Jxx
Qx
KTxxx
Kxx

KQTxx
AKxx
Jxx
A

Sorry for the lack of spots or auction. This hand was given to me as just a play problem.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-January-22, 14:27

win the Ace of clubs, heart to Queen, K clubs chucking a diamond, heart to the Ace, heart ruff, low spade
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-22, 14:32

eagles123, on 2014-January-22, 14:27, said:

win the Ace of clubs, heart to Queen, K clubs chucking a diamond, heart to the Ace, heart ruff, low spade

Your K holds, the second one is won, they take a heart ruff and a diamond comes through.

Not sure if you can deal with everything, but (depending on the small spade pips) you may be better cashing AKQ and ruffing the 4th, high if LHO follows.

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-January-22, 14:46

Another idea:

If you win and play two top spades, you present the opponents with a Hobson's Choice.

If the person with the Ace wins and lead back another spade, you can set up diamonds before they kill your heart entry.

If the person with the Ace wins and leads back a heart, you can now ruff out the losing heart with no fear.

I like this line because it makes the opponent's head hurt.

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-January-22, 14:58

kenrexford, on 2014-January-22, 14:46, said:

Another idea:

If you win and play two top spades, you present the opponents with a Hobson's Choice.

If the person with the Ace wins and lead back another spade, you can set up diamonds before they kill your heart entry.

If the person with the Ace wins and leads back a heart, you can now ruff out the losing heart with no fear.

I like this line because it makes the opponent's head hurt.

This is not good if LHO wins and leads a diamond.

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-January-22, 15:05

Cyberyeti, on 2014-January-22, 14:58, said:

This is not good if LHO wins and leads a diamond.

Why not? I am prepared to lose the diamond finesse. Granted, there is a possibility of diamond-diamond-ruff, but I can't stop that.

In fact, on a club switch, I can win in Dummy and then lead a low diamond toward the Jack, still making. Just lose two diamonds and a trump.

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-January-22, 15:49

kenrexford, on 2014-January-22, 15:05, said:

Why not? I am prepared to lose the diamond finesse. Granted, there is a possibility of diamond-diamond-ruff, but I can't stop that.

In fact, on a club switch, I can win in Dummy and then lead a low diamond toward the Jack, still making. Just lose two diamonds and a trump.

Well you sort of can by pitching a diamond on K, I can't make up my mind what is best.

#8 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-22, 19:13

You need 10 tricks and have them -- without a heart ruff.

You can't guard against everything. Some things you have no hope of guarding against if they play correctly, so they can be ignored.

I would probably take the simple line of trying to protect against spades 4-1 and assume that I can guess the diamonds (if it comes to that, and if they are guessable). My play is K, low to the J. This technique has the advantage of starting early and not allowing any additional signaling.

If someone cares to explain the mathematics behind all the relevant lines of play to determine which one is probabilistically best, I'm all ears.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users