BBO Discussion Forums: Extraordinary card play by the robots - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Extraordinary card play by the robots 10 IMP's

#21 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-23, 03:07

View PostDavidKok, on 2020-September-23, 02:43, said:

Well, West could simply not fathom that you opened 1NT with this shape. I'm not sure I would blame them all that much, actually. I do confess I don't see the benefit of leading the T over the 5, or why East is ducking. Also East should have somehow informed West of their amazing heart holding (which should be impossible based on the play to trick 1?), so West can freely pitch hearts and come down to T864 A in the 5-card ending. Then you can throw West in (spade ace, king, club) for 'only' 12 tricks, or more reasonably just take your top 11 tricks.

I know right! - I open on my HCP - it seems to pay dividends - although I get a few weird hands. I've started to draw the line at hands with voids.

#22 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-26, 00:05

In a death-defying display of defensive devilry, the East robot cunningly and contemptuously ignores convention and gives me a convincing lesson in card-play.
Watch the trapeze act in in the end. I advise sun-block.

This is from a matchpoints Tournament - not a minefield I really like to enter, so I tried bidding "normally".
Here's the hand.
J led

#23 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-02, 03:45

In an astonishing and action-packed array of artistry, the androids avoid annoying me again.
The ending is a real joy to watch.
Don't try this without medical supervision.

#24 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-02, 04:13

I'd find it hard to match South's astonishing cardplay.

#25 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-02, 04:27

View Postshyams, on 2020-October-02, 04:13, said:

I'd find it hard to match South's astonishing cardplay.

Yup, robots not much worse than declarer.

What should OP have done ?

You start with 4 spades one heart, one diamond and 2 clubs providing you can get to dummy to take the diamond.

So, win the spade in hand, cash a club and lead a diamond while you still have a spade entry to dummy, as it happens with Q dropping and W unlikely to fly A, you can now run the 9 and make 10 tricks trivially.

The rule of restricted choice says that once the A has fetched the Q, since he might equally have played the J from QJ the queen is more likely to be single than from QJ.

#26 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-October-02, 06:51

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-October-02, 03:45, said:

In an astonishing and action-packed array of artistry, the androids avoid annoying me again.
The ending is a real joy to watch.
Don't try this without medical supervision.

It looked initially as if you were going for the double finesse in clubs, but when you got to dummy a second time you tried to drop the jack. Surely it is better odds to play for split honors based on the principle of restricted choice and play to the ten?

Once you used your spade jack at trick one, the only clean entry to dummy, the robot could theoretically have gone up with the diamond ace and cut you off from dummy and the diamond winners. You are then probably going down.

#27 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-October-02, 09:03

View PostAL78, on 2020-October-02, 06:51, said:

It looked initially as if you were going for the double finesse in clubs, but when you got to dummy a second time you tried to drop the jack. Surely it is better odds to play for split honors based on the principle of restricted choice and play to the ten?

Once you used your spade jack at trick one, the only clean entry to dummy, the robot could theoretically have gone up with the diamond ace and cut you off from dummy and the diamond winners. You are then probably going down.

Yes but the robot thinks you have a 2N opener so thinks you have 2 diamonds

#28 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-02, 14:18

You are all absolutely right - I'm totally ashamed of myself. This one was particularly egregious on both sides.

#29 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-02, 14:30

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-October-02, 09:03, said:

Yes but the robot thinks you have a 2N opener so thinks you have 2 diamonds

Hence why I said theoretically. I'd be surprised if any robot or human would put their ace on thin air when it is right because declarer has an off-shape 2NT opening.

#30 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-24, 22:38

AND NOW. just when you think you've seen everything I avoid death in a defensive debacle that defies description.

Here it is.
East opens a sensible 1 I optimistically upgrade my meagre 14HCP 4333 to GKW and bid 1NT. West wisely doubles for penalties.

There's an angel on my shoulder, or as they say in East Germany ein Jahresenedenfigurenmitflugeln: religious symbolism being illegal before the fall of the Berlin wall.

#31 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-13, 00:33

Recently, I was told NOT to return my opponents lead because they might be trying to set up a suit.
Thank you robots... for 100%

#32 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-November-13, 03:07

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-November-13, 00:33, said:

Recently, I was told NOT to return my opponents lead because they might be trying to set up a suit.
Thank you robots... for 100%

Again they probably assumed you had your bid, rather than opening a 15-17 NT on 13

#33 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-13, 05:13

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-November-13, 03:07, said:

Again they probably assumed you had your bid, rather than opening a 15-17 NT on 13

He had 14 HCP, but this all reminds me of one or two notorious pairs at my bridge club who are very difficult to defend against, because they bid so wildly, it is almost like playing against a pair that psyches every third bid (or playing against beginners who have only learned a fraction of the system and are guessing the rest). Occasionally it all goes in their favour and they come top.

#34 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-November-13, 08:16

View PostAL78, on 2020-November-13, 05:13, said:

He had 14 HCP, but this all reminds me of one or two notorious pairs at my bridge club who are very difficult to defend against, because they bid so wildly, it is almost like playing against a pair that psyches every third bid (or playing against beginners who have only learned a fraction of the system and are guessing the rest). Occasionally it all goes in their favour and they come top.

AQ KJ K looks like 13 to me, but yes (as somebody in my much younger days who did psyche a lot with usually good results) it can cause massive problems for the defence.

#35 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-13, 10:56

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-November-13, 08:16, said:

AQ KJ K looks like 13 to me, but yes (as somebody in my much younger days who did psyche a lot with usually good results) it can cause massive problems for the defence.

Sorry you are right, I was looking at the deal where he stated he upgraded his 14 count (AAKQJ) which was the previous link. If you are playing a strong NT I don't understand what is wrong with opening 1. NS might get to play in 2 or East might venture a TOX, and EW play in 2 or try for +200 by defending 2X. It will likely go down with the unfavourable lie of the cards.

#36 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-14, 19:07

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-September-11, 04:04, said:

Watch the ingenious card play by East at the end.
This is why you pay extra for robots in ACBL tournaments.

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-September-11, 04:21, said:

I'm trying to see what E visualisd and I can't see anything that makes any sense.

If West has T and J left, it's the right play.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#37 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2020-November-14, 19:20

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-October-24, 22:38, said:

AND NOW. just when you think you've seen everything I avoid death in a defensive debacle that defies description.

Here it is.
East opens a sensible 1 I optimistically upgrade my meagre 14HCP 4333 to GKW and bid 1NT. West wisely doubles for penalties.

There's an angel on my shoulder, or as they say in East Germany ein Jahresenedenfigurenmitflugeln: religious symbolism being illegal before the fall of the Berlin wall.

When you lead the J, it was likely you had the A.
Later, as far as West was concerned, you were "known" to have Q hence West's plays did not make a difference.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#38 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2020-November-14, 19:30

The key to understanding GIB is that it's play is extremely logical; it's just completely unable to draw any inferences from your play, assume you will be play double-dummy, it essentially can't signal, and it will rigidly stick to its assumptions about your hand from the bidding. Just think of GIB as kind of, uhm, robotic...

Once you realise that, you'll find more ways to exploit that. E.g. often when you can pick up a suit on a guess, GIB will just discards enough cards in the suit to remove the guess for you. Other times you can make GIB give you the guess because why shouldn't it.

Simple example - I had a trump suit of AK8xx in hand opposite QTx in dummy, with length more likely (but not certain) on my right but no dummy entry. Lead in dummy. What to do? Lead the T because RHO has no reason not to cover from J9xx - and indeed he did.

#39 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-14, 22:49

I think the North robot might have just shown me how to make a pseudo- squeeze in order to garner an extra trick.
My link

#40 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-November-21, 00:46

Some people wonder why it's hard to win in the matchpoint daylongs. Here's what happened to me and 27 other suckers and losers for 57.58%.
And here's what someone who believes in the power of prayer, luck, hope, faith, sunlight and bleach did for 100%.
I mean, I mean, I mean...

Kummer und schand. Kummer und schand.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users