• You cannot reply to this topic

Facing a preempt

#1 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-January-10, 13:44

Teams, rather serious opponents with sound bidding

Can you reach 7?

My partner chose to pass as N, then raise my 3 balance to 4... with trumps breaking 5-2, it wasn't a success...

Is a 4 overcall reasonable with her hand (6-4, good suits, but red and a little light in HCPs given the stiff K)?

Should I balance w/ something else (4 seems a bit extreme, 3NT ok for the stopper but where are my tricks coming from, X and gulp over bid by partner)?

FWIW, in the otehr room S made a TOX and after his partner jumped to 5, for reasons only known to himself, passed. Luckily, 740 is on the "good" side of the IMP limit :lol: ...but we nevertheless ended up winning 88-45 :)

I guess 4 over 3 should be forcing, and 4NT over that to play, so we cue 4, 4, and now 4NT and "en route !".

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-January-10, 15:47

I think 4 is reasonable as North, even at this vulnerability. That singleton K is more likely an asset than a liability, especially as one opponent has pre-empted suggesting lack of offence in the other suits. Still, I agree it is not without its dangers and is a 'shot in the dark'.

If the major suits were swapped and North had a singleton K, then I wouldn't bid 4.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-January-10, 19:48

I agree with passing 3H, although it’s close

I also agree with balancing with 3S since a 4C advance of a double leaves you in an impossible position

4S is very bad, imo. 4D seems clear. Is it forcing? No. But it is constructive. S has a huge hand. Already uncomfortably strong, in hcp, for 3S, he has an easy 4H

North is faced with a tough call. He is max for his actions so far, and that spade K has grown up. Since 4H was a ‘strong raise to 5D’, he can hardly meekly sign off in game.

If 4H can be understood as 1st round control, then north should jump to 6D. South will be wanting to bid 7, but I think that’s too much to ask. I’d be happy reaching 6D after the 3H opening.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-January-10, 22:05

apollo120 asks 'Teams, rather serious opponents with sound bidding. Can you reach 7? My partner chose to pass as N, then raise my 3 balance to 4... with trumps breaking 5-2, it wasn't a success... Is a 4 overcall reasonable with her hand (6-4, good suits, but red and a little light in HCPs given the stiff K)? Should I balance w/ something else (4 seems a bit extreme, 3NT ok for the stopper but where are my tricks coming from, X and gulp over nid by partner)? FWIW, in the otehr room S made a TOX and after his partner jumped to 5, for reasons only known to himself, passed. Luckily, 740 is on the "good" side of the IMP limit :lol: ...but we nevertheless ended up winning 88-45 :) I guess 4 over 3 should be forcing, and 4NT over that to play, so we cue 4, 4, and now 4NT and "en route !".
++++++++++++++++
South might have protected with 4 Non-leaping Michaels, when the Grand might well be reached. 4 seems a slight over-bid, however. Hence, IMO, MikeH nailed it.

#5 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-11, 02:26

View Postnige1, on 2020-January-10, 22:05, said:

South might have protected with 4 Non-leaping Michaels, when the Grand might well be reached. 4 seems a slight over-bid, however. Hence, IMO, MikeH nailed it.

I am yet to be convinced by Non-leaping Michaels. It would certainly prevent North bidding 4D in this auction, which might be a good bid here and would certainly be the right bid if you strengthen the North hand slightly.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users