BBO Discussion Forums: prices of Ebooks by Dan neill - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

prices of Ebooks by Dan neill

Poll: prices of Ebooks by Dan neill (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Are the prices too high for you ?

1. I might have bought if it was cheaper (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. I would not have bought them anyway (4 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

3. I bought it (5 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   WGF_Flame 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-March-30, 02:29

Hello,

As I'm sure almost anyone here knows, dan has a great site (bridgewithdan.com) , for years it offered free system matterial, it still does but begining i think about 2 years ago, dan focus more on adding writeups that aren't free.
This is normal, however atleast for me, those prices are way too high.
I know from what dan wrote on this forum that atleast for some of the books there isn't that many buyers.
I wonder if lowering the prices would make more people buy it.

Hope this isn't offending or something like that.(if so please remove)

#2 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2015-March-30, 09:02

View PostWGF_Flame, on 2015-March-30, 02:29, said:

yes, lowering prices would make more people buy it

however the total revenue (price of book times number of people buying) would go down, as there is not a lot of demand for bridge books in general (the number of copies of a bridge bestseller is pathetic), and for systems stuff really bad

At the moment Dan loses money on his website, since it's free to use and he has to pay money for hosting etc.

For his books, if you consider the number of hours it takes to write them, he is making far less than $1 per hour of work. Given this, he is actually mostly donating his effort to us. To have him donate even more effort, by taking even less revenue, would seem to be asking too much.

When I buy his books, which I do, it is to support him, both for the books themselves and his website, and to encourage him to keep donating to bridge.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#3 User is offline   WGF_Flame 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-30, 11:07

I totally agree with almost everything you said glen.
The one thing that I am not totally sure about it the your claim that the total revenue would go down, which is the reasson I started this thread.

#4 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2015-March-30, 11:57

View PostWGF_Flame, on 2015-March-30, 02:29, said:

Hello,

As I'm sure almost anyone here knows, dan has a great site (bridgewithdan.com) , for years it offered free system matterial, it still does but begining i think about 2 years ago, dan focus more on adding writeups that aren't free.
This is normal, however atleast for me, those prices are way too high.
I know from what dan wrote on this forum that atleast for some of the books there isn't that many buyers.

Hope this isn't offending or something like that.(if so please remove)

Hi,
This is Dan (of the website) and I agree that the price can seem high (I am sort of young, like to save money too). Thanks for your input - I know from other bridgefile sites some authors have charged higher prices, and I don't know how well those sold, but some authors' e-books are also cheaper, available from Masterpoint Press or through Amazon I think. The decision to switch to pay (for some documents) was entirely due to the good book that Bill Jacobs made from my free notes I compiled over a few years and many hours. I figured I might recoup a sliver of the opportunity cost of the countless hours I've put into the site by charging as well. I think the Meck Lite docs are well-written and helpful to learn precision with, and the Polish e-book is very cheap and nicely-written (I just translated). However the L-V, B-D, and W-A systems are less instructional discussions than simply an orderly presentation of the whole system with a little discussion and some real example hands to help (much like some champions have done in publishing their own systems in the past [B-D, L-B and many lesser known pairs]). But we are talking about a glimpse under the hood of world champion systems that anyone can now access and use to improve their bridge results (and at the least have a lot of fun with). I even have reverse-engineered the full Meckwell notes but have decided not to publish them because I am honoring the request of a close friend of theirs, now deceased. But I am not bitter nor have wasted my time - my bridge life has been enriched and my students have benefited from all this knowledge as well. I take pleasure in all of this.

So no matter how you decide, WGF, I am just glad you are interested and maybe one day the prices will change :-) If you would like to purchase several of them at once I'm sure we can work out a deal too on the side.

Thanks,
Dan

#5 User is online   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2015-April-02, 19:40

Being a System Nut, I have purchased all of Dan's offerings except for Polish Club.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#6 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-24, 17:40

View PostPrecisionL, on 2015-April-02, 19:40, said:

Being a System Nut, I have purchased all of Dan's offerings except for Polish Club.

The price for the new Standard Modern Precision book at my site (published my Masterpoint Press) is very good, given it's like the old PDF's with lots of new real deal examples and extra quizzes and new material. If you are a systems geek, have the old PDF's, and can play the system well already, there's no need to get the new book. If you are new to Meck Lite or still need more examples and quizzes, or want a more complete system to play with what you already know, it's worth it.

#7 User is offline   SteelWheel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-30, 18:19

View PostDJNeill, on 2017-September-24, 17:40, said:

The price for the new Standard Modern Precision book at my site (published my Masterpoint Press) is very good, given it's like the old PDF's with lots of new real deal examples and extra quizzes and new material. If you are a systems geek, have the old PDF's, and can play the system well already, there's no need to get the new book. If you are new to Meck Lite or still need more examples and quizzes, or want a more complete system to play with what you already know, it's worth it.

Hey Dan. What forum would you like us to use to post opinions or ask followup questions about SMP? This thread, a new topic on this thread, or the Non-Natural System board? Thanks.

#8 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-01, 15:56

View PostSteelWheel, on 2017-September-30, 18:19, said:

Hey Dan. What forum would you like us to use to post opinions or ask followup questions about SMP? This thread, a new topic on this thread, or the Non-Natural System board? Thanks.

Non-natural system discussion board would work.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users