BBO Discussion Forums: (Al)most natural system - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(Al)most natural system System, Green according WBF rules (isn't it???)

#1 User is offline   bbochev 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge of course

Posted 2011-May-01, 09:05

We devised and played non standard system, comprising a lot of years experience. As we see it, system is Green according rules of WBF, but becouse system has quite different approach we need outside oppinion (and acceptance). Sysem is called UFO(Unlimited Forcing Openings) and comprise:
1) Type of hands:
BALANCED (max 1 doubleton, 5332 is OK) are evaluated in standard Milton Work points.
UNBALANCED are evaluated by "Tricks" - A=1.5, K=1, Q=.5 (singleton KQ not counted) + up to 2.5=(Longest-Shortest)/2. Responder count honors same way and adds distrib. "Tricks" when has fit - (Trumps-shortest)/2. There are some correcting factors when Tricks are non-integer (x.5) - uncounted singleton honor, J in support of top honor in long suit, uncounted length etc. BASEMENT IS: SUMM of BOTH HAND TRICKS = REAL TRICKS WE'LL USUALY MADE,PLAYNG IN OUR SUIT.
FREAK (7+ with singleton, 11+ in twosuits)
2) OPENINGS:
1 - 12+ Milton works
1 NT (for clubs) - 5+Tricks 4+ cards, onesuiter 6+, twosuiter suit+lower, three suiter suit + touching
2 - 4Major - 5+ tricks, 5+minor non touching (i.e. H+C/S+D)
2 - 5+Tricks, 5+Major - 4+minor non touching (i.e. H+C/S+D)
2 - 7 AKD suit, max Q outside ("gambling")
2 NT, 3 - transfer, preempt in next or around 10 winers 6+next suit + 5+ other
3 - Preempt with minors twosuiter
3 NT - preempt in ONE minor
4 Namyats etc.
(preempts are classical - -2/-3 in 1st/2nd seat)
3) FURTHER PROCEEDING - mixed - relays, constructs, limit etc.(Full system is about 65 pages and is written in Bulgarian :) )

Openings 1CDHS NT 2CDH have not upper limit and are ABSOLUTE forcing. Due to evaluation approach, lower limit is as low as 7 points in border distribution (i.e. Axxxxx, x, Kxx, xxx = 5 Tricks and worth opening)

Practise showed system give significiantly better results than standart approach.

So, if someone has comments or needs more info to discuss - post here or write me private bbochev@gmail.com

#2 User is offline   mattias 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-May-01, 11:41

View Postbbochev, on 2011-May-01, 09:05, said:

Openings 1CDHS NT 2CDH have not upper limit and are ABSOLUTE forcing. Due to evaluation approach, lower limit is as low as 7 points in border distribution (i.e. Axxxxx, x, Kxx, xxx = 5 Tricks and worth opening)

2.1 General
Average Hand a hand containing 10 high card points (Milton Work) with no distributional values
Weak high card strength below that of an average hand
Strong high card strength a king or more greater than that of an average hand
Natural a call or play that is not a convention ['special partnership understanding' as defined in Law 40B1(a)]
Length three cards or more
Shortage two cards or less
Long Match a match of 17 or more deals
Short Match a match of less than 17 deals

2.2 HUM Systems
For the purpose of this Policy, a Highly Unusual Method (HUM) means any System that ex­hib­its one or more of the following features, as a matter of partnership agreement:
A Pass in the opening position shows at least the values generally accepted for an opening bid of one, even if there are alternative weak possibilities
By partnership agreement an opening bid at the one level may be weaker than pass.
By partnership agreement an opening bid at the one level may be made with values a king or more below average strength.
By partnership agreement an opening bid at the one level shows either length or shortage in a specified suit
By partnership agreement an opening bid at the one level shows either length in one specified suit or length in another.

Seems pretty clear to me.

#3 User is offline   bbochev 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-May-01, 11:51

View Postmattias, on 2011-May-01, 11:41, said:

2.1 General
Average Hand a hand containing 10 high card points (Milton Work) with no distributional values
Weak high card strength below that of an average hand
Strong high card strength a king or more greater than that of an average hand
Natural a call or play that is not a convention ['special partnership understanding' as defined in Law 40B1(a)]
Length three cards or more
Shortage two cards or less
Long Match a match of 17 or more deals
Short Match a match of less than 17 deals

2.2 HUM Systems
For the purpose of this Policy, a Highly Unusual Method (HUM) means any System that ex­hib­its one or more of the following features, as a matter of partnership agreement:
A Pass in the opening position shows at least the values generally accepted for an opening bid of one, even if there are alternative weak possibilities
By partnership agreement an opening bid at the one level may be weaker than pass.
By partnership agreement an opening bid at the one level may be made with values a king or more below average strength.
By partnership agreement an opening bid at the one level shows either length or shortage in a specified suit
By partnership agreement an opening bid at the one level shows either length in one specified suit or length in another.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Average hand has NO DISTRIBUTIONAL power. To qualify unbal. hand with 7 points (K less) as good for open (5+ Tricks) hand should has MUCH DISTRIBUTION - 6+ cards and singleton AND AK :) Its not issue i think - look 1st definition.

#4 User is offline   mattias 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-01, 12:22

View Postbbochev, on 2011-May-01, 11:51, said:

Average hand has NO DISTRIBUTIONAL power. To qualify unbal. hand with 7 points (K less) as good for open (5+ Tricks) hand should have MUCH DISTRIBUTION - 6+ cards and singleton AND AK :) Its not issue i think - look 1st definition.

I don't think you are right. However, it is at least red because of the brown sticker 2C opening.

Red
Artificial: this category includes all artificial systems that do not fall under the definition of Highly Unusual Methods (HUM) systems [see definition below], other than Strong Club / Strong Diamond systems (see 'Blue').

Examples would be a system where one club shows one of three types - a natural club suit, a balanced hand of a specific range, or a Strong Club opener; or a system in which the basic methods (other than the no trump range) vary according to position, vulnerability and the like; or a system that uses conventional 'weak' or 'multi-meaning' bids (with or without some weak option) in potentially contestable auctions, other than those described in the main part of the WBF Convention Booklet

2.4 Brown Sticker Conventions and Treatments
The following conventions or treatments are categorised as 'Brown Sticker':
a) Any opening bid of two clubs through three spades that:
i) could be weak (may by agreement be made with values below average strength) AND
ii) does not promise at least four cards in a known suit.
EXCEPTION: The bid always shows at least four cards in a known suit if it is weak. If the bid does not show a known four card suit it must show a hand a king or more over average strength. (Explanation: Where all the weak meanings show at least four cards in one known suit, and the strong meanings show a hand with a king or more above average strength, it is not a Brown Sticker Convention.)
EXCEPTION: A two level opening bid in a minor showing a weak two in either major, whether with or without the option of strong hand types, as described in the WBF Conventions Booklet. Defensive measures are permitted for opponents as in 6 below.

Note that weak means high card strength below that of an average hand.

#5 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-01, 13:02

Practise showed system give significiantly better results than standart approach.

Good system.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-May-01, 13:12

View Postmattias, on 2011-May-01, 12:22, said:

I don't think you are right. However, it is at least red because of the brown sticker 2C opening.

Red
Artificial: this category includes all artificial systems that do not fall under the definition of Highly Unusual Methods (HUM) systems [see definition below], other than Strong Club / Strong Diamond systems (see 'Blue').

Examples would be a system where one club shows one of three types - a natural club suit, a balanced hand of a specific range, or a Strong Club opener; or a system in which the basic methods (other than the no trump range) vary according to position, vulnerability and the like; or a system that uses conventional 'weak' or 'multi-meaning' bids (with or without some weak option) in potentially contestable auctions, other than those described in the main part of the WBF Convention Booklet

2.4 Brown Sticker Conventions and Treatments
The following conventions or treatments are categorised as 'Brown Sticker':
a) Any opening bid of two clubs through three spades that:
i) could be weak (may by agreement be made with values below average strength) AND
ii) does not promise at least four cards in a known suit.
EXCEPTION: The bid always shows at least four cards in a known suit if it is weak. If the bid does not show a known four card suit it must show a hand a king or more over average strength. (Explanation: Where all the weak meanings show at least four cards in one known suit, and the strong meanings show a hand with a king or more above average strength, it is not a Brown Sticker Convention.)
EXCEPTION: A two level opening bid in a minor showing a weak two in either major, whether with or without the option of strong hand types, as described in the WBF Conventions Booklet. Defensive measures are permitted for opponents as in 6 below.

Note that weak means high card strength below that of an average hand.

I'm not so sure the 2 opening is BSC. It depends on the definition of "5+ tricks". If it's worth an opening, then it's never BSC, but if it's weak and distributional you're right.

What is meant exactly with the 1 opening?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   bbochev 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-May-01, 13:39

View PostFree, on 2011-May-01, 13:12, said:

I'm not so sure the 2 opening is BSC. It depends on the definition of "5+ tricks". If it's worth an opening, then it's never BSC, but if it's weak and distributional you're right.

Right. Lowest hand limit is like Kxxx, x, xx, Axxxxx (note AK and 6+ suit); AKQx, A, AKQ, AKJ10x is below upper limit...

1 club.... All balanced hands (incl.all 5332), that worth opening (12-37 :) Milton Work) open 1 club. Unbalanced onesuiters have 6+ suit (of course, AKDxx, Ax, xxx, xxx may open 1 S and than try to mimic as 6223)

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-May-02, 04:52

Does anyone actually care about this WBF color-coding? Looking at CCs from top events it sometimes seems pretty random to me.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2011-May-03, 12:50

Just a quick remark, you should probably switch 2 and 3 bids, simply for frequency reasons. (And add some strong option for 2S bid)
I haven't really played Fantunes, I don't have a good picture how they handle all those forcing openings. You have even more of them and really high too. Maybe they can work somehow but there's just no way to tell without any response structure.
Also it seems to me that your 1 opening is quite open to pre-empts. Natural systems have 1NT to split the NT range so when you get pre-empted, if you double and hold the balanced hand, it's 18-19. You have constant trouble when it goes 1 (3X) P (P), when to double, when to not.

#10 User is offline   bbochev 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-May-03, 13:24

View PostFlameous, on 2011-May-03, 12:50, said:

Just a quick remark, you should probably switch 2 and 3 bids, simply for frequency reasons. (And add some strong option for 2S bid)
I haven't really played Fantunes, I don't have a good picture how they handle all those forcing openings. You have even more of them and really high too. Maybe they can work somehow but there's just no way to tell without any response structure.
Also it seems to me that your 1 opening is quite open to pre-empts. Natural systems have 1NT to split the NT range so when you get pre-empted, if you double and hold the balanced hand, it's 18-19. You have constant trouble when it goes 1 (3X) P (P), when to double, when to not.

Thanks for comments. In fact 1 is most mature structure and worked extremely well!
Structure is:
1 - ?
1 5+ HPC,asks strength - 1 12-13,114-15 etc. (!note 1 point difference!)
1 0-4PC
1NT2 5+ cards (2 suits above) and 4-5 trics (like construction). Opener bid suit if no game interest and more other options if interest in higher contract. Strongest hands (6+ Tricks) go through 1.
After overcall through 3 (incl) we play transfer responses 4+ tricks(incl. dbl).
NT is balance with stopper, transfer to overcall is FG at least 1 4th M etc. Above 3 T/O dbls. (full schema is too long for post, yet simple enough, if interested, drop me email: bbochev@gmail.com)

Philosophy of system is: Major oriented, Play to make contracts, while make opps life dificult just with informative and worth opening unbalanced hand. When hand is balanced - no need to be agressive.

I have played bridge for more than 35 years and i'm still impressed how good "Trick" count is :) If contract is not best (from percentage point of view) it has at least playing chances.

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-03, 15:14

View Postbbochev, on 2011-May-03, 13:24, said:

I have played bridge for more than 35 years

In those 35 years, did anyone ever overcall 3 after you opened 1 and partner responded 1?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#12 User is offline   bbochev 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-May-03, 15:36

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-May-03, 15:14, said:

In those 35 years, did anyone ever overcall 3 after you opened 1 and partner responded 1?

I didn't read this remark... Exept you asking advise - please send me PM.

#13 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-May-04, 02:45

View Postbbochev, on 2011-May-03, 13:24, said:

1 - ?
[indent]1 5+ HPC,asks strength - 1 12-13,114-15 etc. (!note 1 point difference!)
~snip~

Only 1 point difference? You must be so proud! These days everyone agrees that distribution, suits and honour location are most important, while you're able to let opener describe his hand very accurately pointwise.

Sorry, but the 1 opening and it's continuations are crap.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#14 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-04, 09:33

View Postbbochev, on 2011-May-03, 15:36, said:

I didn't read this remark...

You answered without reading what I wrote? Spare yourself the effort...
    -- Bertrand Russell

#15 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2011-May-04, 10:28

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-May-04, 09:33, said:

There could be a language concern here, and the person might have meant "I didn't understand..."
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#16 User is offline   bbochev 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-May-04, 10:48

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-May-04, 09:33, said:

Hi, not bad intention! I just wanted to say,that I can't see question - IMO your post is incomplete...
This only question looks for me without much sense - you meant i never bother myself about opps preempts?

#17 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-04, 14:40

View Postbbochev, on 2011-May-04, 10:48, said:

Hi, not bad intention! I just wanted to say,that I can't see question - IMO your post is incomplete...
This only question looks for me without much sense - you meant i never bother myself about opps preempts?

No, I meant that I suspect your method only works because your opposition is very timid. I think sorting out 12+ points, unlimited, shape unknown, vs. 5+ points, unlimited, shape unknown, at the 4 level is impossible.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#18 User is offline   Crunch3nt 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-11, 16:54

View PostFree, on 2011-May-04, 02:45, said:

Only 1 point difference? You must be so proud! These days everyone agrees that distribution, suits and honour location are most important, while you're able to let opener describe his hand very accurately pointwise.

Sorry, but the 1 opening and it's continuations are crap.

I think you are being very unfair. His entire system is based around the fact that distribution is more important than HCP - that's why he lumps all balanced hands into 1 bid and uses all the other bids to describe shapes with unlimited point ranges no less. And then he is able to describe his balanced ranges into a 1 point range at a low level - clearly better in uncontested auctions than normal systems!

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-May-04, 14:40, said:

No, I meant that I suspect your method only works because your opposition is very timid. I think sorting out 12+ points, unlimited, shape unknown, vs. 5+ points, unlimited, shape unknown, at the 4 level is impossible.

Do you really think he is that worse off vs a "standard" player after preemption? His 1C is always balanced, whereas a standard 1C could be 11-19 HCP, clubs or not clubs, balanced or unbalanced. One, two or 3 suited or not. Its at least a draw in terms of preemptive effect, in fact he is probably ahead.

Keep the faith bbochev!

#19 User is offline   Crunch3nt 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-11, 16:56

I do think the 2C opening is brown sticker - Needs to be a King above average strength not to be.

#20 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-12, 05:37

View PostCrunch3nt, on 2011-May-11, 16:54, said:

Do you really think he is that worse off vs a "standard" player after preemption? His 1C is always balanced, whereas a standard 1C could be 11-19 HCP, clubs or not clubs, balanced or unbalanced. One, two or 3 suited or not. Its at least a draw in terms of preemptive effect, in fact he is probably ahead.

If I'm playing a standard Walsh style, after 1-1, I know that my partner either doesn't have 4 hearts or is strong enough to balance. So with a 3433 minimum I have nothing to worry about and can just pass. Playing Polish Club, I know that my partner is limited to 7 points at most, so even with a 2425 16-count I can pass without too much risk of missing game. Etc.

OTOH, with the bbochev system, after 1-1, I know neither whether we have a 4-4 heart fit nor how strong my partner is. Won't this be a nice auction:

1 - (p) - 1 - (3)
Dbl - (p) - 4 - (p)
p - (Dbl) - p - (p)
p

Woohoo, we found our 4-4 heart fit! Unfortunately, we are both balanced and only have 18 HCP combined, so we went for 1100...

Etc.
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users