• 2 Pages +

Best Defence to 1NT

#21 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2015-August-07, 05:55

View Postgwnn, on 2015-August-07, 02:46, said:

You can try 2C=majors, 2D=bad hand with a major, 2M=opening hand with a major.

What would you bid here?

#22 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-07, 07:08

View PostLiversidge, on 2015-August-07, 05:55, said:

What would you bid here?

Well, X maybe. Put it this way I'd rather X with 14 and a lead than 15 and no good lead. If X is too racy for you, playing gwn's system you're left presumably with pass (OK), or if you're desperate for tops and don't mind bottoms, 3 (I wouldn't recommend it).

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#23 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-August-07, 07:54

I'd pass with that hand unless I'd play X as described in my post (or it goes without saying that I'd double if we play).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#24 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-18, 17:46

An ACBL GLM came up with this one the other day, called it Jumpball:

X -->2!C. Now pass w/!C, 2!D = !D & !H, 2!H = !H & !S, 2!S = good w/!S.
2!C-->2!D. Now pass w/!D, 2M = M & !C
2M= natch
2N = minors

#25 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-19, 03:19

View PostFlem72, on 2015-August-18, 17:46, said:

An ACBL GLM came up with this one the other day, called it Jumpball:

X -->2!C. Now pass w/!C, 2!D = !D & !H, 2!H = !H & !S, 2!S = good w/!S.
2!C-->2!D. Now pass w/!D, 2M = M & !C
2M= natch
2N = minors

Would it not be easier to have X, then 2M to be M+ and 2 followed by 2M to be M+ (or vice versa) with X then 2 being both majors? That seems easier to remember and slightly more workable in competition as well as closing the (strange) hole of + present in the original scheme. Not that either method is a good idea for N/B players imho. Then again, nor is my defence, which is why I did not post it here (for a change).
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#26 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-19, 07:30

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-August-19, 03:19, said:

Would it not be easier to have X, then 2M to be M+ and 2 followed by 2M to be M+ (or vice versa) with X then 2 being both majors? That seems easier to remember and slightly more workable in competition as well as closing the (strange) hole of + present in the original scheme. Not that either method is a good idea for N/B players imho. Then again, nor is my defence, which is why I did not post it here (for a change).

2D = D & S. My bad for the omission....

#27 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-January-31, 15:38

Astro is a step up from Landy in frequency and is reasonably easy to learn and play. As noted by other correspondents it has its limitations

#28 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-January-31, 16:47

I like Modified Crowhurst:
  • DB = 10+ HCP 4+ M 5+m (RAPTOR) then 2 = P/C 2 asks for M
  • 2 = MM
  • 2 = 6+ M (MULTI)
  • 2M = 5+ M & 4+ m.
  • 2N = mm.

Raptor is quite frequent so reaps more penalties than powerhouse penalty-doubles.

Over all these, 2N = enquiry with similar responses
  • 3/ = MIN
  • 3/ = MAX
  • 3N = same as 3 but also showing high-ranking fragment).

e.g.

After (1N) 2 (P) 2N (P) ??
  • 3 = MIN with (Cheaper for cheaper).
  • 3 = MIN with
  • 3 = MAX with (Paradox to right-side contract).
  • 3 = MAX with .
  • 3N = MAX with and OM fragment.

After (1N) DB (P) 2D (P) 2M (P) 2N (P) ??
  • 3 = MIN with .
  • 3 = MIN with .
  • 3 = MAX with .
  • 3 = MAX with .
  • 3N = MAX with and OM fragment.

#29 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-February-01, 06:17

Ideally you want a convention which allows you to get the majors into the auction quickly, something like Landy or multi-Landy, but ultimately, whatever convention you adopt, you will soon pick up a hand where you wish you were playing a different one (that is my experience anyway).

#30 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-01, 14:25

One advantage to being a beginner is that you don't usually have a lot of "unused" methods in your head about which to obsess over when your agreed method doesn't work out so well.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#31 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-07, 00:21

At what stage in history did novice and beginner become intermediate plus

There are people playing who don't even understand the basics of the game

I use Cappeletti/Hamilton since it's what the bot uses and I had never learned a defence before or even what it meant. I've read up on DONT. They all are basically variants on a theme

When I learned to play any bid over weak NT was a natural bid. A suit was what I had and double was penalty

#32 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-07, 03:42

I agree with the possum. Many of these are not methods for inexperienced pairs. Landy is the simplest. If you want to play something more comprehensive with a regular partner, Astro is fine.

There is a good description on the Bridgebum website here: Astro Bridge Convention - Bidding and Responses (bridgebum.com)

#33 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-February-07, 04:50

View PostDouglas43, on 2021-February-07, 03:42, said:

I agree with the possum. Many of these are not methods for inexperienced pairs.
Ying Piper adopted a different approach. When introducing Bridge to primary school children, she taught them full standard 2/1. She reckoned that they would appreciate effective main-stream bidding-tools, that potential partners might understand; and they would have less to unlearn, later. Her novel, brave approach paid off. Her charges loved it and took to Bridge like ducks to water. They performed well in competition with secondary school children,

#34 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-07, 08:36

View Postnige1, on 2021-February-07, 04:50, said:

Ying Piper adopted a different approach. When introducing Bridge to primary schoolchildren, she taught them full standard 2/1. She reckoned that they would appreciate effective bidding tools. And they would have less to unlearn, later. Her novel, brave approach paid off. Her charges loved it and took to Bridge like ducks to water. They performed well in competition with secondary school children,

I stand corrected Nigel, You make a fair point about younger learners and my advice is age-specific. Please ignore it if you are a reader under 30. I learned as a teenager memorised all sort of gadgets really easily. Our university team included pairs playing Precision with all the whirly bits, Vienna Club, Schenken Club and a Strong Diamond system.

Following a successful teaching programme by another person on the Island we have plenty of adults who are taking up bridge or returning to it at middle age and upwards. For them I would definitely recommend not over-complicating matters. The memory just doesn't seem to work the same way...

#35 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-07, 10:20

View PostDouglas43, on 2021-February-07, 08:36, said:

Following a successful teaching programme by another person on the Island we have plenty of adults who are taking up bridge or returning to it at middle age and upwards. For them I would definitely recommend not over-complicating matters. The memory just doesn't seem to work the same way...

Many if not most adults have lost the sense of wonder they had when they were children. That's a shame, but it's true.

"It's amazing how much mature wisdom resembles being too tired" -- R. A. Heinlein
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#36 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-09, 18:20

View Postnige1, on 2021-February-07, 04:50, said:

Ying Piper adopted a different approach. When introducing Bridge to primary school children, she taught them full standard 2/1. She reckoned that they would appreciate effective main-stream bidding-tools, that potential partners might understand; and they would have less to unlearn, later. Her novel, brave approach paid off. Her charges loved it and took to Bridge like ducks to water. They performed well in competition with secondary school children,

I don't know. The point I was making is there are early beginners loading up with tome after tome of complex bidding systems who dont actually have a clue about the fundamental principles of the game. My philosophy actually applies to anything. I prefer broader intellect and feel and less dependence on extreme technical approaches. Thats just me. Old fashioned I guess

The whole world is going excessive technical, overfitted, overcomplex and in my view actually getting worse and often the wrong answer. Like sitting in a lecture theatre with a basic bit of mathematical manipulation on the board leading to a solution that can only be represented as a fraction (or infinite series whatever) and everyone in the class going for their calculators or spreadsheets to work it out and get the wrong answer

But seriously. If you sit at a table with 3 strangers what is the best approach to a fun game :)

#37 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-09, 22:31

If I was teaching rank beginners, I'd teach them EHAA. No conventions. *Maybe* a basic Stayman. Certainly no blackwood.

Let them development judgement.

The nice thing about playing 4cd suits + mini NT is that you don't NEED any conventions for basic constructive bidding.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users