Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Linux problems lately Problems running Flash-version in Ubunto 11.10

#1 User is offline   pio_magic 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-22, 16:36

I have been using it successfully for months, but it suddenly stopped working, nothing goes, neither in firefox nor in chrome. Any ideas? The flash-stuff is running in the background, I can see that in the process list. But nothing on the screen but whiteness.... (inside the window of course ;))

Peter

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-February-22, 17:13

Hm, it's working fine for me on Iceweasel 8.0 (Iceweasel is a rebranded Firefox for Debian).

Have you tried clearing your browser cache?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-22, 22:05

mgoetze, on 2012-February-22, 17:13, said:

Hm, it's working fine for me on Iceweasel 8.0 (Iceweasel is a rebranded Firefox for Debian).

Have you tried clearing your browser cache?

I would also recommend clearing browser cache. BBO is likely delivered in a number of .swf files. They put out an enhancement to the options part recently that required clearing browser cache to get. I have used it without problem in Chrome on Mac (except for that recent change). It has been horribly problematic on a Windows 7 laptop using Chrome since last November. The solution on that machine seems to be to use IE - ugh.

I do wonder if BBO is failing to give the components new names when they release enhancements. Just clearing browser cache may not solve the problem if all that happens is you get an old cached copy from some local node.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-February-22, 23:23

In the early days of the web version, the URL contained the version number, and it changed every time it was updated. This caused a number of problems:

1. Those of us who bookmarked the link had to update our bookmarks every time.

2. Preferences all reset to defaults after each upgrade, I assume because Flash ties saved local data to the URL as a security measure.

So now the URL stays the same. I'm not sure why this should cause problems -- browsers are supposed to check the modification time of a page, and not use the cached copy if the page is newer than the cache time. Some browsers make this a preference option -- if you have a slow connection, you might choose speed of rendering over getting the most up-to-date copy of a page. So make sure you have the option set to check often.

#5 User is offline   pio_magic 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-23, 02:30

FM75, on 2012-February-22, 22:05, said:

I would also recommend clearing browser cache.

Did that and did not help. But if others don't have the problem, I must look here ... :)

Thanks anyhow

Peter

#6 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-23, 08:51

barmar, on 2012-February-22, 23:23, said:

In the early days of the web version, the URL contained the version number, and it changed every time it was updated. This caused a number of problems:

1. Those of us who bookmarked the link had to update our bookmarks every time.

2. Preferences all reset to defaults after each upgrade, I assume because Flash ties saved local data to the URL as a security measure.

So now the URL stays the same. I'm not sure why this should cause problems -- browsers are supposed to check the modification time of a page, and not use the cached copy if the page is newer than the cache time. Some browsers make this a preference option -- if you have a slow connection, you might choose speed of rendering over getting the most up-to-date copy of a page. So make sure you have the option set to check often.

barmar,
BBO wants users to use the browser version. The statement "browsers are supposed to check the modification time of a page, and not use the cached copy if the page is newer than the cache time" is wrong. To run a web-based operation smoothly, it is important to understand why it is wrong. Caching can occur on the clients device, as well as at various "hops" along the internet. If a browser were supposed to check the header of each resource for its date and make a comparison against a cached date, it would have to force the header check to go to the originating server.

However, that said, even if it were correct, it is wrong to expect that BBO users should manage their browsers in a specific way to make BBO work correctly. Yes, they of course have to allow Flash. But other than that, when they click on the link to start the web client, control of what they get should be managed at the web server end, not in the management of the browser by each of your tens of thousands of users.

Please research this problem and correct it. There are several threads on BBO relating to web versions failing to work at all, much less not running with what you hope is the current software.

Thanks

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-February-23, 10:21

What I was describing is how the web is supposed to work in general. Web sites update their pages frequently, and they don't normally rename them.

But since he cleared his cache and it didn't solve the problem, this doesn't even seem relevant.

#8 User is offline   pio_magic 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-24, 11:33

barmar, on 2012-February-23, 10:21, said:

But since he cleared his cache and it didn't solve the problem, this doesn't even seem relevant.

Certainly not. Problem solved, too. Reason: Well, don't really know. Was using gnash-plugin aparently (came with my installation) which stopped working. Replaced by Adobes Plugin and now it works again.

Peter

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users