BBO Discussion Forums: Playing Weak NT what to open with a 5 card major and balanced? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Playing Weak NT what to open with a 5 card major and balanced?

Poll: When to Bid Major When to Bid NT (20 member(s) have cast votes)

When to Bid Major When to Bid NT

1. Always bid 1NT (6 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. Always bid the major (2 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. With a very weak major, bid NT otherwise bid the major (7 votes [35.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

4. With a very strong major, bid the Major otherwise bid NT (3 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

5. around 50:50 maybe 5 points + in the major suit bid the major otherwise bid NT? (2 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

6. depends on form of scoring/state of match etc etc (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-June-18, 06:06

this is something that seems to differ massively between teachers, textbooks etc. one week I seem to be told one thing, another week, something else!

my question is playing ACOL Weak NT, you have 12-14 points and balanced but 5 cards in one of the majors i.e. 5332 or 2533 something like that. when should you open the Major and when should you open 1NT
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-18, 06:20

I voted always open 1N, if the whole hand is in the major and I'm prepared to claim 6 of them, I might open the major on AKQJx, xxx, xxx, Qx but AKJ10x, Kxx, Jxx, xx is 1N.

#3 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-18, 06:24

I'm with Cyberyeti on this one.

On the other hand, I quite like weak 1NT with 4-card majors: the advantage there is that you always have either extra strength (e.g. 15+) or extra shape (5-4, or sometimes 4-4-4-1) to open a suit. It seems to me that playing 5-card majors loses a significant advantage of the weak NT.

#4 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-18, 06:30

View PostCamHenry, on 2013-June-18, 06:24, said:

I'm with Cyberyeti on this one.

On the other hand, I quite like weak 1NT with 4-card majors: the advantage there is that you always have either extra strength (e.g. 15+) or extra shape (5-4, or sometimes 4-4-4-1) to open a suit. It seems to me that playing 5-card majors loses a significant advantage of the weak NT.

sorry I Think my title might have been confusing, i'm not saying I play 5 card majors :lol:

I just mean when u play a weak nt and have a 5 card major as in 5332 12-14 range what should you bid

sorry if it was confusing :(
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-June-18, 06:31

There is just no right answer to this. As I wrote in the other recent thread, I have played many different styles, ranging from never opening 1NT with a 5 card major to always doing so with several shades of grey inbetween. It is simply a matter of style and agreement. If the question is for a generally popular approach then I would say that opening 1NT if the major is so poor that you do not want to rebid it is probably it (some older textbooks will talk about "rebiddable suits" here). That does not make it the best approach though.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-18, 06:33

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-June-18, 06:31, said:

There is just no right answer to this. As I wrote in the other recent thread, I have played many different styles, ranging from never opening 1NT with a 5 card major to always doing so with several shades of grey inbetween. It is simply a matter of style and agreement. If the question is for a generally popular approach then I would say that opening 1NT if the major is so poor that you do not want to rebid it is probably it (some older textbooks will talk about "rebiddable suits" here). That does not make it the best approach though.

I'm after best approach rather than most popular if possible :)

#7 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-June-18, 06:46

There is no best approach... Play what fits your style and be fine with it.

You may ask what the best players do. In this case. Play strong NT, most of them prefer it, so if something is superior it should be the strong NT.

I switch to weak NT with 5 card majors regulary in them two years ago and I still like it...

@CamHenry: I am a five card major player, so which significant disadvantage do I suffer? All my 1 of a suit openings are either unbalanced or strong, so I have the same advantage as you have in your system...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#8 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-18, 06:48

Stats from the Pavlicek site lead me to conclude that you should open 1NT with hearts always, but open 1 unless ashamed of the suit. Clicky. http://www.rpbridge.net/rpme.htm The edge from adopting this strategy appears to be very large indeed, and Acol is flexible enough to do so without creating too many rebid problems.

I've a few theories to account for the stats, but in a nutshell, if you suit is hearts, you want to make it difficult for them to find spades, but with spades, you have the boss suit for competing partscore. A secondary reason for opening 1NT with five hearts in Acol is that you are a bit stuck after 1-1, but that is not an issue after opening 1.

#9 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-18, 08:26

That's an interesting stat! And yes Phil I think your reasoning is correct.

Playing with my brother a few years back we used to open 1NT with all 5332 and play 5-card Stayman after 1NT, which worked OK but does have the disadvantage of giving away info. There seems to be a modern trend towards playing 3C Puppet Stayman after 1NT (2C regular Stayman), I guess because if you have GF values then you're likely to make the contract anyway so giving opps info isn't as bad.

These days my partner and I have agreed "open 1NT with A10xxx or less in the major" but of course it also depends on the rest of the hand (primes vs quacks, cards in long suits vs short suits, etc).

ahydra

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-June-18, 08:59

I always open 1N
But I do believe that it is a closer decision when playing a weak 1N opener than when playing a strong 1N opener. In the latter case you are rather more stuck for a rebid if you don't open 1N, whereas the possible "lies" that you have to make by opening 1M in a weak 1N system are less extreme.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#11 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-18, 08:59

View Postahydra, on 2013-June-18, 08:26, said:

There seems to be a modern trend towards playing 3C Puppet Stayman after 1NT (2C regular Stayman), I guess because if you have GF values then you're likely to make the contract anyway so giving opps info isn't as bad.

No, it's played partly because you'll often give away less information through puppet - e.g. 1N:3C, 3D:3H, 3N doesn't tell oppo whether opener has four hearts. I really dislike 1N:2C as five-card Stayman, there are a bunch of hands below GF values with interest in both majors that are difficult to handle without vanilla Stayman.

#12 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-18, 09:10

I'm not sure I'd put quite as much stock in RP's numbers on this subject, for a couple of reasons. The big one is that they don't actually take into account what the bids mean, and in some cases these 1NT openings may have very non-standard meansings and/or negative inferences. Also, since he's looking exclusively at very high level events, that may overstate the difference at the club and local tournament level, and also doesn't take into account declarer and defender skill. There also might be selection bias going on - like his Flannery results for instance strongly favor Flannery - but don't look at the universe of 1M hands where the flannery pair can't open flannery.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-June-18, 09:16

Which ones Mike? I will tell you what I do and you can tell me where the problem lies...

1NT - 2; 2 - 2NT = 44, INV
1NT - 2NT = 54, INV
1NT - 2; 2 - 2NT = 54, INV
1NT - 2; 2 - 3 = 55, INV
1NT - 2; 2 - 2 = INV+, not intersted in 4-4 heart fit
1NT - 2; 2 - 2 = INV+, 4, <4

You do lose Crawling Stayman of course but your post seems to be suggesting other issues.
(-: Zel :-)

#14 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-18, 10:26

I was referring to the garbage hands [H+S or D+H+S], but specifically those which are interested in game iff they find a fit. A 5-4-3-1 7-count opposite a 15-17 NT is the perfect example. These hands are more important than having ways to invite and stop in 2N/3M IMO.

#15 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-18, 11:12

This is in a Kaplan-Sheinwold-inspired rather than Acol context, but...

I agree with Phil above:

With hearts, 1N unless I'm willing to consider it a 6 card suit.

With spades, 1S unless I'm willing to consider it a 4 card suit.

One issue is competition in spades. A second issue is that we play 1H-1S-1N as showing 15-17, while the 1S bidder basically never has this problem.

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-June-18, 11:37

deleted

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#17 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2013-June-18, 11:52

Further considerations along with other things already mentioned:

5233 open 1
5332 Open 1NT
2533 Consider opening 1
3532 Open 1NT
Partner with a 5 card major will transfer. So when you open 1NT with 3 in the other major you find your 5-3 fit. Opening 1NT with 2 in the other major you may lose your 5-3 fit and instead find yourself in a 5-2 fit.

With 14 points and a decent 5 card suit consider uprating the hand to 15 and thus in acol style open 1M and rebid no trumps if partner responds in a suit.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#18 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-18, 12:42

I think it partly depends on how weak your 2/1 bid can be. If it is GF, you can definitely afford to open 1M and have the room to sort it out later (although you will need to agree in advance exactly how your are going to show this hand). If can be weaker, then it is not so easy, and I would be tempted to open 1NT unless my hand screamed otherwise.

#19 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-June-18, 13:12

When we open 1M we are always unbalanced, so with 5M332 we are forced to open 1C (15+) or 1NT (12-14) and for us opening 1Nt with a 5M is by far the weakest part of our system. Ive played this system for many years and even in a 10-14 or 11-14 NT when NV. In the long run we were loser here no doubt about it. Im a strong believer in weak NT and the only time I believe strong nt is equal or better than a weak NT is in 1st and 2nd seat VUL. When opponents play 1NT 15-17, I believe that they handling me gifts of tiny amount of imps each times they have a 12-14 bal NV or in 3rd and 4th seat.

However unless you have a good systemic reason you should always bid the 5M instead of opening 1NT. They are 3 main reasons for this.

1- 1NT--(overcall)--??? sometimes our fit get burried partner doest find the right lead or we dont compete enough.

2- 1NT all pass going down vs 2M making.

3- 1NT--(X) is the 3rd one. Even if you find a decent spot you will still be in a dangerous spot compared to those who open 1M.

The biggest advantage of the weak nt is that you avoid LHO making an 1-level overcall however the higher you open the lower the risk of an enemy overcall. So opening 1NT with 5S doesnt give you anything, so you should only do this because of systemic rebid problem.

IMO another small drawback is that

1H-1S-1NT as 15-17 is a fairly rare hand for a premium bidding space.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#20 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-18, 16:46

I think this is the wrong forum to discuss the many factors behind the Pavlicek stats, but I firmly believe that Acol, despite it's many other flaws is best able to allow flexibilty (and effectiveness) in this regard. For and those with the time, you can view the most recnt 100 occasions where one side opened 1/ and the other 1NT and see what is actually happening.

It may be a deep reach, since virtually none of the hands involve Acol pairs, but whatever! To be continued.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users