BBO Discussion Forums: Getting the best results with a bad partner - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Getting the best results with a bad partner

#1 User is offline   kereru67 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-September-13, 04:56

Something I've never seen covered in a bridge book is how to get the best results with a partner who has trouble counting to 13, leads 4th best from QJTxx, passes forcing bids, thinks every single 4NT bid is Blackwood and every single 4C bid is Gerber etc etc. There are many such players at my club :)

Any tips?

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-September-13, 05:56

View Postkereru67, on 2012-September-13, 04:56, said:

Something I've never seen covered in a bridge book is how to get the best results with a partner who has trouble counting to 13, leads 4th best from QJTxx, passes forcing bids, thinks every single 4NT bid is Blackwood and every single 4C bid is Gerber etc etc. There are many such players at my club :)

Any tips?

Try "Why You Lose at Bridge" by SJ Simon. An oldie but a goodie. Much of the bidding conversation is outdated, but you can follow it, and the rest is ageless.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-September-13, 06:04

What is your goal at this club?

1. Do you want to have fun? Stay at home, watch TV or have sex. You may play snooker or try some knitting, too.

2. Do you want to support partner? Play your normal game and talk about the hands later. Praise him for all missed blunders.

3. Do you want to win at all costs?
Play only his conventions and his system. if this is transfers, Gerber and old Black, so be it. Add nothing fancy or new. Don't waste energy with showing the advantages of 5 card majors over 4 card majors (or vice versa).
Handhog the hand.
You must be declarer in all situations possible. To be Dummy is his strongest part of the game. Sacrifice when you are declarer, but seldom with him being declarer...
Open NT a little offshape and with 14-18 (13-19 with novices...)
Always rebid NT, don't raise him. Your 1 NT is superior to his 2 Spade in a 4-4 fit.
7/4 fits in Hearts play great in NT if he has the hearts.
Jump to 4 of a major after his 1 NT opening, even in a 5-2 fit.

This will give you better results, but if your victims (there are not partners any more) find out about your attitude, you may be quite alone after a while. Start again with point one and try point two. Makes much more fun then Nr 3, at least for me.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-13, 10:02

If you want to win respond 1nt with 4 card majors in a 4x3 (even if they open a major) and open 1nt with 5 card majors and 5-4-2-2 (but not both majors) shapes and include chunky 14 counts.

And never double them if it might be only down 2.

Also overcall like a bandit including 4 card suits when white and be super conservative when red.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-13, 10:41

If you are already going to do poor, let the guy play some hands, he isn't going to get any better being dummy all the time and it isn't that fun either.

If your results so far have kept you competitive, be a hand hog :) Doing well is generally always fun, especially for weak players.

#6 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-September-13, 10:52

I feel your pain...My partner and I average around 50% at our club...he is happy, but I know with another partner I can easily add 5-10+% every time. Even when I play with my beginner g/f, we tend to often place in the top 3.

I preempt aggressively when I believe I will play. I concentrate on making life difficult for the opponents. I overcall aggressively and will often try to declare a lot when he is having a very bad night. For example...a hand we played today..

Partner holds...
AKxx
AKxxxx
x
xx

I hold...
Jxxx
Q
xxx
AQJxx

1H-1S
2H-3C
3S-AP

He opens 1H, I choose to show my major 1st, although I was debating bidding 2C instead. Partner bids...2H. I decide to keep trying and bid 3C. He follows with his 3S bid. After I pass he is angry and refusing to believe that this is not a forcing bid.

The worst part for me is that I am trying to take my bidding/play to the next level. I have been playing bridge for about 18 months or so and have learned a lot playing on BBO, watching matches/VGs, reading these forums. He is a nice guy, but ending this partnership has been hard for me to do.
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-September-13, 13:11

Patient: It hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Don't do that.

You're not going to find much literature about playing with a bad partner simply because the best advice is to get a different partner. Bridge is a partnership game, you can't expect to do well, or even learn much, by playing in a poor partnership.

I feel your pain, though. I've been playing with the same regular partner for over a decade. He's the nicest guy around (everyone envies me for that), and he's not a bad player, either -- we've done reasonably well in Flight B in the past few years. But now we're in Flight A (well, I am, because I go to lots of nationals, while he stays home for them), and I think we may have hit a plateau as a partnership. I could probably improve my game if I played more with other partners, but we have a good rapport. So I'm sticking with him.

#8 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-September-13, 13:22

View PostRunemPard, on 2012-September-13, 10:52, said:

I feel your pain...My partner and I average around 50% at our club...he is happy, but I know with another partner I can easily add 5-10+% every time. Even when I play with my beginner g/f, we tend to often place in the top 3.

I preempt aggressively when I believe I will play. I concentrate on making life difficult for the opponents. I overcall aggressively and will often try to declare a lot when he is having a very bad night. For example...a hand we played today..

Partner holds...
AKxx
AKxxxx
x
xx

I hold...
Jxxx
Q
xxx
AQJxx

1H-1S
2H-3C
3S-AP

He opens 1H, I choose to show my major 1st, although I was debating bidding 2C instead. Partner bids...2H. I decide to keep trying and bid 3C. He follows with his 3S bid. After I pass he is angry and refusing to believe that this is not a forcing bid.

IHe's right, 3S is forcing.
2H was a very odd call, though.

#9 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-13, 13:33

Indeed, an odd auction.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-September-13, 13:34

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-September-13, 13:22, said:

More to the point, 3 should be game forcing, so he doesn't have to worry about whether his bids are forcing.

Agreed. Having not supported earlier, his delayed 3 sounds like only 3-card support, and might even be honor doubleton because you should have at least 5 spades in this auction.

2 was a significant underbid, 3 would be much better. Give you a slightly better hand and you should be able to make a spade slam.

#11 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-13, 13:34

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-September-13, 13:22, said:

What does partner(the 2H bidder) do with
kqx
akxxxx
xx
xx

#12 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-September-13, 13:44

This is not directly on point (or is it?), but sometimes aggressive catering to partner's failings may pay dividends.

Years ago, a nice lady from my home town was unable to attain LM status because she could not get her gold points. So, I decided to set upon a project. After a few games with her, I realized that one major problem was her timidity, an insanely so. She would have considered Roth and Stone to be crazy overbidders. Passing was her favorite bid.

So, I devised a relatively simple system with light initial action. We opened almost every 8-count. She was required to overcall 0-count hands if she had a five-card suit on the side. In other words, I forced her to bid on utter garbage. Now, for me this had some interesting results, like being able to spot a 3-5 fit after 1-P-1, where I could overcall 2 with a 3-card suit naturally, to play. But, I digress...

What this did was to teach her more effectively than any other means the concept of points schmoints, the benefit of obstruction, and the like. It also created an insane world for the opponents to enter, as a result of which no one had a clue what was going on. This was good, because I figured that I would do much better with all four players clueless than with just me and partner clueless, and I got really good at essentially no-peek bridge.

The end result was a series of nice wins and plenty of gold points to put her well over her needs.

Now, that might be extreme, but the general idea is sound. If you have a brainless partner who has a specific situation type that recurs, maybe try finding a tool (even if that tool is nuts for good players) to combat that failing. One insane thiong I see a lot is people who transfer and then jump to game in a major with a 5-card suit. This is of course dumb, but explaining this never seems to work with some people. The problem is that they do not feel like they bid the 5-card suit if all they did was to transfer. So, make 1NT-P-3M invitational, but then make a transfer followed by rebidding the suit game-forcing:

1NT-P-3 = invitational
1NT-P-2(hearts)-P-2-P-3 = GF

This is a dumb way to play. But, it lets them bid their hearts twice with five of them, which comforts them. So, play that. Or, skip transfers altogether!

You can also protect against partners by making some unorthodox plays on defense. For example, what do you lead from K-9-3-2? Obviously, the 2 seems clear. But, there is a lot to be said for the lead of the King with the dolt. That way, Declarer with Q-4 opposite J-5 does not win a trick. Plus, if partner has the Queen and Jack, he won't pitch it as soon as possible and won't be afraid to lead it later.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#13 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-13, 14:08

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-September-13, 13:44, said:

Years ago, a nice lady from my home town was unable to attain LM status because she could not get her gold points.

Many of our local players in that time frame couldn't tell you when they made life master but could tell you in great detail when they put Dolly over the top.

I played with Michelle, a friends girlfriend who was being taken advantage of as a novice and told her that p - p to her was a mandatrory opening and if I opened, we declared or she must double them. We scratched with 55% or so.

Next game her boyfriend said "What did you do to Michelle? She doubled ME twice!" (and any player that thought they were good the rest of the time). They scratched too.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#14 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-September-13, 14:16

View Postggwhiz, on 2012-September-13, 14:08, said:

Many of our local players in that time frame couldn't tell you when they made life master but could tell you in great detail when they put Dolly over the top.

I played with Michelle, a friends girlfriend who was being taken advantage of as a novice and told her that p - p to her was a mandatrory opening and if I opened, we declared or she must double them. We scratched with 55% or so.

Next game her boyfriend said "What did you do to Michelle? She doubled ME twice!"

LOL!

On a similar note, one of my favorite experiences was playing with a pickup partner in DC. At about the third hand, he doubled my LHO's opening, and the double turned out later to be penalty. So, I knew I was in for a ride. On the last hand of the set, the auction was 1NT-P-3NT to me, and I held a 4-4-2-3 yarborough. So, I doubled of course.

Declarer ended up down one because he played everything wrong, as expected.

The best part, however, was Declarer's reaction. Declarer was obviously a young player who had a brain for the game. Without making any comments or showing any signs of frustration or anger at what had happened, or even blinking, he turned to me and asked whether he could have unwound the diamond suit and made the contract in the end. I responded that he knew that I had nothing, and that therefore the solution was an intrafinesse to smother my 10-x in diamonds. He agreed that this was obvious in retrospect, and we had a nice smoke discussing bridge theory.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#15 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-13, 14:28

Sorry for disagreeing, but those of you saying 3 is forcing are assuming I had a hand worthy of a 3 bid to begin with. Based on my partner's bidding and my hand, 3 is 100% NF IMO. Partner thinks that I have 5 and could easily have 3 card support with a hand like...

Kxx
AKxxxx
Qx
xx

Honestly...with Jxxx in s, 3 junk s, and most values in s, I would rather just sit on 3 at MP. He limited his hand to me when he is sitting on a gold mine.
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

#16 User is offline   Balrog49 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, reading, history.

Posted 2012-September-13, 15:07

View Postkereru67, on 2012-September-13, 04:56, said:

Any tips?

My experience in this area is primarily the New England Regional Individual, in which you get some really awful partners. Here's what's worked for me:
  • Keep a smile on your face no matter what happens.
  • Don't discuss poor results at the table unless partner asks you to teach while playing.
  • Don't expect partner to understand anything sophisticated. Use only the most straightforward bidding sequences and defensive strategies.
  • Mastermind like crazy. It's better to play the hand in the wrong strain than to watch partner throw away tricks in the right strain.

#17 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-September-13, 16:47

View PostRunemPard, on 2012-September-13, 14:28, said:

Sorry for disagreeing, but those of you saying 3 is forcing are assuming I had a hand worthy of a 3 bid to begin with. Based on my partner's bidding and my hand, 3 is 100% NF IMO. Partner thinks that I have 5 and could easily have 3 card support with a hand like...

Kxx
AKxxxx
Qx
xx

Honestly...with Jxxx in s, 3 junk s, and most values in s, I would rather just sit on 3 at MP. He limited his hand to me when he is sitting on a gold mine.

Your partner is right, 3 is forcing. 3 is a game-forcing call, so all calls after that are forcing by definition until you reach game. Though I have to admit the defense that "I misbid so badly early in the auction that I felt it was right to pass a forcing bid" is unique.

Stop being concerned with your own superiority, and listen to players like Frances, and perhaps listen to your partner also.

Also, seriously, at 18 months playing this game there's a strong likelihood that you don't know what you don't know. Don't teach partner, instead take problem hands to an expert and have them go over auctions/bids by both sides and come up with take-aways.

Edit: Thanks Gwnn, did not mean to misspell Frances's name.
Chris Gibson

#18 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-September-13, 16:55

As to the OP - The best way to do well with bad players is to recognize what type of bad player they are, and start hedging your auctions to their disabilities. Are they a bad opening leader? Overcall more aggressively with lead-directional suits. Are they too timid? Compensate by being a touch more aggressive in your own bidding. Are they an awful declarer? Then minimum game forcing hands become invitational if they are to play it, and invitations are constructive calls if they are to play it. Hope that you are 2 levels lower, making 2 when others are down 1 in 4. If you are declaring, of course, then you can bid the full value of your hand.

Most of all, handle partner. Do not try and teach them anything - it will confuse them, and make them play worse. Instead, praise them for their small victories and commisserate with their defeats. Encourage them. So much of the game is mental, you want them concentrating and playing to the best of their ability, not worrying about the last hand and how they might have played it better.
Chris Gibson

#19 User is offline   ash1968 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-September-13, 18:53

How to play bridge with your spouse and survive (Teukolsky?) - just kidding darling!

#20 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-14, 01:24

I am going to make a different thread for this hand..sorry if it is a derail.

View PostCSGibson, on 2012-September-13, 16:47, said:

Your partner is right, 3 is forcing. 3 is a game-forcing call, so all calls after that are forcing by definition until you reach game. Though I have to admit the defense that "I misbid so badly early in the auction that I felt it was right to pass a forcing bid" is unique.

Stop being concerned with your own superiority, and listen to players like Frances, and perhaps listen to your partner also.

Also, seriously, at 18 months playing this game there's a strong likelihood that you don't know what you don't know. Don't teach partner, instead take problem hands to an expert and have them go over auctions/bids by both sides and come up with take-aways.

Edit: Thanks Gwnn, did not mean to misspell Frances's name.

Okay then, tell me what hands partner can possibly have that would bid 2H followed by good support for 4S after?

AKx
AKxxxx
xx
xx or singleton or whatever

Is possible I suppose...

AQx
AKxxxx
xx
xx or singleton or whatever

Should I honestly be expecting a 46(21) hand here with AK AK in majors? With the bidding as it was, can you honestly blame me for stopping at 3S?

Yes, my 3C bid may not have been my best option. But should I continue bidding? Possibly 3H was a better bid by me, that I may agree to, but I must say parding him often leaves me guessing more times than not. I rarely know what to expect any more. And simply because I argue what someone has to say about my judgment of a hand does not mean I have a superiority issue. I know I am not perfect, this auction was bad on both sides.

Again, playing standard, what should I be expecting from partner after this?

Let's say we are playing 2/1 rather than typical Swedish Modern Standard. Is bidding 2C 1st even really an option? Had I bid 2C I would hope that partner shows spades next, rebidding hearts later.

Thanks,

Don

Also, I have tried going over hands with him many times in the past. It is quite simply, pointless. A player who constantly fails to draw remaining trumps, even in 9 card fits with no reason to not do so, is not a player who will gain much from going over hands. I am just frustrated and trying to get a new partner without hurting his feelings. Maybe that is where my "superiority" issues are coming from.

Edit: One other thing to mention...I know my partner, and I guarentee 100% that if for some reason I bid the hand the same way and the bidding came to this exact spot, same bids, he would pass. The only reason he says that his bid is forcing, is because he has cards this time. This is how he always is. I swear!

The last time we played..2 hands went me opening..

1m-1M-1N-2M-AP

Each time partner had a decent opening hand himself. I will gladly listen to Frances or anyone else on these forums, I will give my own thoughts and arguements as well, but I will pass on the advice of listening to my partner.

This post has been edited by RunemPard: 2012-September-14, 04:18

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users