• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Paterno

#41 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-14, 07:53

There is the long term pattern, there is the specific and horrific event witnessed in the shower, there is the original investigation of other charges. Reasonable people will want some answers as to just how this could all have happened. One need not be a confirmed cynic to suspect that some of these answers, if they appear, will not be easy to take.

As the nation grows more sedentary we make gods of our athletes. It's as if we outsource our need for exercise. For quite a few reasons this is not a good idea.
Ken

#42 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-14, 09:07

"Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius" -- Arnaud Amalric, Papal Legate, at Béziers, Languedoc, in what is now France, 1209 A.D.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#43 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-November-14, 16:54

BBC News said:

Fired Penn State football coach Joe Paterno's name has been taken off a championship trophy amid the child abuse scandal rocking the university. League commissioner Jim Delany said it would be "inappropriate" to keep Mr Paterno on the Big Ten trophy.

By the time these guys get through, Joe Paterno will have never existed.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#44 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2011-November-14, 17:01

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-November-14, 16:54, said:

By the time these guys get through, Joe Paterno will have never existed.

A non-person (as we say in the UP), I suppose.
:)
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#45 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2011-November-14, 22:05

:P Some people have certain urges which no one can gainsay. Controlling such we could celebrate, but for the the common good we just have to look the other way.

#46 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-15, 09:54

I wonder how this will end for Paterno. Americans are often forgiving of someone who admits error and makes a sincere effort to make amends. Surely this is still possible, even for Paterno. But I can't think of any examples in recent history where someone has done this in a credible way. McNamara perhaps, but that was just too late to matter. Great people have such weird ideas of what greatness is.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#47 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-15, 10:00

I might be wrong, but from what I have read JP would find it too late to throw himself on the mercy of the public and be believable. He seems to consider himself a collateral victim, and I don't think he can unring that bell.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#48 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-November-15, 14:59

One wonders what all of these guys were thinking the last few years when they knew the Grand Jury was looking into all of this.

For instance the President never told his bosses, the trustees of the University, anything at all?

While the grand jury itself is secret you can certainly tell your bosses something. You can look for the kid who was raped and try and help.

You can get the rapist off the campus.

You can alert the local police and warn the local community.

#49 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-16, 07:28

View Postmike777, on 2011-November-15, 14:59, said:

For instance the President never told his bosses, the trustees of the University, anything at all?

As I have stated, I strongly believe that, like many others in this case, the trustees have known about the situation for quite some time. Who will fire them? I would guess they are appointed by the governor, but not sure.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#50 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-16, 07:51

View Postbillw55, on 2011-November-16, 07:28, said:

As I have stated, I strongly believe that, like many others in this case, the trustees have known about the situation for quite some time. Who will fire them? I would guess they are appointed by the governor, but not sure.

My thinking would be that it is routine to share good news with trustees, but not to share (non-public) bad news. So I wouldn't be surprised if the trustees never heard about this from the president. Obviously they should have heard about it when the Madden article appeared, or maybe they heard about the ongoing grand jury investigation.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users