Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Be Right Back

#1 User is offline   nomat 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-December-19, 20:34

I just found out that there is a brb button, hidden on the who's on line tab. I have no idea yet what it does. It would be nice to have it on the main page, perhaps on the line with Table, NS CC, EW CC, Redeal, etc.

What does it do, how does it work? If someone uses it how long do they get. Some education would be nice. :)

#2 User is offline   nomat 

• Pip

Posted 2015-December-19, 20:59

Found out the only thing it seems to do is gray out your name. No notification in the chat box. Doubt if people know what the gray out means.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-December-20, 00:34

View Postnomat, on 2015-December-19, 20:59, said:

Found out the only thing it seems to do is gray out your name. No notification in the chat box. Doubt if people know what the gray out means.

It also sends an instant automated response back to anyone who tries to send a message to one who is in brb mode, notifying of that status.

My experience is that it is pretty well known about, if perhaps underused. I agree that the button should be more prominent.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   nomat 

• Pip

Posted 2015-December-29, 17:53

Getting people to use the BRB would aid the civility of the site. People would know the person is coming back and may not abandon the table. People would not yell at people (the BBO ghosts)to act. The hosts would know better when to boot someone no longer there. How annoying it is to sit there waiting and waiting and the table is about to autoboot the person and then, they suddenly appear. If they are going to be gone for a minute, maybe I would like to also.

Please make it easier to use and more apparent to the other players.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-29, 20:45

I agree with your suggestion. But doing anything at all where one effect is to add clutter to the main screen encounters huge resistence.

In your example, it is common for those unfamiliar with the button to type 'brb' to the table if they have to answer the phone, door or whatever. If they can't be bothered to do that then I suspect that making the button more visible will help very little.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-December-30, 15:14

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-December-29, 20:45, said:

In your example, it is common for those unfamiliar with the button to type 'brb' to the table if they have to answer the phone, door or whatever. If they can't be bothered to do that then I suspect that making the button more visible will help very little.
If the brb button also displayed "Be right back" in the chat log, then it would save the bother of typing "brb". It could even act as a switch, so that pressing it again (or any other action), would display a "back" message.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users