BBO Discussion Forums: Automatic Tournament Cancellation By BBO - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Automatic Tournament Cancellation By BBO

#1 User is offline   azi 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-08, 00:31

Hello,

For the past 2 days our tournament was cancelled by BBO
at the starting time giving an error of too many players ?!?

Please note the the tournament was set with a maximum of 30
and at the starting time there were much less players registered
for the tourney.

Appreciate your help.

#2 User is offline   snef 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-08, 01:14

We had the same issue yesterday.

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-08, 05:02

BBO were not permitting free tournaments to start between 10am and 6pm EDT. Is this the problem?
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   snef 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-08, 07:19

View Postpaulg, on 2020-April-08, 05:02, said:

BBO were not permitting free tournaments to start between 10am and 6pm EDT. Is this the problem?

Yeah, it was started between 10am and 6pm EDT.
Someone knows where can I find the restrictions on free tournaments?

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-08, 07:25

View Postsnef, on 2020-April-08, 07:19, said:

Yeah, it was started between 10am and 6pm EDT.
Someone knows where can I find the restrictions on free tournaments?

That is a good question. It was on BBO News but has slipped off, so I don't know where it is now. If barmar reads this he may be able to help.

But the restriction was no free tournaments between 10am and 6pm EDT and outside this time would be limited to 20 tables (40 pairs, 80 individuals).
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-April-08, 20:44

I've seen 46K players around 2pmEDT - but 11k around 10pmEDT.
Why not go back to original 800 limit when players <20k?

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-April-08, 21:39

The change to the server to change limits at different times of days is going in tonight.

#8 User is offline   azi 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-09, 07:45

Is there only a time limit or limited number of tourneys ?

#9 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-09, 12:03

We could avoid some trouble when we would know when we can setup which size of tourney.

We moved already a lot of our tourneys to the morning and afternoon to reduce the load.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-April-10, 09:09

This was announced yesterday in News:

https://blog.bridgeb...b=web&v3v=5.4.0

Free tournaments are cancelled between 1pm and 5pm Eastern time.

#11 User is offline   snef 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-11, 04:40

View Postbarmar, on 2020-April-10, 09:09, said:

This was announced yesterday in News:

https://blog.bridgeb...b=web&v3v=5.4.0

Free tournaments are cancelled between 1pm and 5pm Eastern time.

Is there still a limit of 40 tables (if we organise it outside 1pm-5pm)?
I noticed when starting a tourney we can again change the maximum number above 40, but if I look at the running tournaments all seem to have lower than 40 tables.
I don't want to risk a canceled tourney, but don't want to turn down pairs.
I find it difficult to know what is allowed and what not.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-April-11, 15:22

I just checked the configuration file, and the limit for free tourneys is set to 40 tables.

#13 User is offline   novice02 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-12, 05:58

I wonder whether it sounds mindful to post such important information where those who need to know learn about it immediately. I know, my request sounds weird. But it might avoid the bad reputation that BBO is currently getting for handling the situation. Seriously!

#14 User is offline   criptik 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-15, 02:10

Also if a free tournament starts before 1pm EDT but finishes after 1pm EDT, is that allowed?

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-April-15, 19:17

View Postcriptik, on 2020-April-15, 02:10, said:

Also if a free tournament starts before 1pm EDT but finishes after 1pm EDT, is that allowed?

Yes, we only check at start time.

#16 User is offline   willemm 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-17, 12:54

So, how long is this going to last? Is the problem with server capacity? How difficult can it be to increase the server capacity in the age of cloud computing? Surely, money can't really be the issue as cloud based servers are dead cheap, and easy to set up, and also all those extra people online must bring in some extra revenue. Sounds like a serious architecture flaw to me, if a tripling of the number of users causes so many problems.

Would it be possible to have to separate servers, if the server configuration makes it tricky to increase capacity?

#17 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-April-18, 10:56

We've run up against some hard capacity limits for the current design.

We're actually working on a solution to split the system into multiple servers -- one for main bridge club and another for tournaments. But there are a number of issues that will have to be worked out to make this work, so it's going to take at least a week to get it working.

#18 User is offline   Sir John D 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-April-22, 08:53

View Postbarmar, on 2020-April-18, 10:56, said:

We've run up against some hard capacity limits for the current design.

We're actually working on a solution to split the system into multiple servers -- one for main bridge club and another for tournaments. But there are a number of issues that will have to be worked out to make this work, so it's going to take at least a week to get it working.

A friend went on to the BBO web site today and noticed that during the afternoon (UK time), there were just under 46 thousand players online and about 100 free tournaments set up to start by 5.45pm (BST). Yesterday, there were similar number of players but in the evening (UK time), there were not many free tournaments. So, it would seem that there is capacity to cope with a huge number of players AND tournaments. This is great news.

So, when will BBO be lifting their ban on UK free tournaments that start between 1pm to 5pm (EST) (6pm to 10pm British Summer Time)?

I am sure that BBO Management will appreciate that not everyone wants to play in the English Bridge Union tournaments that have been introduced since March 2020 and although they are available at 7.30pm (BST) and 9.00pm (BST), many BBO players would prefer to give their allegiance to the tournaments that have been in existence for many, many years.

It is good to see so many free tournaments still being allowed but now we know that the capacity exists to cope with the volume, UK players look forward to supporting the long established bridge tournaments, again.

A big thank you to all those that give their time for free in these strange times and to all those on the the uncertain front line.

To all, keep safe

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-April-22, 09:25

View PostSir John D, on 2020-April-22, 08:53, said:

So, when will BBO be lifting their ban on UK free tournaments that start between 1pm to 5pm (EST) (6pm to 10pm British Summer Time)?

Probably not until we split the service in two: one server for Main/Casual Bridge Club, another server for everything else. This is going to take some time. We already know how to run separate BBO services, but they don't have access to the BB$ accounts, which are needed to be able to rent robots. We need to solve this problem.

There's a hard limit on the total of users + robots + tables. And when a tourney starts, all the tables that are needed add to that total. We've been hitting that limit during prime time, preventing more users from logging in.

#20 User is offline   adamw 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-April-22, 15:00

View Postbarmar, on 2020-April-22, 09:25, said:

Probably not until we split the service in two: one server for Main/Casual Bridge Club, another server for everything else. This is going to take some time. We already know how to run separate BBO services, but they don't have access to the BB$ accounts, which are needed to be able to rent robots. We need to solve this problem.

There's a hard limit on the total of users + robots + tables. And when a tourney starts, all the tables that are needed add to that total. We've been hitting that limit during prime time, preventing more users from logging in.

Thanks for the info!

It sounds as though BBO is running its own servers. If that's the case have you considered moving to a cloud computing model? It offers a number of advantages, especially with scaling, and relatively few drawbacks. But you would need software changes regardless, so I know it won't happen overnight.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users