BBOFlash Comments Thread3 Release 6

#101 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-June-13, 10:40

chicken, on Jun 13 2008, 03:50 PM, said:

i missed the option to create a teaching table
i tried to load a teaching hand but didnt find a way to do this either

Sorry - you are going to have to wait for a future release. Our first official release will not support the creation/hosting of teaching tables.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#102 User is offline   chicken 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-June-14, 05:10

np, was afraid that i would have to restructure my complete teaching organisation.
Kom kit´cha vangar´th, kin patakh´ch vananch, pargh?

If it´s not important to win, tell me, why do they keep records?

(Barcht, Captain of Nir`ch Tyse´th, Klingon Warship)

www.bridgeball.de

#103 User is offline   Ant590 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-June-14, 13:26

I realize that you're still working on bugs and getting all the windows features in ... p-ship bidding too :)

But a feature request for your list: It'd be great to be able to view the tables that my friends are currently playing on / kibbing. This could, of course, be achieved on BBOwin via filters.

#104 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2008-June-14, 19:06

I'm experiencing a serious bug on a regular basis. I'm using Safari on a Mac, and when I play in a tourney (either a regular tourney or MBT), BBO Flash hangs at my first turn to bid. The bidding box doesn't come up, and none of the buttons react to clicks. If I close the window and login again, things then work. It only happens to the first tourney I join in a login session.

This started happening with the last 2 updates.

#105 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-June-15, 06:37

barmar, on Jun 15 2008, 01:06 AM, said:

I'm experiencing a serious bug on a regular basis. I'm using Safari on a Mac, and when I play in a tourney (either a regular tourney or MBT), BBO Flash hangs at my first turn to bid. The bidding box doesn't come up, and none of the buttons react to clicks. If I close the window and login again, things then work. It only happens to the first tourney I join in a login session.

Thanks for letting me know about this.

If you can e-mail a screenshot to fred@bridgebase.com when BBOFlash is in this state that would be great. Also can you please let me know:

1) Do you use hand diagram mode or pictures of cards?

2) What screen resolution do you have?

3) Can you please try resizing the browser window when BBOFlash is in this state and let me know what you see?

4) Does this always happen or only sometimes?

I will arrange to transfer some BB$ to your account as a small way to thank you for your ongoing help and try to make up for the inconvience you are suffereing as a result of this bug.

I am trying to figure out what is going on myself, but this might be difficult since it appears to be a Safari-only bug and I do not have easy access to a Mac...

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#106 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-June-15, 06:50

More questions...

When to you tend to hang out before a tournament starts? Kibitzing some other table? Waiting on the screen that lists the registrants? Somewhere else?

Thanks,

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#107 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-June-15, 07:41

BBO Flash hangs at my first turn to bid

B,

try clearing the Safari cache and restarting Safari if convenient to do so. Does that help?

Do you usually use the full-screen link or the 'in this browser' link when launching bblflash ?

Thanks -

Uday

#108 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2008-June-15, 12:24

fred, on Jun 15 2008, 08:37 AM, said:

I'm experiencing a serious bug on a regular basis.  I'm using Safari on a Mac, and when I play in a tourney (either a regular tourney or MBT), BBO Flash hangs at my first turn to bid.  The bidding box doesn't come up, and none of the buttons react to clicks.  If I close the window and login again, things then work.  It only happens to the first tourney I join in a login session.

Thanks for letting me know about this.

If you can e-mail a screenshot to fred@bridgebase.com when BBOFlash is in this state that would be great. Also can you please let me know:

1) Do you use hand diagram mode or pictures of cards?

2) What screen resolution do you have?

3) Can you please try resizing the browser window when BBOFlash is in this state and let me know what you see?

4) Does this always happen or only sometimes?

I will arrange to transfer some BB$ to your account as a small way to thank you for your ongoing help and try to make up for the inconvience you are suffereing as a result of this bug.

I am trying to figure out what is going on myself, but this might be difficult since it appears to be a Safari-only bug and I do not have easy access to a Mac...

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

I don't think you'll get much from a screen shot -- it looks normal, but the bid box doesn't appear and buttons don't work. But I'll send one when I get a chance.

1) I use diagram mode.

2) My Mac at home is 1680x1050. My Mac at work has 2 screens with spanning, a small laptop screen and a large external monitor, but I don't remember the resolutions.

3) I'll try the resize thing and let you know.

4) I think it has happened every time since I played in an ACBL tourney or MBT since 6/7. Since the June 2 release, I played in MBT on 6/4 and I don't think it happened. And I just started an MBT now and it didn't.

Thanks for the BB$, although the inconvenience is minimal.

I usually hang out kibitzing while waiting. When I just joined and it didn't fail, I was in the registration screen, and also had my tourney history displaying (so I could answer #4). I had also cleared my cache as Uday asked.

I use the "In this browser" link, saved as a bookmark.

Other information: at work I use Flash 9.0.124, at home I use Flash beta 10.0b218.

#109 User is offline   ng:) 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2008-June-15, 17:11

I tried to access many time (whole day), but I had no luck:

'Firefox can't find the server at www.bbotv.com.'

Opera:
'You tried to access the address http://www.bbotv.com...v13/bbo.php?m=k, which is currently unavailable.'

Older beta does not work, too. (I cleared my browsers cache.) BBOWin is O.K.

Gabor

#110 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2008-June-17, 00:00

This sounds like a problem with your ISP's DNS, it can't look up the www.bbotv.com server name that BBOTV and BBO Flash.

#111 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2008-June-17, 00:45

It just hung on me tonight when I joined an MBT. I was kibitzing a team game, was whisked away to the game, and it got stuck when it was my first turn to bid. So I think we have some evidence that the problem occurs when you're not in the tourney lobby when the game starts.

I tried resizing the window, but it was ignored just like everything else in the game.

I'll send Fred the screen shot.

#112 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-June-17, 09:13

barmar, on Jun 17 2008, 06:45 AM, said:

It just hung on me tonight when I joined an MBT. I was kibitzing a team game, was whisked away to the game, and it got stuck when it was my first turn to bid. So I think we have some evidence that the problem occurs when you're not in the tourney lobby when the game starts.

I tried resizing the window, but it was ignored just like everything else in the game.

Thanks Barry. This info made it easy for me to replicate and fix the bug.

We have uploaded a new version but you will have to clear your browser's cache to ensure that you get the latest files. Not sure if this will work on all machines if you are running BBOFlash at the time you clear your cache.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#113 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2008-June-17, 22:30

Works better, thanks for the quick fix.

#114 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2008-June-18, 18:12

barmar, on Jun 5 2008, 12:16 PM, said:

Is anyone concerned that someone might be offended by the "wardrobe malfunction" in the graphic that goes along with "Play against robots" when you first connect? Or is that a cyber-bra?

:P

Hmm, looks like the reaction was to replace Rosie the Robot with ads. That'll teach me to complain.

#115 User is offline   svs108 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2008-June-19, 07:43

I tried out the flash version. It is of course great for all the alternate OS people (I am also experimenting with Ubuntu) and seems the way to go. Also in one window, almost all the information has been arranged. Maybe a few colour corrections are required, but nothing major on that front, will just take a little getting used to.

My vote is for the mouse over.

I have just tried it out for not a very long time, but if anybody can clear up a few issues for me and my humble views on the new version:

1. It is slow. And I do have a decent PC. It is just slow as compared to the older version.

2. The clarity is also somewhat lacking, maybe it is the anti-aliasing in flash. I do not know how to explain it. Clear type is disabled on my LCD (I find it a bit blurry) and everything is very sharp. In the flash version, it looks like Nokia PC Suite - the text is all blurry.

3. I suggest rather than the tabbed version of the results, a horizontal split (like the old version) gives more information at a glance. One has to again click back and forth. Again I cannot get the leads for the other tables. Is there an option to show this?

4. Where is the option to enable keyboard entry? It really is much better for the old carpal tunnel syndrome.

5. Can you please improve on the 'host' icon? It really looks a bit wishy washy.

6. The options seem really limited. But then you have already felt that this is better.

7. Where is the option to fix South? The results and player placements then keep changing and becomes confusing.

I am not a very advanced player, so cannot comment on the tourneys and other stuff, but hope my feedback helps.

#116 User is offline   Mr. Dodgy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge (duh), mathematics, Information Technology, fantasy fiction and role-playing games, flirting with girls, eight-ball pool and snooker, dancing, drinking, The Simpsons, House, Futurama, The X-Files...

Posted 2008-June-19, 08:48

I just witnessed something odd. I'm not sure if it's bug, per se, but...

I like the 'substitute any' option :)

I was a sub in a TM just now, our table finished well ahead of the the other. While I was playing, the barometer seemed to be working fine. When we finished, I went to kibitz the other table, it seemed to completely stop updating.

i.e. it was a 38-board match. When my table finished, they were playing board 33 at the other table. the 'other table' contract, results, and scores were there for boards 1-32, but nothing for boards 33 onwards.

The following screenshots were taken moments apart, as the 'other table' was on the final board:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#117 User is offline   DaveG36 

• Pip

Posted 2008-June-19, 13:16

Well, after going through the 8 pages of replies to this thread most of my questions were answered. Comments:

No lobby chat - not surprised to see this go I suppose, but it was a good thing for a few reasons:

1)It was a place for new members to ask questions of the group, either about the software, general questions on bridge, or to get opinions on hands
2)Incomplete tables to ask for ppl to fill in (probably the best arguement to keep the Lobby)
3)Tourney announcements/requests for subs (I realize some ppl abused this, but maybe you could add something that mutes/disconnects people if they do repeat requests as I've seen in some chat rooms)

...and occasionally someone would say something amusing to the Lobby :)

No list of all members online - also not a surprise, but I noticed I'm not the only one who noticed it missing :)

One thing I didn't see addressed was the Other Bridge Activties option in BBOWin, specifcally Partnership Bidding tables. Will these be added back in future releases (or are they there now and I just missed it)?

#118 User is offline   aacol 

• Pip

Posted 2008-June-19, 16:16

A huge thanks from a MAC user!! I hope I can throw away that windows emulator now - I only got it to use BBO.

Lawrence
Lawrence

#119 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2008-June-19, 16:58

fred, on Jun 17 2008, 11:13 AM, said:

It just hung on me tonight when I joined an MBT.  I was kibitzing a team game, was whisked away to the game, and it got stuck when it was my first turn to bid.  So I think we have some evidence that the problem occurs when you're not in the tourney lobby when the game starts.

We have uploaded a new version but you will have to clear your browser's cache to ensure that you get the latest files. Not sure if this will work on all machines if you are running BBOFlash at the time you clear your cache.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

I may have been premature in confirming that te bug was fixed. It worked that night on my Mac at home, but yesterday and today I got the hang on my Mac at work (OS X 10.4.11, Flash 9.0.124). Yes, I did clear my cache before loading BBO Flash.

If it makes a difference, I was kibitzing Vugraph both times while waiting for MBT to start. When I confirmed that things were better the other night, I think I was kibitzing MBC.

#120 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-June-19, 18:11

barmar, on Jun 19 2008, 10:58 PM, said:

fred, on Jun 17 2008, 11:13 AM, said:

It just hung on me tonight when I joined an MBT.  I was kibitzing a team game, was whisked away to the game, and it got stuck when it was my first turn to bid.  So I think we have some evidence that the problem occurs when you're not in the tourney lobby when the game starts.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

I may have been premature in confirming that te bug was fixed. It worked that night on my Mac at home, but yesterday and today I got the hang on my Mac at work (OS X 10.4.11, Flash 9.0.124). Yes, I did clear my cache before loading BBO Flash.

If it makes a difference, I was kibitzing Vugraph both times while waiting for MBT to start. When I confirmed that things were better the other night, I think I was kibitzing MBC.

Can you please try restarting your computer and then clearing the cache again? If that doesn't help, if you normally use Safari, and if you have access to another browser please give that a try. We have good reason to believe that some versions of Safari do not always get along smoothly with BBOFlash.

I am confident I fixed the problem you were having before and my attempts to replicate any new problem associated with vugraph have so far failed.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users