BBO Discussion Forums: What does partner have? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What does partner have?

#1 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-September-09, 19:07

NV/NV teams

1 (2) 3 (P)
3 (P) 4NT (P)
?

Agreements:
- At this vul 1 is 13+ balanced or 14+ natural
- X would be penalty interest, 2 would be natural invite, 2 diamonds either GF or weak, 2 club cue-raise, 3 weak club raise

I have:
AJ9
Q93
AQ76

I thought 3 was probably a splinter and I can't bid 3NT over that, so I tried 3 (showing values) to see what would happen next.
If 3 showed diamonds (maybe trying to show a super good hand with diamonds in case they bid 4?) then 4NT would be exclusion for hearts.
If 3 was a splinter for clubs, 4NT makes no sense as it would be exclusion for diamonds!

What would you have bid over 3? What do you bid over 4NT (you can assume he will bid 4NT no matter what you do)? What do you think partner has?

Partner is way better than me so you can safely assume he hasn't done anything stupid (like forget our agreements over michaels for instance).
I Transfers

#2 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-September-09, 20:35

Off the top interpretation, 3 shows a stopper looking for NT. 3 shows a stopper, implying concern in a minor. 4N is quantitative, probably 18-19 balanced (slam possibility outweight penalty options).

If this is the dialog, then I will bid 5 4-card suits up the line, accepting slam and trying for a safe minor suit contract. I will pass partner's 6 or 6N.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-09, 20:50

I'm sure pard will justify this auction to a T but it sucks. 2 or 2 as unusual vs unuaual would leave us lots of necessary room and a clue.

Since I have none and a bare opening, I pass.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2012-September-09, 21:06

View PostQuantumcat, on 2012-September-09, 19:07, said:

What would you have bid over 3? What do you bid over 4NT (you can assume he will bid 4NT no matter what you do)? What do you think partner has?

Splinter raise of clubs makes sense. I wouldn't understand it being a splinter with long diamonds.

Over 3, I'll bid 4 (based on my understanding of 3 being a splinter for clubs; if it's diamonds somehow, I'm lost). A bid of 3 sounds too encouraging. Partner's not going to bid 3NT, so I wouldn't think 3 is just a concentration here.

It's hard to believe 4NT would be exclusion for diamonds, though it's technically possible: LHO is 5-6-2-0, partner is 4-1-0-8, RHO is 1-3-7-2.

Why do you suggest 3 can be a splinter with diamonds? Is it just because of the 4NT bid? Assuming it is just because of the 4NT bid and not due to some systemic precedent I don't know about:

If partner is fairly literal, I'll just respond to exclusion for diamonds. If partner likes creative/torture bids, maybe I can be convinced (s)he decided I'd figure out that it should be exclusion for hearts, with diamonds trump.

#5 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-September-09, 21:41

View Postsemeai, on 2012-September-09, 21:06, said:

Why do you suggest 3 can be a splinter with diamonds? Is it just because of the 4NT bid?

I didn't think it could be a splinter with diamonds, I thought it might show diamonds the same way 2 does, but maybe he wanted to say he has the gameforce version and extras in case of a 4 bid.

But partner isn't mean enough to invent a bid on the fly like that - if he had long good diamonds and void heart he would have started with 2, then 4NT. I didn't truly believe that's what he had at the time because I know he doesn't do things like that, even though there didn't seem any other possible meaning for 4NT.
I Transfers

#6 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2012-September-09, 22:12

View PostQuantumcat, on 2012-September-09, 21:41, said:

I didn't think it could be a splinter with diamonds, I thought it might show diamonds the same way 2 does, but maybe he wanted to say he has the gameforce version and extras in case of a 4 bid.

Okay. Did partner agree to your system over Michaels under duress? :P I still wouldn't understand 3 being diamonds if partner agreed to 2 weak or GF unless your partner really hates it.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-09, 23:08

This debate is way too deep for noobies like me :blink:
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-10, 03:26

partner splintered in hearts to show support in our suit, and next asks how many keycards we have. USe whatever answer its standard for you and concentrate on making 6

#9 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-10, 03:53

View PostFluffy, on 2012-September-10, 03:26, said:

partner splintered in hearts to show support in our suit, and next asks how many keycards we have. USe whatever answer its standard for you and concentrate on making 6

4 would be plain keycard, if 4nt was asking for keycards it would have a void diamond. That's why i said in the op that 3 being a splinter for clubs seems the most obvious meaning, but then 4nt makes no sense.

Partner's bidding did make sense after the fact, and probably was the most accurate way to bid his hand. I didn't understand during the auction and said he should have chosen something less accurate that would definitely be understood. He says the meaning is obvious and anyone would get it right. I started this thread to see what proportion of people did figure it out (always nice to know how dumb I am) but no one has yet!
I Transfers

#10 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-10, 09:29

View PostQuantumcat, on 2012-September-10, 03:53, said:

I started this thread to see what proportion of people did figure it out (always nice to know how dumb I am) but no one has yet!

I am beginning to think your partner must be better at rhetoric than logic. :)

I do not understand any interpretation where 3H is not a splinter.

4N feels quantative on tihs auction to me, perhaps he is 4144 and wants to avoid 6C when you have only three.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#11 User is offline   sailoranch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-10, 09:49

If 4 is kickback, does 4NT become a replacement cue? Maybe Last Train?
Kaya!

#12 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-10, 17:39

Phil is getting closer. We don't play last train, didn't think to mention that.
I Transfers

#13 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-10, 17:49

View PostQuantumcat, on 2012-September-10, 17:39, said:

Phil is getting closer. We don't play last train, didn't think to mention that.

Actually, this could be the only way to get diamonds into the picture if he is 3145, and opener can be 3442 or similar. If one club can be 42 in the minors for your balanced hands, then I would think that 4N should be showing 4d and offering a choice of strain. I didnt immediately realise this implication from the OP's statement of methods, but if you are opening 1c with 43 you are probably opening 1c with 42.

If this is what your partner had, I retract my comments about his logic. :)
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#14 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-September-10, 18:12

What did partner have? I think your partner had a brain fart to pull a sequence like this when clearly it was non discussed. Or partner was trying to show how clever he(she) was.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users