3H

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-07, 08:36

MP, best hand south, instant, advanced gib v 30

So, what about the 3H bid?

Presumably I am supposed to bid 3N over 3H
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-07, 21:51

Poor GIB, looks like it's stuck for a rebid. A basic GIB would've probably passed you out.
Interesting to see faking a 3 card raise rates better in simulations than treating xxxx as a stopper, which is what I suspect most humans would do.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-June-07, 23:02

I also wonder whether it should bid 4H rather than 4S (4D Last Train may be viable except that I don't think Gib plays that.)

But if my 4C bid was wrong it knocks a dent in criticism of 4S.

4C was only meant to be courtesy slam try. It is below game. I just felt a tad too strong for 4H. But I have since tried constructing hands where slam is good, and changed my mind. 3N or 4H by me over 3H are both better choices.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#4 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-08, 02:20

I'm not imaginative enough to raise suits on Hx so to me your bidding looks blameless. Singleton in GIB's suit rightfully kept you from jump-shifting and I'm not sure what 3NT should mean but opener shouldn't have to cater to responder inventing a third heart.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-June-08, 03:57

With most humans, 3N would be either serious or non-serious according to agreement, but either way forcing to 4H.

If 3N is contract suggestion, then that is what I should have bid.

If 3N is non-serious, then 3N or 4H is what I should have bid.

If 3N is serious, then 4C or 4H is what I should have bid.

I don't think that GIB plays either serious or non-serious, so I guess 3N is a contract suggestion and then clearly the right choice (even if 3H absolutely has 3 card support, 3N may well be the right spot).

GIB almost never passes a 3N contract suggestion when there is half a hint of a major suit fit, but here perhaps is the exception.

#6 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-08, 04:59

View PostAntrax, on 2014-June-07, 21:51, said:

Poor GIB, looks like it's stuck for a rebid. A basic GIB would've probably passed you out.
Interesting to see faking a 3 card raise rates better in simulations than treating xxxx as a stopper, which is what I suspect most humans would do.

It can bid 2NT over 2C- 10-11HCP not forcing.

#7 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-08, 06:03

That's what I meant, except 2NT should ideally require a diamond stop, otherwise with most hands you can FSF, give a preference, raise the second suit or rebid your own.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-June-08, 06:25

GIB plays FSF as FSGF, I think. Not my preference but I know that it is the more popular treatment by experts so I can't complain about that. On this hand it might have been useful as non-GF

#9 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2014-June-17, 05:43

Over

1X - 1Y
2X - 2NT comes more freely for GIB and not asks for stoppers at all.

But over

1X - 1Y
2Z - 2NT asks for Qxx/Jxxx or better stopper in 4th unbid suit.

Not the best rebid 3 obviously, but as per current design GIB picks it. 2 and 2 are also among sim candiates. 2NT is not.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users