BBO Discussion Forums: Trouble with Bridge Movies in BBO Store - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trouble with Bridge Movies in BBO Store Unable to Run Bridge Movies Because No More Adobe Flash

#1 User is offline   LarryM 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-April-23, 20:31

My question has to do with running BBO movies.

In particular, when I go to the BBO store at https://www.bridgebase.com/store/, I have trouble viewing any of the material because Adobe Flash has been discontinued.

Even more troubling for me - sometimes I teach bridge, and I have my own movies in the BBO store that I am now unable to show to my students.

If anyone could give me some advice that would enable me to run these movies again, I would appreciate it.

Larry

#2 User is offline   squeezergb 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-April-24, 06:15

What would be really useful is if BBO could give authors access to their 'source code'. If any moderators are reading this could this be possible please? I know I would like to be able to get at mine.

#3 User is offline   dave_beer 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-April-25, 09:04

There are some Flash replacements available that may solve your problem. I don't know if any of them will solve your problem because I don't know how the movies are saved on BBO.

#4 User is offline   PaliBacsi 

• Pip

Posted 2021-April-25, 20:18

I have asked similar question from BBO support in February. Still waiting for a reply! I have about 40 teaching private/unpublished movies.
I know that, on an old computer with old IE you may access/play/edit your movies, but I don't consider it as a solution. User support? Very questionable.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-April-25, 20:52

The bridge movie application is written in Flash, which is gone. Unlike the main BBO application, rewriting it was not a priority, and it's not on the roadmap.

#6 User is offline   LarryM 

• Pip

Posted 2021-April-26, 16:46

Hi, Barmar - thanks for your thoughtful reply. Yes, I can understand that supporting content on the BBO website that requires Flash is not a priority for BBO. But perhaps as a kindness to the authors that relied on the BBO website to develop content, perhaps BBO could at least provide a method to copy their own content to their own computers, so that the authors could access their own content on their own computers using a program that does what Flash used to do. Kind regards. LarryM

#7 User is offline   squeezergb 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-April-28, 05:32

I suspect giving authors access to the code of their movies would involve some effort on the part of BBO. However as they are just text files and if they still exist on BBO's servers perhaps they could be emailed to the authors on request?

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-April-30, 09:18

View PostLarryM, on 2021-April-26, 16:46, said:

so that the authors could access their own content on their own computers using a program that does what Flash used to do. Kind regards. LarryM

What program is that?

#9 User is offline   LarryM 

• Pip

Posted 2021-May-02, 19:47

Hi, Barmar. This is all new territory for me, so I'm not really sure, but Google says that two replacement programs for Adobe Flash are Ruffle and Flashpoint - ref https://www.youtube....h?v=VIUmFwIxJrY

I hope you will be able to help me with this.

Best wishes.

LarryM

#10 User is offline   squeezergb 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-May-05, 13:48

It is not a case of replacing Flash. It requires a whole new program. I believe that a Scandinavian developer has produced such a program. Is it possible to let the authors have those text files?

#11 User is offline   deezze 

• Pip

Posted 2022-February-10, 09:34

see that Adobe Flash Player no longer works to play the BBO store submission movies I have made - any idea how I get them to play?? Any chance someone from the money-making machine that is BBO will try and sort this out?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users