening bid available.

The "unusual 2NT" by a passed hand works well on a lot of hands, including this one. However, if you catch partner with 6S, 4H and a weak hand, you just got too high. Being able to bid 2 allows partner to rebids a six card spade suit, or if 5-4 to rebid his four card suit (hopefully diamonds). So the ability to use a natural 2 bid is not a cure-all either, but it would have worked on this hand as well.
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users