Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Now, later, or not at all?

#1 User is offline   sailoranch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-26, 14:35

Both vulnerable at IMPs. Thanks in advance.
Kaya!

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-26, 16:19

All b.s. deleted. I miscounted your hand. Think I will let this one slide with a pass opposite a partner who passed.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-August-26, 16:32

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-August-26, 16:19, said:

All b.s. deleted. I miscounted your hand. Think I will let this one slide with a pass opposite a partner who passed.

I would double...

If partner replies 1, I will rebid 2 hoping to show 5/4 in minors and value. Why we want the opponents to buy this so cheap is beyond me.
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-August-26, 16:39

not concerned with them buying it cheap. More concerned with us buying it expensive. It's IMPS, and we really have an ugly 18 which turned uglier.

I realize I am against all the forum posters who must be doing something at every opportunity; so, touche and well done, if action works better here.

#5 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-26, 16:51

The only question I have is if o.p. plays Inverted Minors, because then we might need to be competing in a minor suit. Otherwise, partner passing is a bad omen, so I am just going to be quiet.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-August-26, 17:02

I have a hunch that if we are playing 1C-3C as "mixed", rather than crap, partner will come back in if it is convenient. If partner had a diamond response, she would have made a diamond response. Still, what I know at this time leads to Pass.

#7 User is offline   sailoranch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-26, 17:38

Yep, inverted minors are on, with 3 being appropriate for the vulnerability. Hands with responding values and no convenient response would bid 1NT.
Kaya!

#8 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-August-26, 18:12

Pass. Partner did pass 1C, did she not?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-August-26, 18:27

Pass, the worst we can lose is a partial swing at IMPs. Like aguahombre said, you don't want to buy it expensive at IMPS. It's just possible if the 1 balancer is fairly weak that LHO has opening values behind you. If so, it means that there's a stack behind you as well.

#10 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-26, 22:01

I would try 1NT. Not ideal, obviously, but I'm not going to pass with half the deck and a doubleton heart. If we get hit I can consider redoubling to have partner pick a minor.

Say partner has something like SK and out. They might easily take 7 or 8 tricks in hearts and we might be on a club finesse to make 1NT. It would not be surprising at all to lose a partscore swing by passing.

#11 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-August-27, 04:14

Just thought I would mention that I want to continue because I feel fairly confident about making 7. If I can get 1 entry to partner I feel confident about making 8...(If partner has 2-3 clubs). If I cannot manage to make 8, I feel fairly confident that opponents can easily make 2H..(If partner is not sitting on a heart stack).

At this point, I would rather double and leave it open for us.

Note: I mostly bid considering MPs. At IMPs, this is only a matter of pushing them to a point where I feel we can possibly set their contract. 1H for them, I would rather push a little more.

If MPs, I really do not want to be sitting at the table after explaining to partner why their 1H= is a top when most are playing 2H-1 or we are making a club contract.
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#12 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-27, 05:09

Partner has passed 1C, they have nada. Bidding again with this hand is courting disaster.

#13 User is offline   sailoranch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-29, 16:58

Thanks for your replies. In real life, I wanted to contest the partscore despite the diminished values, but all of the actions seemed flawed so I passed. Lefty raised to 2 and I resisted the temptation to come back in with 2NT.

I thought the decision to concede a possible 5-6 IMP swing was hard. I didn't think this was wtp as partner's pass isn't just scary on its own. But I am concerned about the suitability of the clubs and the ability to safely explore for a minor suit fit. The suggestion that West has a likely club stack over me is interesting. I also thought that East was likely to have something in spades for her balance, which with the lack of double would suggest a greater chance of diamond shortness and, as a result, of a diamond fit. But I wasn't so confident in this inference to do anything.

I do like the idea of bidding 1NT and getting to 2m through the back door though.
Kaya!

#14 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-29, 17:09

1NT to show the nature of my hand. Call me simple minded, but I have 18 and partner has 0-5 with the higher end being more likely a priori, so we more likely have more than they do. I won't just give up at the 1 level.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#15 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-August-30, 01:07

Same for me. 1NT is safe and I don't want to give up at the 1-level. I cannot compete if they raise to 2H, but partner may be able to if we show our hand now. He doesn't need to have a yarborough, he might just have king fourth of clubs for example.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#16 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-September-01, 06:11

This actually depends quite a lot on how standard your methods are.
Playing a short 1C opening, and in particular playing transfer advances (I know this is the I&A forum, but transfer advances are quite common now outside the ACBL), partner basically only passes with a very weak hand with length in clubs, and basically never passes with a 5-card major and not with short clubs either.

That means that we have a minor suit fit and they have a major suit fit; I'd pass because we won't win the partscore competition however hard we try and we're vulnerable and partner has basically nothing.

Playing more traditional methods where partner only responses with 5 (or 6)+ HCP I agree with 1NT. I don't think that will get to 2m 'by the back door' because they will bid 2M, but it might slow down the auction and let us play there.

#17 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-01, 07:13

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-September-01, 06:11, said:

This actually depends quite a lot on how standard your methods are.
Playing a short 1C opening, and in particular playing transfer advances (I know this is the I&A forum, but transfer advances are quite common now outside the ACBL), partner basically only passes with a very weak hand with length in clubs, and basically never passes with a 5-card major and not with short clubs either.

That means that we have a minor suit fit and they have a major suit fit; I'd pass because we won't win the partscore competition however hard we try and we're vulnerable and partner has basically nothing.

Playing more traditional methods where partner only responses with 5 (or 6)+ HCP I agree with 1NT. I don't think that will get to 2m 'by the back door' because they will bid 2M, but it might slow down the auction and let us play there.

I was thinking this. Seems completely safe to bid 2C, but then I am used to a short club and transfer advances, where partners pass basically always has 4+ clubs. (3343 can be a problem though :().

I would hate to be undercompeting when partner has some (341)5 hand for example.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users