BBO Discussion Forums: (Al)most natural system - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(Al)most natural system System, Green according WBF rules (isn't it???)

#21 User is offline   bbochev 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge of course

Posted 2011-May-14, 00:32

View PostCrunch3nt, on 2011-May-11, 16:54, said:

I think you are being very unfair. His entire system is based around the fact that distribution is more important than HCP - that's why he lumps all balanced hands into 1 bid and uses all the other bids to describe shapes with unlimited point ranges no less. And then he is able to describe his balanced ranges into a 1 point range at a low level - clearly better in uncontested auctions than normal systems!

Do you really think he is that worse off vs a "standard" player after preemption? His 1C is always balanced, whereas a standard 1C could be 11-19 HCP, clubs or not clubs, balanced or unbalanced. One, two or 3 suited or not. Its at least a draw in terms of preemptive effect, in fact he is probably ahead.

Keep the faith bbochev!

You grasp the principles of the system - shape is more important than strength, espacialy in competative situations! It's relatively easier to add strength to hand after opps inervention (biding feature or using dbl). When you are "unshaped" there are more problems - how to show at once more strength and shape?

#22 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-May-16, 01:26

View PostCrunch3nt, on 2011-May-11, 16:54, said:

I think you are being very unfair. His entire system is based around the fact that distribution is more important than HCP - that's why he lumps all balanced hands into 1 bid and uses all the other bids to describe shapes with unlimited point ranges no less. And then he is able to describe his balanced ranges into a 1 point range at a low level - clearly better in uncontested auctions than normal systems!

If pretty much every 'distributional' opening needs 5+ tricks, then 1 will be opened on many types of hands, even distributional ones. As I said before (concerning 2 being BSC), it depends a lot on the definition of "5+ tricks" - which is not the same as 8- losers.

Most hands with 12-17HCP don't have 5 tricks imo. Axxxx-KQx-QJxx-x is a nice minimum but I only count 2 tricks, maybe 3. Give it the A and it's still a 1 opener. That's why I asked what's meant exactly by the 1 opening, but I never got any response to that... So while all balanced hands are opened 1, a lot of unbalanced ones are opened 1 as well from what I can tell. :rolleyes:
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#23 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2011-May-16, 11:24

Note that he had his own way of counting "tricks" (Like AKQ points halved + distributional extra)

As far as I understand, 1 is always balanced.

#24 User is offline   bbochev 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge of course

Posted 2011-May-17, 14:00

View PostFree, on 2011-May-16, 01:26, said:

If pretty much every 'distributional' opening needs 5+ tricks, then 1 will be opened on many types of hands, even distributional ones. As I said before (concerning 2 being BSC), it depends a lot on the definition of "5+ tricks" - which is not the same as 8- losers.

Most hands with 12-17HCP don't have 5 tricks imo. Axxxx-KQx-QJxx-x is a nice minimum but I only count 2 tricks, maybe 3. Give it the A and it's still a 1 opener. That's why I asked what's meant exactly by the 1 opening, but I never got any response to that... So while all balanced hands are opened 1, a lot of unbalanced ones are opened 1 as well from what I can tell. :rolleyes:

In fact "Tricks" are not exactly = 13-losers...
Tricks evaluation is used only with unbalanced hand opening and with trump support.
Opener: A=1.5, K=1, Q=.5 TRicks + (longest-shortest)/2 (up to 2.5)
Responder: AKQ same + (Trumps-shortest)/2
(Singeton K,Q do not count, when count is not whole number rounding depends on correcting factors...
UP: J with high honor in long suit, more than 5 difference - .6+void etc.,
Down: K, Q unsupported in short for BOTH hands suits, singleton A, support in shorter suit of partner)
Shortnes opposite no waste K, Q adds 1 trick for good trumps fit.
Summ of both hand Tricks = total tricks would be made playng on agreed suit

Example:
1.)
Opener: Axxxx,KQx, QJxx, x = 3.5 honors Tricks + 2 (-) = 5.5 rounded to 6 couse of J
Responder: xxxx, Axx, Kxxx, xx = 2.5 honors Trics + 1 (Trumps-) = 3.5 rounded to 3
2.)
Opener: Axxxx,KQx, QJxx, x = 3.5 honors Tricks + 2 (-) = 5.5 rounded to 6 couse of J
Responder: Qxx, xxxx, Axxx, Kx = 3 honors Trics + .5 (Trumps-) = 3.5 rounded to 3
3.) (lowest limit to open)
Opener: Axxxxx, x, Kxx,xxx = 2.5 honors + 2.5 distrib = 5
Responder: KDxx, xxxxx, Ax, xx = 3 honors + 1 distrib = 4

-----------
1.) summ = 9 + 1 (singleton club opposite xx and good trump fit) = 10 -> 1.) against the odds, but reasonable game...
2.) summ = 9 (but if you know x opposite Kx clubs, less)
3.) summ = 9 + 1 (singleton opposite no lost K,Q and good trump fit) = 10

It's not "silver bullet and exaples are somehow "deviced", but statistics showed very reasonable contracts.

#25 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-May-18, 03:08

Ok, I missed that part apparently, zzz... <_<
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

12 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users