BBO Discussion Forums: 2/1 response and continuation - does is it forcing? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2/1 response and continuation - does is it forcing? A sequence from SAYC-like bdiding.

#1 User is offline   Tim Ocean 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-October-19, 07:55

The official ACBL's booklet on SAYC says:

NOTE: Responder promises to bid again if he responded with a new suit at the two
level unless opener’s rebid is at the game level. This applies when responder is an
unpassed hand.
1 — 2
2 = forcing one round. Responder can limit his hand by bidding 2, 2NT,
3, or 3 at this point. He should not pass, since opener could have 18
points (just short of a jump shift rebid)

The same writes Julian Pottage in his book on Standard American.

I have always had a problem with this agreement. I understand that bidding such as
1 - 2
2 - ?
should be forcing, because opener can have even 18 HCP. But what about rebid in his suit without jump such as
1 - 2
2 - ?
Is there a point in agreement that it is forcing?

I assume everywhere that 2/1 is SAYC-like, i.e. it is invitational+ (not GF).

#2 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-October-19, 08:11

Yes, very much so. If 1-2; 2 is NF this means opener will have to jump with even slight extras (approximately a 15-count facing the promised 10-count). This consumes a lot of bidding space while both level and strain are unclear. It is much more economical to give up on getting to 2M with a direct bid, and reserve that for a larger class of hands including those that may wish to investigate the degree of fit before committing to a choice of game or a slam investigation. The main cost is that you may sometimes have to play 3M when 2M was better, but this is both uncommon and might not be costly when it does happen.

#3 User is offline   Tim Ocean 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-October-19, 08:26

View PostDavidKok, on 2023-October-19, 08:11, said:

Yes, very much so. If 1-2; 2 is NF this means opener will have to jump with even slight extras (approximately a 15-count facing the promised 10-count). This consumes a lot of bidding

Ok, I see some sense in that.

The main cost is that you may sometimes have to play 3M when 2M was better

That's exactly what I have a problem with.

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-October-19, 09:06

Hi,

a question to ask yourself, what do you open 1NT or 1H / 1S with 5332.

In case you open the major, you have to ask yourself, what to do with those hands,
a 2NT rebid would show a weak NT.
If 2M cannot be passed, you can use the rebid as a waiting bid.

If 2M can be passed, you need to find an alternative.

As it is, playing 2M as NF is a playable style, it is similar to an Acol system.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-October-19, 09:38

View PostDavidKok, on 2023-October-19, 08:11, said:

The main cost is that you may sometimes have to play 3M when 2M was better

View PostTim Ocean, on 2023-October-19, 08:26, said:

That's exactly what I have a problem with.

• With 12 (this is the late '70s, remember, we don't open "random 11s" yet) opposite a decent 10, we should be comfortable at the 3 level, especially with a 6-2 or 6-3 fit. If you aren't comfortable in 2NT+, then you don't have an invitational hand, and shouldn't bid 2/1.
  • If you have the fit, you can't expect (especially now, but even then) to be allowed to play 2M with 22-23 HCP. The opponents will compete, and will do better than -110 more often than not. Larry Cohen's quote (from some random vuGraph): "I'd rather be -1100 than -110". Yes, sometimes you can get them for +200 or +300 (or +1100), but it's hard, especially when you can expect your points in your trump suit will lead to fewer tricks than "expected". So you'll be in 3M more often than not anyway.
  • 1-2; 2-2; p still exists. You're not in a fit, but you still have 22-ish points.
  • And there is all the benefits of being able to have 1-2; 2-3; 4 "partner, I have potential slam opposite your no extras, cuebid". Not as nice as that auction in 2/1 GF (because now responder can also have extras, and not have to jump), but still useful.

Or, as David continues:

but this is both uncommon and might not be costly when it does happen.

When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   Tim Ocean 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-October-19, 10:39

Ok guys, and what about something akin to
1-2
3-?

What am I supposed to do with relatively flat hand (5332)? Bid 3NT? Looks like 2/1 is GF in such situation ;/ And we may not have strength for 3NT ;/

#7 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-October-19, 10:42

View PostTim Ocean, on 2023-October-19, 10:39, said:

1-2
3-?

What am I supposed to do with relatively flat hand (5332)? Bid 3NT? Looks like 2/1 is GF in such situation ;/ And we may not have strength for 3NT ;/

3 generates a GF, this means the raise promises enough, so that you should assume, that you can make 3NT on power.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#8 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-October-19, 10:57

View PostTim Ocean, on 2023-October-19, 10:39, said:

1-2
3-?

This one I didn't used to treat as a GF in SAYC, but then again it's up to agreement.

In practice I play 1step up as minimum (could be a balanced 14) and after that either hand GF with 13+hcp. Other bids are GF

#9 User is offline   Tim Ocean 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-October-19, 11:07

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2023-October-19, 10:42, said:

3 generates a GF, this means the raise promises enough, so that you should assume, that you can make 3NT on power.

Thanks guys. That odd forcing rebid after 2/1 from SAYC was one of greatest misteries of bridge for me and you clarified it a lot. I switched to 2/1 with my permanent partner recently and this removes this idiosynracy but I wanted to understand this oddity. I try to give you pluses but this option seems to not work. :/

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-October-19, 15:28

View PostTim Ocean, on 2023-October-19, 11:07, said:

Thanks guys. That odd forcing rebid after 2/1 from SAYC was one of greatest misteries of bridge for me and you clarified it a lot. I switched to 2/1 with my permanent partner recently and this removes this idiosynracy but I wanted to understand this oddity. I try to give you pluses but this option seems to not work. :/

It will work when you have posted a bit longer.

#11 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-October-20, 14:24

This is one of the reasons that 2/1 has taken over with any pair that can both play it. I remember a "US vs Europe" invitational tournament (I think "Buffett Cup?") where everyone played with different partners on the team every session - so they had a "default card" people on each team would play with each other.

The US's was 2/1, Europe's was not - but there were exactly 5 auctions that were not GF. That lasted 2 days; and then they switched to 2/1 always GF. Because this is HARD to be precise on, harder than the 1NT forcing game, even for pros.

The way I was taught it (by JD, who will be well remembered by any long-time D18 player), in Standard (not specifically YC) a 2/1 promises a rebid unless opener bids 2NT or game. That's pretty easy to remember. It also means that as P_Marlowe says, 1-2; 3 shows extras and is GF; with diamond support and no extras, opener would bid 2NT.

As always, SAYC doesn't go into this in detail, because despite how it's been used since Matt Clegg posted it to OKB (1995 or so) it was designed as a system "all flight A" players in 1970 could play, not "system new players can learn"; so a lot of what's in there is "here are the standard decision points, and this is the choices we have made fore each." All the "so that implies <all this>" stuff is -- implied, because "all 1970 Flight A" players are assumed to know all that.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#12 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-October-20, 15:40

View PostTim Ocean, on 2023-October-19, 07:55, said:

The official ACBL's booklet on SAYC says:

The same writes Julian Pottage in his book on Standard American.

I have always had a problem with this agreement. I understand that bidding such as
1 - 2
2 - ?
should be forcing, because opener can have even 18 HCP. But what about rebid in his suit without jump such as
1 - 2
2 - ?
Is there a point in agreement that it is forcing?

I assume everywhere that 2/1 is SAYC-like, i.e. it is invitational+ (not GF).

It's long forgotten, but in 1960 Goren, any rebid above two of the original suit showed 16+ "points" and was game-forcing. The only downside of this was that opener sometimes had to rebid a 4-card suit. "It's better to lie about a deuce than a king."

#13 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-October-23, 02:57

I am curious what to make of the caveat "this applies when responder is an unpassed hand".

So which rebids by opener are forcing when responder is a passed hand?

Suppose you hold
Axxxxx
x
Ax
AKxx

You open 1 in 4th seat and hear a 2 response. If it is unclear what is now forcing, do you have to rebid 3 (or 4) as you would playing Acol?

GIB has the same issue. It plays 2/1 but when system is off (as after intervention, or opposite a passed hand) the forcing character of opener's rebids are unclear, and sometimes the passed hand will pass rebids that would be forcing even in stone-age Acol.

It seems to me that in SAYC, the forcing character of a 2/1 response should be the same by a passed hand (except of course that OPENER can pass anything). In 2/1 that wouldn't make sense since you can barely have a GF hand as a passed responder, but in SAYC I see no reason not to play the same system in all four seats.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-October-23, 08:42

View Posthelene_t, on 2023-October-23, 02:57, said:

I am curious what to make of the caveat "this applies when responder is an unpassed hand".

I believe the point is that a minimum opener might/should pass rather than raise. So the raise is forcing.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users