Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Playing in 6S - revisited

#1 User is offline   killer_ 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-September-09, 01:42

Hi all, this is with reference to a friend's post about a week ago, planning the play in 6 with the K lead. In the original problem he left out the T in the South hand, which could be critical.

There are 2 general lines of play, the first by guessing the clubs and ruffing a heart in dummy (seemed popular), the second by crossruffing after discarding 2 clubs. I was surprised to note that the second line seemed to be dismissed by many. Here's my explanation:

The play goes: A, AKQ discarding clubs, club ruff, heart ruff, club ruff, heart ruff.

Now assuming declarer can ruff safely back into hand the 3rd time in one of the minors, he cashes the K and exits the T; if W wins, declarer is home (probable from the lead?) and if E takes the trick, S can still "finesse" for the J by ruffing with T on the next-to-last trick.

So if S is able to pull off the play without getting ruffed or overruffed, he can manage either an endplay or at worst a finesse. Note that this line doesn't rely on a favorable trump break (in reality, the trumps broke 4-1 with both AQ offside :P)

Is this line superior to simply playing a club at trick 2? Appreciate comments.

PS Something to think about for line 1: If at trick 2 a club to the J forces the A, then on a diamond return declarer is forced to ruff back into hand TWICE (once to ruff the last heart and once to draw trumps) eventually - entailing substantially higher risks. This is assuming opps will rise with A in a slam seeing AKQ in dummy.

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-09, 03:10

View Postkiller_, on 2012-September-09, 01:42, said:

Hi all, this is with reference to a friend's post about a week ago, planning the play in 6 with the K lead. In the original problem he left out the T in the South hand, which could be critical.

There are 2 general lines of play, the first by guessing the clubs and ruffing a heart in dummy (seemed popular), the second by crossruffing after discarding 2 clubs. I was surprised to note that the second line seemed to be dismissed by many. Here's my explanation:

The play goes: A, AKQ discarding clubs, club ruff, heart ruff, club ruff, heart ruff.

Now assuming declarer can ruff safely back into hand the 3rd time in one of the minors, he cashes the K and exits the T; if W wins, declarer is home (probable from the lead?) and if E takes the trick, S can still "finesse" for the J by ruffing with T on the next-to-last trick.

So if S is able to pull off the play without getting ruffed or overruffed, he can manage either an endplay or at worst a finesse. Note that this line doesn't rely on a favorable trump break (in reality, the trumps broke 4-1 with both AQ offside :P)

Is this line superior to simply playing a club at trick 2? Appreciate comments.

PS Something to think about for line 1: If at trick 2 a club to the J forces the A, then on a diamond return declarer is forced to ruff back into hand TWICE (once to ruff the last heart and once to draw trumps) eventually - entailing substantially higher risks. This is assuming opps will rise with A in a slam seeing AKQ in dummy.

1- Coming to hand safely maybe a problem and even if you can you are down if East takes the T . K of lead doesnt mean he has the J, he is leading vs slam after all.

East may also ruff 4th sometimes from xx or even xxx(x)to promote partners Jx. :)

2-About the second line, after J loses to A and back (your defense) declarer is NOT forced to ruff to hand twice (although he can if he wants to) because he doesnt need to ruff any to dummy if 3-2 or stiff J. He doesnt even need 3-2 clubs. He can take the return, and clear trumps and claims his 12 tricks even if 4-1 ! 6+2+3+1 =12 ;)

Welcome to BBF by the way :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   killer_ 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-September-11, 04:20

For point 1, like I said, if E takes the T, it simply comes down to a finesse for the J trump. The club line requires the club finesse AND 3-2 trumps.

Point 2 is true, I overlooked the repeat of the club finesse.

It comes down to choosing between playing for a favorable distribution in one minor, and 3-2 trump break. The second fails once the bad break is revealed, but the first can have additional chances (for example if E shows out or drops the Ace on the second round of clubs, then the 3rd club ruff can be assumed to be safe)

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-11, 04:28

View Postkiller_, on 2012-September-11, 04:20, said:

For point 1, like I said, if E takes the T, it simply comes down to a finesse for the J trump. The club line requires the club finesse AND 3-2 trumps.

No, it comes down to finesse for the J of trump AFTER you survive coming to hand safely. You may misguess which suit was safe to get to hand, or you may not even have a safe way at all, assume LHO held

9xx
KQxxx
xxx
Qx
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   sailoranch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-11, 05:52

On the crossruff line, East may ruff with the jack from Jx. If you overruff, it promotes West's 9xx. If you pitch your heart, it leaves East to lead a plain card for a promotion.

You're also going to have guesses when East ruffs jack from either Jxx or J9xx.
Kaya!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users